Autocom wiring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2011, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Autocom wiring

Hey guys, tore into the wiring on my bike, again, and found this. Randi (po) had it set up with the Kenwood bike to bike radio, which I never wanted to use. Seems to me that I should be able to used this wiring system to tap into my Android phone. I want to be able to use the existing boom mic (from the autocom system) to talk into the phone too.
Anybody have a wiring schematic available for this system, know were I can find one, or where I need to tap in to accomplish all this? Here's some pics of what I'm dealing with.
The Android has a four connection pin into it, presumably for stereo music player.

Thanks guys,
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	30758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	30759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.JPG
Views:	1051
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	30760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	591.8 KB
ID:	30761  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Re: Autocom wiring

I have something that might work. The file size is 2.4meg, which is over the 1.9meg file size limit. Please pm me with your email address.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Maybe this is the better question to ask. Does anyone know if I have the correct assignment for the pins in this photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG
Views:	1403
Size:	600.2 KB
ID:	30768  

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 6:38 pm

I think that your pin out for kenwood connector is not correct.
Most likely connections are this way:

3.5mm tip = not used( or unknown)
3.5mm band = Microphone signal
3.5mm base = PPT (connect to GND to transmit)

2.5mm tip = Speaker out
2.5mm base = GND

This work at least for some Kenwood radios.

Easier to connect your phone to autocom is to make or buy cable for Autocoms 3.5 mm phone socket.
It is either 3 pole or 4 pole 3.5 mm socket depending of age of your system.
Autocom side pinout is tip=mic, ring=speaker, (second ring with newer systems is +9V out), base = gnd. You don't need PTT with phone connection.
I don't know what kind of Android phone you have but most likely it will use same pin out than Iphone,
tip= left speaker,
ring= right speaker
ring= gnd
base=mic

Esko
2000 K1200LTC
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Forget the radio stuff and build this Link for Cable .
I built one and it did not work correctly until I pulled the autocomm end out of port 1 which was for my old standard phone and plugged it into port 2 which is for MP3/Stereo phones. Now I can receive and make calls under way.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Esco, I believe that you're correct: the 2.5 mm is the speaker plug, and the 3.5 mm handles the mic.
Rather than butcher up the existing wiring harness, I think my best bet would be to build my own cable using a 2.5 mm female, and a 3.5 mm female, with the wires terminating in a 4 "pin" male adapted to the needs of my phone. I should be able to check the pin assignment by dissecting one of the useless hands free sets I got with the phone.

At least that way I can still use the Kenwood, should I ever decide I need or want it.

The only other concern is the stereo aspect. Although it's not needed for this application, I'll just have to test the radio to see if I hear it though both speakers. If that's the case, then I don't need to worry about sending a left and right signal. Even if I had to send left and right, a jumper should cover it.

Thanks for the help.

Frank
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Hey guys, tore into the wiring on my bike, again, and found this. Randi (po) had it set up with the Kenwood bike to bike radio, which I never wanted to use. Seems to me that I should be able to used this wiring system to tap into my Android phone. I want to be able to use the existing boom mic (from the autocom system) to talk into the phone too.
Anybody have a wiring schematic available for this system, know were I can find one, or where I need to tap in to accomplish all this? Here's some pics of what I'm dealing with.
The Android has a four connection pin into it, presumably for stereo music player.

Thanks guys,
Frank

Why don't you just use the phone cord that was provided with the unit or the correct autocom cord ??

If you have a older system they do not have enough inputs to handle mike, ground, L, R channel. you can either talk on the Android as a phone or listen to it for music just not both. (if you do it will be mono) If you have a Logic or a Automatic it can work with the proper cord the frs inputs were never designed to hande a cell phone with stereo. Kieth

which system do you have.........??

Last edited by katnapinn; Apr 9th, 2011 at 11:49 am.
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to EskoV, I have it all sorted out. I ended up making my own cable from the phone to Aux2, took it out this evening and made some crystal clear calls. I-pod works too, into Aux1. Now all I need to do if find someone with a compatible radio and see if I can talk to them.
I think the biggest issue was identifying the correct pins to connect from the phone to the autocom port. I disassembled a hands free adapter (comes with the phone) and figured out which goes where. Then, between Esko and Bryan at AutoCom USA in New York, identified which pins to assign going in.
I'm embarrassed to say how easy it all was, but when you have a good guide, it really was easy. Thank you Esko.

Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in