Successful cell phone/comm system setup!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Successful cell phone/comm system setup!!

Alot of us have been trying,unsuccessfully,to get cell phones to work with the comm systems. I did it last night. Here's my current setup and it works in all comm modes (Aux, Radio, Intercom, CD). Incoming calls stop music while on the call.

'09 LT
Voice Comm II
BMW (Garmin) Nav IV
HTC Evo 4G cell phone
J & M Performance Headsets (not bluetooth)
J & M cord (3.5 mm 3 ring male end to 2.5 mm 2 ring male end) part# JMSR-AC19-BCS $39.99) BTW, John at J&M is a really good guy to work with. I emailed him repeatedly about the cord after I received it (and before my phone arrived). He answered my emails and seemed genuinely trying to help. I have no connection to J&M and I haven't dealt much with them before but I will certainly not hesitate in the future.

I got my new Evo phone yesterday. Ordered the JM cord a couple of weeks ago hoping it would work since it apparently works (and is made for Iphones and Blackberrys and I've tried about everything else. I formerly was able to hear people calling but couldn't talk back. The JM cord fixes that). Plugged the cord into the phone and the comm system "phone" jack and it worked perfectly. I haven't played with it much more because I had to get to work. My next endeavor will be to pair the phone with the Nav IV but I doubt that will work since the Nav IV is designed for bluetooth headsets. We'll see. Anyway, if you're as frustrated as I've been about phone calls, this works. The new phone will also replace the Ipod and play all my recorded music also. Hope this works for you all also.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 9:53 am

Re: Successful cell phone/comm system setup!!

I was told the cord from j & m might not work on a DROID x phone. Can anyone confirm this?
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:27 am

The iphone of course wires the outputs and mike connections differently than all the others, Blackberry copied them so the I phone lead should work with the Blackberry. I am not sure about the droid, If they followed iphone and blackberry the i phone lead should work, If not just look for a std 4 pole 3.5mm cord to a 4 pole 3.5mm lead and it should work (I do not know what the input for the bmw later com systems looks like. Kieth

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Horse
Alot of us have been trying,unsuccessfully,to get cell phones to work with the comm systems. I did it last night. Here's my current setup and it works in all comm modes (Aux, Radio, Intercom, CD). Incoming calls stop music while on the call.

'09 LT
Voice Comm II
BMW (Garmin) Nav IV
HTC Evo 4G cell phone
J & M cord (3.5 mm 3 ring male end to 2.5 mm 2 ring male end) part# JMSR-AC19-BCS $39.99) BTW, John at J&M is a really good guy to work with. I emailed him repeatedly about the cord after I received it (and before my phone arrived). He answered my emails and seemed genuinely trying to help. I have no connection to J&M and I haven't dealt much with them before but I will certainly not hesitate in the future.

I got my new Evo phone yesterday. Ordered the JM cord a couple of weeks ago hoping it would work since it apparently works (and is made for Iphones and Blackberrys and I've tried about everything else. I formerly was able to hear people calling but couldn't talk back. The JM cord fixes that). Plugged the cord into the phone and the comm system "phone" jack and it worked perfectly. I haven't played with it much more because I had to get to work. My next endeavor will be to pair the phone with the Nav IV but I doubt that will work since the Nav IV is designed for bluetooth headsets. We'll see. Anyway, if you're as frustrated as I've been about phone calls, this works. The new phone will also replace the Ipod and play all my recorded music also. Hope this works for you all also.

Iron Horse if you would and have a test light please do us all a favor and map out how the lead you have is wired.

phone end: ------------------------Comm system end

1. tip--------------------------------1. tip
2. 2 --------------------------------2.
3. 3 --------------------------------3.
4. 4 --------------------------------4.

use a test light and power each of these tips from the phone end and see how it comes out on the com end . In this way we can figure out leads for different phones when they come out. Call me if you need guidance. Kieth 918-446-2245

also the leads may differ and only have 2 black rings (3 pole) so pls note that along with the diameter of the shaft 3.5mm std 2.5mm small mini plug.
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Kieth,
I don't have any electrical knowledge or tools. Like I said in the post, the 3.5mm male end is a 3 ring and the 2.5 male end is a 2 ring. My Evo phone is android so maybe that'll work for the other androids? I don't know, not that mechanical.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #6 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They should be one to one for the BMW intercomm. The Autocomm interface has the tip and first ring swapped for Droids and iphone.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Jim: thanks for this post, I have an I-Phone but now I have a direction to go and a contact at J&M thanks to your post.If you have good luck with the nav system and your phone lets us know. Be cool Ron

09 LT
07 500 Vulcan (sweetie's)
94 R1100RS
96 DR650
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Jim: thanks for this post, I have an I-Phone but now I have a direction to go and a contact at J&M thanks to your post.If you have good luck with the nav system and your phone lets us know. Be cool Ron
Ron,
I wrote an answer about the Nav IV on the other thread that got moved also. But here it is again. The Nav IV won't let me answer or dial because it tells me to install a "bluetooth" headset first. I figured as much but was hoping it would since it's hardwired to the bike, but no. It DOES however, tell me that I have an incoming call. Then I just pop open the oddments box and press "answer" on my phone. I have "auto answer" on the phone but I haven't figured out how to turn it on yet. I've had the phone about 36 hrs, now and I'm still learning about it. It does let me "voice dial" and open websites by voice so that'll all be helpful when I'm more functional with the phone itself.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #9 of 19 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:06 am

Quote:
Kieth,
I don't have any electrical knowledge or tools. Like I said in the post, the 3.5mm male end is a 3 ring and the 2.5 male end is a 2 ring. My Evo phone is android so maybe that'll work for the other androids? I don't know, not that mechanical.

The 2.5 male end goes into the bmw comm system correct ?
post #10 of 19 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
They should be one to one for the BMW intercomm. The Autocomm interface has the tip and first ring swapped for Droids and iphone.

since one end is a 4 pole 3.5 and the other end a 3 pole 2.5 it will not be wired pole for pole since is it one short. I was trying to see how it was wired in hopes that a standard autocom stereo 2.5mm lead with a std 4 pole 3.5mm could be used, I have those in 3 different lengths.....and they are inexpensive.............Thanks for the info Kieth

ps I have another user who is having trouble with a droidx functioning properly, i called motorola and all I got was someone from India who did not know his you know what from a hole in the ground..........told me the droid x was just like a I phone and if it had a 3.5mm 4 pole connector they were all the same which we know is not the case. The I phone uses its own wiring scheme which blackberry adapted but the droid seems to be on another path.....which would be a standard stereo 4 pole with mike and ground. Kieth
post #11 of 19 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I have 02 LT and have the same cable for iphone. They can hear me but I can't hear them. I'm pretty sure iphones don't work with Comsystem older models. Wish it did.

John
2002 BMW K1200LT
1985 Honda Goldwing
2011 BMW 325i
2006 BMW 530 xi
2004 BMW 328 cic
1999 BMW 540
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
The 2.5 male end goes into the bmw comm system correct ?
Kieth,
Yes, the 2.5 end goes into the "Phone" jack in the comm system

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Red face Re: Successful cell phone/comm system setup!!

Its too bad there wasnt a way to listen to your music (In Stereo) and answer the phone using just your smart phone!!

Guess some day I will have to upgrade to somekind of blue tooth system.

Thanks

Steve A
99 KLT

Quote:

'09 LT
Voice Comm II
BMW (Garmin) Nav IV
HTC Evo 4G cell phone

post #14 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Quote:

'09 LT
Voice Comm II
BMW (Garmin) Nav IV
HTC Evo 4G cell phone

Well I just bought this cable for my Droid X so I hope it works!

Thanks for the Info

Steve
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 8:12 pm

My autocomm with bluetooth to my Zumo 550, and then the 550 bluetooths to my Iphone 4. Works great!
post #16 of 19 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 6:47 pm

I purchased the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable outlined by Iron Horse in the thread. I have an iPhone 4S and 2008 LT, stock comm's system and hard wired helmet audio. After enabling the comms system phone port via rotary dial, it worked well. I cannot dial via GPS, but I am happy enough with this solution.

Thanks Iron Horse!
post #17 of 19 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordloop View Post
I purchased the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable outlined by Iron Horse in the thread. I have an iPhone 4S and 2008 LT, stock comm's system and hard wired helmet audio. After enabling the comms system phone port via rotary dial, it worked well. I cannot dial via GPS, but I am happy enough with this solution.

Thanks Iron Horse!
I'll resurrect again this helpful thread in case it helps anyone else out.

Like the original poster, I have:
2009 K1200LT
BMW factory Voice II comm system
J&M headset (Elite series, not Performance series like the OP)
iPhone5 (different cell phone than the OP)
Garmin Zumo 665 GPS

I was never able to get my Android cell phone to work with this setup. It was close, but not complete: After pairing the GPS to the Android I could hear callers but they could not hear me. I just switched to an iPhone and after searching this site I found this thread. I have ordered this cable from J&M: part# JMSR-AC19-BCS ($39.99). With the new iPhone and without the J&M cable, I can make and receive calls; the other party hears me and I hear them, directly out of the GPS - that is, not in my helmet.

I hope the J&M cable I ordered does what I think is being described, which is enable the iPhone to be used with the Voice II intercom and send that audio to my helmet. And I'm assuming you plug one end into the Voice II intercom and the other end into the headphone jack on the iPhone, then just put the phone in the oddments box. It would be very, very nice to finally be able to make and receive calls while on the bike when I need to.

When I get the cable in a few days I'll let you know what happens.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 6:30 pm

I received the cable today (J&M part# JMSR-AC19-BCS). One end plugs into the stock BMW Voice II intercom system's phone jack, the other end plugs into the iPhone 5's headphone jack. Tried a couple of tests:

1. Without the Zumo 665, I could make and receive calls from the phone itself, and hear the audio in my helmet and the other party could hear me. This was a major step forward from previous cell phones in this configuration. The call quality on my end was excellent; the other party said the call quality was better than using the phone by itself! (probably because the helmet mic is very close to the mouth) The downside: having to access the phone to answer it, or make a call, but still - by the side of the road or in a parking lot, etc., this is a good compromise.

2. With the Zumo 665 in place and the iPhone paired to it, I could use the Zumo to answer and make a call. Nirvana. I noticed the sound quality was greatly reduced, although still getting to the helmet and still usable. Then I also noticed the new iPhone cable was disconnected from the phone. I plugged it in and the call quality returned. So, when the Voice II comm system was not in use everything worked, but when the phone was connected to the Voice II the whole experience was much better.

I know this is basic stuff to a lot of guys but I'm just happy to have a working phone setup on this bike and comm system. The new J&M cable was worth the $40.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 29th, 2014, 4:38 pm

After talking to John at J&M it turns out they builted the comm systems for the BMW K1200LT up until 2005. If you have a comm system with two knobs, it was built by J&M and the cable will work for sure, but if you have the one with a single knob (Voice II & III ) then it will be a hit or miss if the cable will work. Turns out BMW has tried three or four other manufacturers to build their comm systems. This is why the cable works for some and not others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in