connecting phone to voice com ii - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

connecting phone to voice com ii

Wondered if anyone can confirm whether I can connect a Motorola DROID X phone to voice com II?? After reading all kinds of info on the subject, I just ordered 2 cables (wires) that have 3.5 mm on each end. One has two male ends and the second one has a male and a female end. I also confirmed that my phone has voice activation dialing (app. Installed).

Can anyone confirm that I can make and receive calls without a problem. Dealer says no money back guarantee on parts, but thinks this may work. By the way, I also installed "vlingo" app and seems to work well for hands free calling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Re: connecting phone to voice com ii

I have the J&M cord for my droid. I haven't figured out how to make calls, but recieving calls is no big deal and it sounds great. Just make sure it's on auto answer when plugged in.
post #3 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 9:11 pm

But you need a 2.5mm end to connect to the Voice 2 unit. I used one with a 90degree end to clear the cover. Otherwise my cable hit the inside of the door and I got an intermittent connection. Receives calls fine with the auto answer app. but voice dial will not work. I have a Droid.

Why am I here and what day is it??

post #4 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Parts person at Chicago BMW parts person tells me connection for voice II is a 3.0 mm not a 2.5 mm.
post #5 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 1:24 am Thread Starter

Correction. Partsman at Chicago bmw tells me both wires can connect
2 the voice com s well as phone ( one has to connect to voice and the other to the phone.
post #6 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctg915
Correction. Partsman at Chicago bmw tells me both wires can connect
2 the voice com s well as phone ( one has to connect to voice and the other to the phone.
Mine must have been made on a Monday then.

post #7 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Not sure I understood the last posting. It does turn out voice com input is 2.5 mm, while DROID X input is a 3.5 mm.

I keep reading about continuous problems with either being able to hear or talk while using.g phone. Would be great if someone has a better simple solution.
post #8 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 12:51 pm

There are two inputs on mine. The 2.5 on the left and the 3.5 on the right. I plug in to the input on the right. (R & L when sitting on bike)
post #9 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

I tried connecting the 3.5 mm into com system that shows phone and also to the one in left
out neither one will accept the 3.5 mm. Size appears to be a 2.5 mm. I am not sure I have yet seen a sole solution and source for getting a better quick fix. I have DROID x phone.
post #10 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Guys,
My new Evo 4g was just delivered to my home (I'm still at work though). I'll charge the battery tonight and hopefully be able to try it with the Voice Comm II on my LT. I already have the J&M cord (3.5 to the phone and 2.5 to the comm). I'll let you know how it goes either tomorrow (Thurs) or Friday. Worst case scenario is we'll have to buy a bluetooth headset. A bluetooth headset will also pair with the BMW (Garmin) Nav IV and it'll work but I'm trying not to pay the $$$ for the BT headsets yet.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #11 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Ok, major question, which I have yet to get an answer for. where did u get the 3.5 to 2.5 wire? Does this have a conversion? Please tell me if it works? What year is your bike? Postings are several years old with regard to addressing this problem. As such, some of theses businesses are now out of business.
post #12 of 22 Old Jun 15th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Ok, major question, which I have yet to get an answer for. where did u get the 3.5 to 2.5 wire? Does this have a conversion? Please tell me if it works? What year is your bike? Postings are several years old with regard to addressing this problem. As such, some of theses businesses are now out of business.
Try here for the connector

http://www.meritline.com/90-degree-2...--p-48673.aspx

a whole $2.99 plus shipping.

post #13 of 22 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 9:08 am

Quote:
Ok guys here it is: I can now make and receive phone calls as of last night. Here's my setup
09' LT with voice comm II system, J&M cord with 3.5mm male end to the phone and 2.5 male end to the "phone" input in comm system (JM part# JMSR-AC19-BCS $39.99). Evo 4G cell phone, J&M Performance Headsets.

Works when the system is in Aux, Intercom, CD or Radio mode (cuts out music when incoming call and during conversation).

It's taken me a year to find the right setup. Just make sure your phone has the 3.5 female jack for the phone headset. I'll go make a new thread so that others who, like me have been frustrated for a long time will see it.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #14 of 22 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 9:58 am Thread Starter

I went to link provided by kevin. This is a male to female connection. Either another cord is needed or a male on both en is needed. I found one at ch cables. However, good lick with customer service. Guy hung ip on me when I asked him too many questions and was insisting on simply reading me the description on part as shown in their web page. When I called again, he suggested I find another business to call.
post #15 of 22 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Failed to run spell check on last message. Business I was referring to is "pch cables", located in Hillsboro, Oregon.

There are simply too many businesses throughout the U.S., that one does not have to put up with bad customer service.
post #16 of 22 Old Jun 16th, 2011, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Horse
Ok guys here it is: I can now make and receive phone calls as of last night. Here's my setup
09' LT with voice comm II system, J&M cord with 3.5mm male end to the phone and 2.5 male end to the "phone" input in comm system (JM part# JMSR-AC19-BCS $39.99). Evo 4G cell phone, J&M Performance Headsets.

Works when the system is in Aux, Intercom, CD or Radio mode (cuts out music when incoming call and during conversation).

It's taken me a year to find the right setup. Just make sure your phone has the 3.5 female jack for the phone headset. I'll go make a new thread so that others who, like me have been frustrated for a long time will see it.
How do you make the calls? Do you have to access the phone to initiate the call or can you pass voice commands to the phone via the VOICE II from the helmet headset?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 22 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
How do you make the calls? Do you have to access the phone to initiate the call or can you pass voice commands to the phone via the VOICE II from the helmet headset?
My phone let's me voice dial and that works through the helmet headset just like I'm talking to the wife on the intercom. My phone also let's me open web pages by voice. It seems that since I put the J & M cord in...all functions are working. The sound is a little weaker than the music volume so if I'm on a call I turn it up a bit. To be honest, I've only tried one call out and one call in. Just haven't had time to play much. I go to work so early there's nobody to call that would be happy to hear from me that early...lol. Everything works except I can't accept the call or dial out through the Nav IV gps because that's a bluetooth headset function and my headset is not bluetooth. The Nav IV DOES however, tell me that I have an incoming call. Then I just open the oddments box and press "answer". I have the auto answer but haven't found where to turn it on yet. I've only had the phone for about 36 hours now and I'm still learning it.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #18 of 22 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 7:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My phone let's me voice dial and that works through the helmet headset just like I'm talking to the wife on the intercom. My phone also let's me open web pages by voice. It seems that since I put the J & M cord in...all functions are working. The sound is a little weaker than the music volume so if I'm on a call I turn it up a bit. To be honest, I've only tried one call out and one call in. Just haven't had time to play much. I go to work so early there's nobody to call that would be happy to hear from me that early...lol. Everything works except I can't accept the call or dial out through the Nav IV gps because that's a bluetooth headset function and my headset is not bluetooth. The Nav IV DOES however, tell me that I have an incoming call. Then I just open the oddments box and press "answer". I have the auto answer but haven't found where to turn it on yet. I've only had the phone for about 36 hours now and I'm still learning it.
That sounds good. I just ordered the cable and will see if it will make my Blackberry work with the VOICE II. Nothing else I have tried has worked.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 22 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:30 am

From what I can tell your blackberry will not work with the droid lead, A iphone and a blackberry are wired the same coming out of the phone with a 4 pole lead. The Droid is wired differently (from what I can find out) If your I phone lead does not work call and we can go through a little testing and see how it is wired. If someone has a droid lead and can call me we may be able to find out how to make these things work. (I have access to some 2.5mm stereo (3 pole leads) to a 3.5mm 4 pole , they are wired like this

Autocom part # 2240--6", #2241 15 3/4, #2242 78 3/4

2.5mm stereo 3.5mm 4 pole

1.----------------------------------------------------------1.

2.----------------------------------------------------------2.

------------------------------------------------------------3. not connected to 3 pole

3.----------------------------------------------------------4.

This is outlined from the tip of the connector back toward the shank

If we could get the info on the bmw (J&M) lead then we could figure how it works. Kieth
post #20 of 22 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
From what I can tell your blackberry will not work with the droid lead, A iphone and a blackberry are wired the same coming out of the phone with a 4 pole lead. The Droid is wired differently (from what I can find out) If your I phone lead does not work call and we can go through a little testing and see how it is wired. If someone has a droid lead and can call me we may be able to find out how to make these things work. (I have access to some 2.5mm stereo (3 pole leads) to a 3.5mm 4 pole , they are wired like this

Autocom part # 2240--6", #2241 15 3/4, #2242 78 3/4

2.5mm stereo 3.5mm 4 pole

1.----------------------------------------------------------1.

2.----------------------------------------------------------2.

------------------------------------------------------------3. not connected to 3 pole

3.----------------------------------------------------------4.

This is outlined from the tip of the connector back toward the shank

If we could get the info on the bmw (J&M) lead then we could figure how it works. Kieth
I have a J&M cord on order and it says it is for the I-phone and Blackberry, but I don't have it yet so I can't say how it is wired. I don't know if they just ignore one of the stereo outputs or combine them through a resistor network to get the proper impedance as though they each had a speaker rather than essentially be wired in parallel to a single speaker.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 22 Old Jun 26th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I received my J&M cord, but so far haven't succeeded in making a complete call. I can dial the phone and this will squelch the music and I can hear the phone ringing and can hear the person I called, but they can't hear me at all. Nothing, not even static.

I just read what you wrote again and see that you had the GPS turned on. I did not have my GPS on and wonder if that makes a difference? I can't imagine why it would since I am not using Bluetooth, but maybe

Was there anything special you had to do from a settings perspective to get the phone to transmit your voice from the intercom? I have to look at my phone a little to see if there is some setting on the Blackberry that is needed in order to make it take sound from the 4 pin connector. I did check the cable with my ohmmeter and found that one of the rings on the 4 pin connector has no continuity to the 3 pin end of the cord. I am guessing this just means that the stereo capability has been lost, but I am wondering if somehow the mic isn't being sent to the phone.

Any thoughts?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 22 Old Jun 27th, 2011, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I received my J&M cord, but so far haven't succeeded in making a complete call. I can dial the phone and this will squelch the music and I can hear the phone ringing and can hear the person I called, but they can't hear me at all. Nothing, not even static.

I just read what you wrote again and see that you had the GPS turned on. I did not have my GPS on and wonder if that makes a difference? I can't imagine why it would since I am not using Bluetooth, but maybe

Was there anything special you had to do from a settings perspective to get the phone to transmit your voice from the intercom? I have to look at my phone a little to see if there is some setting on the Blackberry that is needed in order to make it take sound from the 4 pin connector. I did check the cable with my ohmmeter and found that one of the rings on the 4 pin connector has no continuity to the 3 pin end of the cord. I am guessing this just means that the stereo capability has been lost, but I am wondering if somehow the mic isn't being sent to the phone.

Any thoughts?
Voyager,
The GPS doesn't do much of anything for the call just shows me that I have an incoming. I don't really need it on because the music stops and I hear the incoming rings anyway. My GPS is always on anyway because I use the Trip Computer for accuracy on speed. Like you, I don't think the GPS affects the voice transmit since it's not BT. I don't do anything special to make the voice transmit. This cord is the first one that's done that. Every other thing I tried always let me hear the other end but they couldn't hear me. Actually, this is the first cord I've tried that had the 3.5 and the 2.5 on it. I earlier tried plugging into the Aux jack because it was the size I had on the cord at the time but I've never been able to transmit voice until the J&M cord. Sorry it isn't working for you yet. I do nothing to the phone at all. I'm now trying to get the Pandora music app to play the music through the comm II system. No luck so far and I don't understand why really. If I can hear the music coming from the phone then I think I should be able to plug the phone into the comm II and hear that but it's not working that way.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in