What's The best Intercom System Headset? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

What's The best Intercom System Headset?

I am seriously thinking of getting a driver to passenger headset to use on my LT (for use with the factory intercom system on the bike) as it is extremely difficult to hear my passengers talk with me when riding with a full faced helmet.

I know there are tons of choices, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 8:50 pm
Old Dawg

Re: What's The best Intercom System Headset?

For the factory intercom the only kind you can use is J&M.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 8:18 am

The LT uses a 6 pin din setup. Headsets made by J&M work fine with it. There are a couple of choices with the J&M sets.

1- The economy model is what they call the P series:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....S-BCD279-UN-HO

2- The elite model is what they call the elite series:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....S-ECD629-UN-HO

On each of these you have to select a lower cord when you purchase them. Choose the 6 pin J&M from the pull down menu.

Hope that helps,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 9:04 am

I don't know how much those headsets cost, but I'd really suggest you try the SENA SMH10 Bluetooth system. You can get the pair for about $300 total, no wires, great volume and sound quality, puls you can link it to your phone, MPS player, other headsets, etc. they have a 30-day money-back guarantee so if you don't like it you can return it, blablabla. I know you've already got the BMW intercom on the bike, but if the cabling and headsets are MORE than the SENA pair, it's the way I'd go.

Just a thought.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I don't know how much those headsets cost, but I'd really suggest you try the SENA SMH10 Bluetooth system. You can get the pair for about $300 total, no wires, great volume and sound quality, puls you can link it to your phone, MPS player, other headsets, etc. they have a 30-day money-back guarantee so if you don't like it you can return it, blablabla. I know you've already got the BMW intercom on the bike, but if the cabling and headsets are MORE than the SENA pair, it's the way I'd go.

Just a thought.
+ a bunch on the Sena gear. Try here for great customer service and free shipping. In addition to talking with your passenger using her unit, you can pair up with two other Sena units being used by your riding friends. You can pair up a total of four units. For music, I use the bluetooth feature of the iPhone, with it's free Pandora app . Can also use the free 'turn by turn' GPS app of the iPhone. I love getting rid of the tangle of cords I used to have with my old onboard comm system, plus now, with Sena's voice dial/auto answer feature (which the iPhone doesn't have on it's own), I don't worry about missing family calls. Good luck with however you choose to provide comm with your passenger.
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:33 am

I have done some extensive research into the Sena and other Bluetooth options....only to find if I want what I already have ....I have to stay with wired connections.

If you ride exclusively one up.....Bluetooth will work for you. What I found out was that you can only pair up one Bluetooth headset to the GPS or other audio source. This means that my wife would not be able to hear the MP3 player in the Garmin 660 or the voice commands. All she would have is intercom or possibly she could pair up with some other audio source such as her own MP3 player with a dongle.

After all of this I started to wonder if it wasn't more trouble charging up the headsets and the dongles than it was dealing with that one wire.

If anyone knows of something different I would love to hear about it.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
+ a bunch on the Sena gear. Try here for great customer service and free shipping. In addition to talking with your passenger using her unit, you can pair up with two other Sena units being used by your riding friends. You can pair up a total of four units. For music, I use the bluetooth feature of the iPhone, with it's free Pandora app . Can also use the free 'turn by turn' GPS app of the iPhone. I love getting rid of the tangle of cords I used to have with my old onboard comm system, plus now, with Sena's voice dial/auto answer feature (which the iPhone doesn't have on it's own), I don't worry about missing family calls. Good luck with however you choose to provide comm with your passenger.
I like the Sena a lot. What FREE I Phone app gives you turn by turn directions? I downloaded the Mapquest app. But its only free for a limited time.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #8 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
I like the Sena a lot. What FREE I Phone app gives you turn by turn directions? I downloaded the Mapquest app. But its only free for a limited time.
Skobbler - and from your home country, I believe.
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:49 am

Quote:
I have done some extensive research into the Sena and other Bluetooth options....only to find if I want what I already have ....I have to stay with wired connections.
Same here. I really want to like a BT option, and the Sena is so close, but...

There is a delay before you can talk on the intercom, about two seconds. Then there is a 20 second (yes, TWENTY second) delay before it switches back. So much for just having a casual conversation like I do now with the Autocom.

They give you the battery life rating if you don't use any options like streaming music and GPS. It's much lower if you do. Who wants to charge a damn helmet? And if you're on a long ride...

Integrating something like a detector requires another box that is compatible with the BT system you're using. Which may or may not exist.

If you want to integrate GPS and phone and music, you may have a hell of a time pairing them all if you don't own exactly the right combination of devices.

Quote:
What FREE I Phone app gives you turn by turn directions?
I found that MotionX Drive is phenomenal, and while not free, it was dirt cheap.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Skobbler - and from your home country, I believe.
I just downloaded it, seems nice. How accurate is it? I still cant believe that a German company is giving something away...thats just not in our nature. Whats the catch?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for all the insight to the headsets. So much more to consider. Since I use my ipod a lot, it might be prudent to use the wired set. I will fighure this out later in the riding season. Again, thanks!

Glenn
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 1:30 am

Thumbs up Re: What's The best Intercom System Headset?

I just purchased the J&M Elite Headset and put it in my Shoei full faced helmet. I have the Voice II Command system (2006). I tell you...the best sound quality you could ask for. I'm glad I did it and I believe "wired" is better than bluetooth. J&M has all the things you would need to make it work.
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Garage

I'm satisfied.

I should not really be in this thread but I enjoy reading others views. I got my LT a year now so all the bells and whistles were already a part of the package. From the hydraulic center stand to the entertainment console to the mount for the Navi IV. My first ride off the showroom floor I was happy. One feature (included by BMW for a first time buyer) the auto/intercom system started a chain of events.

Let me say I wish I had known of this site before I went any further. New gear was always in the plan but I had discussed with my wife her riding "MO" and she said anywhere but not on long trips. So all she needed was a new helmet black and open face. For myself it was fullface flip. We could both ride and take full advantage of the entertainment the bike came with. So I took the next step, headset (J&M) to monitor the Nav/CD/radio and yes a boom mic with no one to talk to. I followed that with a change of cell phones to get bluetooth feature . . . so you see where this is going the domino effect in reverse.

I fully agree with RON in post #6 I am sticking with the cords and current set up which works fine rather than changing or duplicating the features I already paid $$$$ LT.
I have '85 GW and the features on that which my wife had grown fond of have to stay on that bike and those on my LT (hydro/stand, Nav, ABS, ht.grips and seat, electro/shield and on and on . . . ) will stay as the LT.

If your bike is new get J&M and helmet of your choice. I hear my wife fine at 70-80 mph and if we need a conversation we pull over and grab a bite.
ride safe
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 8:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I'll chime in with my $.02 worth.
When I bought my 2000 LT 6 years ago it had the BCII so I bought J & M headsets & they worked GREAT till the intercom went out. About a grand to replace it from BMW so I went with an Autocom . It work OK but the speakers really sucked so I installed better ones. It was still working OK when I removed it to get the Scala G4 (to work with the factory Bluetooth on the new GTL). The Scala works great , Cell phone works with it , Built in FM works great & I can plug my IPod into it. The only down side was the speakers also suck. I installed a female jack to plug earbuds into the Scala & the sound quality is outstanding even with Cheap earbuds. I will buy some good ones in the next few days & I should be good to go.

Bottom line is there is not just one comm setup that will please everyone. If my BCII would not have gone out & If I was not getting the GTL I would have never tried the Autocom or the Scala. Both of which are good systems for what they do. As for riding with other people goes, most everyone I ride with have their cell phones hooked up to the comm system or GPS or have some way to answer & make calls on the road. This is what I have done for the last 5 years with all the different systems I have had plus you are not limited by distance as you are with CB's or radios. I have called friend from the middle of no where just cause I was bored.

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 15 Old May 29th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Can you plug in an IPod to the facory comm system?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in