Voice Comm and J&M Q's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Voice Comm and J&M Q's

I tried searching and got some idea's but nothing concrete. I have an '09 LT with the Voice Comm II installed by BMW. I purchase two Elite J&M headsets and installed them. On the first 100 miles my wife and I could talk and hear perfect. Stopped and nothing, we could hear music but we couldn't communicate. I checked the helmet connects several times along the way and everything is attached we just can't talk. Thanks for your help with this.

2009 BMW LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:39 am

Re: Voice Comm and J&M Q's

I have the same LT and Comm system. I use the J&M Performance headsets. The only problem(s) we've experienced was the lower cord going bad. When it quits working I have to wiggle it and it works sporadically. I've returned two so far but since it's always been during the two year warranty, they're replaced free. Never had music but no intercom..do they work on just "Intercom" only without being on Radio?

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Readjusting the VII settings may help in all of the "not hearing / transmitting" problems. However, when all else fails, head to the dealer and get them to reinstall another unit. If you have to, PUSH THE ISSUE! Trust me, dealers don't like to mess with the VII. I have had two such VII units in my machine... it took the third replacement unit to fix the issues I was having and now all is "jake". (IOW, it now works as advertised)

Lower cord problems... Preventative fix: Get a new cord and then wrap an extra layer of electrical tape on the ends where it meets the cord. This helps keep the cord from pulling away from the connections inside the housing... Make sure it's a tight wrap... Took buying three of these to figure that one out... Now going on fourth year and no issues with front or rear cords.

just sayin'...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 1:10 pm

I recently switched helmets and went to the Elite J&M after having their previous version for five years. I also had a situation where the microphone/VOX stopped working one day for both helmets. We could hear everything but nothing on the mikes. Is this what you're describing? I'm wondering if something is amiss in these new headsets. J&M believes my problem to be in the snap connector on the helmet and asked me to return my helmets to them for inspection as soon as possible. Sending them this week.

In the meantime, I acquired a second comm unit and switched it out. It seems to be working fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers28
I tried searching and got some idea's but nothing concrete. I have an '09 LT with the Voice Comm II installed by BMW. I purchase two Elite J&M headsets and installed them. On the first 100 miles my wife and I could talk and hear perfect. Stopped and nothing, we could hear music but we couldn't communicate. I checked the helmet connects several times along the way and everything is attached we just can't talk. Thanks for your help with this.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in