Bluetooth GPS confusion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Bluetooth GPS confusion

Having just purchased a Sena SMH10 dual pac, I was excited about the ability to receive phone calls and get GPS instructions and play MP3's from my Garmin Nuvi 680. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get the Nuvi to mate with the Sena headset. the Nuvi would "see" the Sena and list it by name, but listed it like a phone and wanted me to input the 4 digit code like I did with my phone. A tech at Sena told me that the Nuvi, being an automotive unit, does not broadcast a Bluetooth signal, it only receives Bluetooth.

If this is true then I guess that I am in the market for a new GPS that will broadcast a Bluetooth signal that will work with the Sena. I know that most of the Garmin Zumo units will work but want to stay away from the $600 to $900 price tag. Up until now the Nuvi 680, although not waterproof or rated for motorcycle use, has been absolutely flawless on my bike.

So I guess my question is twofold: Has anybody gotten the Nuvi to work with a headset, and if not, how do I tell if a particular unit will work. A definitive guide of which GPS units are compatible would be of great use. Thanks for any input you can offer.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Re: Bluetooth GPS confusion

I have the SENA units & tested it with a friends 765T Nuvi & it worked perfect, all function for the audio worked & would receive from about 40ft from Sena unit.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
I have the SENA units & tested it with a friends 765T Nuvi & it worked perfect, all function for the audio worked & would receive from about 40ft from Sena unit.

Strange. The Garmin 765T seems very similar to my 680. Can you give me the particulars on how you paired it? I turned the Sena to pairing mode (blue and red flashing leds) then put the Garmin in discovery mode. It found and listed the Sena SMH10 but when I go to add it to the Garmin, it wants me to enter the 4 digit phone code (like I would do when I pair my phone to the Garmin or the Sena, entering 1,2,3,4 on the phone keyboard.) But there is no way to enter a code.

Does any of this make sense? Grrr...I like my 680 and really don't want to spend any more mullah if I can avoid it.

01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I think your problem is that the 680 only has Bluetooth & that the 765T has 'Bluetooth® wireless technology: yes (with A2DP technology) ' the key being the A2DP that is required to transmit stereo audio.

I did the same as you 'press & hold large dial to start pairing' then get 765T to look for devices, selected Sena & linked.

I think the 680 from it's description only supports a phone, which is indicated by requesting a security code.
Did/have you paired the 680 with a phone?

Sorry to bear the bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
Strange. The Garmin 765T seems very similar to my 680. Can you give me the particulars on how you paired it? I turned the Sena to pairing mode (blue and red flashing leds) then put the Garmin in discovery mode. It found and listed the Sena SMH10 but when I go to add it to the Garmin, it wants me to enter the 4 digit phone code (like I would do when I pair my phone to the Garmin or the Sena, entering 1,2,3,4 on the phone keyboard.) But there is no way to enter a code.

Does any of this make sense? Grrr...I like my 680 and really don't want to spend any more mullah if I can avoid it.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I do not know about the 780 gps but my zumo allows one to pair to a headset and then to a phone, both functions are seperate.........Kieth
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
Having just purchased a Sena SMH10 dual pac, I was excited about the ability to receive phone calls and get GPS instructions and play MP3's from my Garmin Nuvi 680. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get the Nuvi to mate with the Sena headset. the Nuvi would "see" the Sena and list it by name, but listed it like a phone and wanted me to input the 4 digit code like I did with my phone. A tech at Sena told me that the Nuvi, being an automotive unit, does not broadcast a Bluetooth signal, it only receives Bluetooth.

If this is true then I guess that I am in the market for a new GPS that will broadcast a Bluetooth signal that will work with the Sena. I know that most of the Garmin Zumo units will work but want to stay away from the $600 to $900 price tag. Up until now the Nuvi 680, although not waterproof or rated for motorcycle use, has been absolutely flawless on my bike.

So I guess my question is twofold: Has anybody gotten the Nuvi to work with a headset, and if not, how do I tell if a particular unit will work. A definitive guide of which GPS units are compatible would be of great use. Thanks for any input you can offer.
I've been debating this very same issue, and have been searching through past threads. Have you considered the Zumo 220? It's in the $420 dollar range on ebay (still a bit pricey). I use a Nolan 103 Ncom B.T setup and have my Blackberry Storm paired to it and that gives me stereo Music and intercom with passenger, so I would just like a decent no frills B.T. GPS. I already have a cheapy car GPS that I get by with, but still yearn for spoken directions in my ear other than my Mrs

2003 Silver K1200LT

Last edited by flyinguy68; Mar 9th, 2011 at 4:30 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Don't know if this will work, cuz I haven't tried it, butt ....

there is a free iPhone app named 'Skobbler' that gives turn by turn directions (thanks Doug Turner). Includes maps and other GPS type info, plus screen data that can be used if you have a dash/cockpit-mount cradle. If you have an iPhone, and it's paired with a Sena SMH10, you may be able to utilize the Skobbler app and have voice directions inputted to your helmet speakers. Google 'skobbler', or do a search for it on your iPhone's app program, or try this link - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id370144231?mt=8 . I use Pandora radio from the iPhone, so would think that the Skobbler would work. Just not sure which one, if either, would play priority. I'm gonna try it out in next coupla days and see whether it's joy or no joy.
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone, here's what I've found out so far...

Dick: Good idea but I have an IPad with just Wi-Fi so no go on the GPS. Knew I shoulda sprung for the 3G

Flyinguy68: The Zumo 220 doesn't have MP3 capabilities which is a must if I'm springing for a new GPS. I have found one that fits the bill tho, for about $150. Read below for details if interested.

Bighopper: You sir, have hit the nail on the head! A call to Garmin tech support confirmed that the Nuvi 680 only supports phones. I need a GPS that supports Bluetooth with A2DP technology (which is an outputted stereo signal) The techie suggested the Nuvi 765, 775 or 785 models will all do what I want at a fraction of the cost. I have seen several on Ebay in the $200 range.

I am watching a few auctions on these and in the meantime will try and google other GPS units with A2DP. Although I like the Garmin and will probable stick with it because I am used to the interface.

Thank you all for your input. This has been quite a learning experience but it has been well worth it. As an aside, the Sena SMH 10 Bluetooth headset is truly the cat's ass! Easy to set up and both phone and helmet to helmet communication is superbly clear and loud. I couldn't be happier with it. I would also like to sing the praises of both Sena and Garmin's live phone tech support. I was on the phone with a live person in under a minute with both companies and they were both friendly, caring, intelligent and best of all, non-condescending. ("Unplug the power cord from the wall and wait 30 seconds") Standard cable company response. LoL

01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:06 am Thread Starter

UPDATE: More woes, bought a Nuvi 785t which will output to my Sena. That works great. Music and directions from the GPS work great. Problem I'm now having is I have paired the phone to the Nuvi and the Nuvi to the Sena. I cannot get the phone working thru the headset. Audio output works (they can hear me) but I don't hear the other person talking.

Frustrating! I have reset back to the factory defaults several times and repaired but to no avail. Phone is a Kyocera S2300. I can pair the phone directly to the Sena headset and it works great but I have no functionality thru the GPS that way (Caller ID, phonebook etc.)

Any ideas out there?

01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in