Help me choose a helmet intercom/bluetooth system - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Which should I buy?
Cardo Scala Rider G4 Powerset 2 33.33%
Sena SMD10D-01B 4 66.67%
uClear HBC 100 (qty 2) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 3:33 am Thread Starter

Question Help me choose a helmet intercom/bluetooth system

I just purchased a 2011 BMW R1200RT. It came with the awesome radio system which can pair with two helmets. My wife wants an intercom system and wants to be able to hear music and take cell calls. *She uses a full-face helmet and I use a flip-face (Nolan N102 w/o the radio stuff). *Prior to this bike, I used my Rio Karma and some Shure E4Cs for music, so bonus for being able to use those earphones too..

I've done a bunch of research and have narrowed it down to these three products. I would really like some opinion, especially from people with any of these systems and if anyone has a 2010+ R1200RT with that sirius radio, how do they pair?

The units I'm looking at are:So, opinions?

My needs: Great intercom on-bike. must play well with BMW radio, must pair with a Samsung Vibrant (android). Would be nice to have earbud jacks, would be GREAT to have no boom-mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 6:46 am

Re: Help me choose a helmet intercom/bluetooth system

I have a Sena SMH10 installed on both my HJC full face (IS-16) and my wifes HJC Symax II modular. I decided on this particular unit after a lot of research as well. Most of the decision was made easy by the extensive reviews of bluetooth comm systems on my favorite go to website www.webbikeworld.com

This system met all my needs in trying to go completely wireless. I have a 2010 RT but I don't have the radio system. I purchased a Samsung MP3 (bluetooth) player which has a capacity of 16G. It has paired quite well with the Sena. I also have one for my wife since you can't stream music from one device to both headsets. This is nice actually because we can each listen to our own tunes and answer our own calls without interupting each other. BTW, I do not have my phone paired to this system on purpose. I do not talk on the phone while I'm riding.

While this system is not absolutely perfect, it's headed in the right direction. My only complaint so far is the volume. I always wear ear plugs when I ride and at full volume on the Sena and the bluetooth MP3 I find myself wishing for one more notch of volume. This could be solved by either placing a spacer behind the speakers and moving them closer to my ears or just leave the plugs out, which I'm not inclined to do. I think I'll fiddle with the speakers and get them closer to my ears and see how that works. The volume level is also dependent on the volume level of the recorded song, so some songs are sufficiently loud, others a little less. BTW, the Sena is known to be the loudest of all these types of comm systems.

This particular unit has a 3.5 plug port for in ear speakers as well so that might be an option for you.

Before you make a decision, read the reviews at webbikeworld.com

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 9:46 am

http://jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

HSEBLU629edr-ff FOR THE WIFE

HSEBLU629edr-fl FOR YOU

Love mine! speakers are excellent, upgradeable fimware. Full Face model is not a boom mic but is contersink into chin bar.

I use it with a Zumo 665, for XM and Mp3, Paired with my phone and my wife's unit!

The sound is amazing and tons of volume, excellent customer service.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Jul 17th, 2011 at 1:28 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 10:21 am

I was a firm believer of Autocom, having had two different Autocom systems on my 2000LT. When I purchased a used 2008RT it had the J&M CB installed. The J&M far surpasses the sound quality of the Autocom. The intercom works great and I have a xm receiver working through it. I did purchase a boosteroo device to increase the sound of the xm. Before I installed it, I would have to cramp up the volume to hear the xm, now I do not have to adjust the volume at all. The RT does have the radio feature. The only thing that I am trying (not too hard) to figure out is how to connect the Motorola HF820 bluetooth device to the system, and eventually my Valentine 1 radar detector.
Good luck in your decision!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:38 pm

We have the nolan n103 with the bluetooth and like the alot

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Forgot to mention, the Sena SMH10 dual pack can be had for less than 300.00 and if the radio system on your RT is a bluetooth system, I see no reason why it wouldn't pair with the Sena SMH10. It paired with everything I have.

There are sorts of accessories for this unit including a fixed mic instead of the boom mic which you're trying to avoid. Quite frankly, I like the boom mic set up. It's very easy to reposition it to fit closer to your mouth while in motion. It is not so sensitive that it has to be right against your mouth like the Autocom...

It's the bargain of the century IMHO...

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100

Last edited by Brian-NC; Jul 17th, 2011 at 3:53 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in