Scala G4 Mods - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:15 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Scala G4 Mods

I bought the Scala G4 power set a few weeks ago in preparation for the GTL. First imprecision are pretty good. The one down side was the speakers are not that great. With ear plugs in I had a hard time hearing people on my phone. I would have to turn it all the way up just to make out what they were saying. Then the music would blast after the call ended. I thought that Earbuds would be a better option so after a quick search I found THIS MOD to install a female jack to the Scala so you can plug in ear buds. It was a very easy install & I just removed the speakers all together

Now I need a set of good molded earbuds to here the music, phone , GPS etc & was thinking of EARFUZE . Loren had a good write up HERE about them but what has anyone else used?
I like the idea of a molded ear plug/bud as the ones I have for my IPod hurt my ears after 3 or 4 hours on the bike. Plus the are hard to keep in the ears even tho they have loops that go over the ear. They still slip and move with time.

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Cat Herder

Re: Scala G4 Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I bought the Scala G4 power set a few weeks ago in preparation for the GTL. First imprecision are pretty good. The one down side was the speakers are not that great. With ear plugs in I had a hard time hearing people on my phone. I would have to turn it all the way up just to make out what they were saying. Then the music would blast after the call ended. I thought that Earbuds would be a better option so after a quick search I found THIS MOD to install a female jack to the Scala so you can plug in ear buds. It was a very easy install & I just removed the speakers all together
I did the same thing, except after a while due to the weight put on it the female adapter started having problems, so I soldered the earbuds directly onto the wires from the scala. That worked for me now for the last year, flawlessly.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 1:42 pm

I have, or I should say had, the EarFuze. The right side went out, so I just ordered another set. Yes, I do like them. I have found that they do not block out as much outside noise as the set of custom ear plugs I have, but the sound quality is so much better than ear plugs and speakers.

I saw an article on DIY molded earbuds that I might try this time around using the material from EarFuze.

I was using them with my Whistler (Camos clone) since it has an adapter for ear buds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I did the same thing, except after a while due to the weight put on it the female adapter started having problems, so I soldered the earbuds directly onto the wires from the scala. That worked for me now for the last year, flawlessly.
Andy What Earbuds are you using?

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 2:25 pm

Andy, you are quite right about the female plug having issues. The problem with hardwiring the earbuds to the Scala unit is that if someone else uses the helmet then they can't use he comm system. Unless, of course, the person of the second part is the identical twin to the party of the first part. Or something like that.

BTW, I just soldered the female jack back on the wires the one time it pulled loose.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Andy, you are quite right about the female plug having issues. The problem with hardwiring the earbuds to the Scala unit is that if someone else uses the helmet then they can't use he comm system. Unless, of course, the person of the second part is the identical twin to the party of the first part. Or something like that.

BTW, I just soldered the female jack back on the wires the one time it pulled loose.

Loren
I attached the Female part to the helmet so it WILL NOT PULL away from the Scala

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in