Com systems suck - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Com systems suck

I'm learning, the hard way, that building a personal preference com system just sucks. Seems the options are dependant on several things:
what you started with (for example, what came on the bike you bought);
what it is that you want;
and how much you want to spend.

So my point: is there an existing forum, or survey, that lists what's been done, what works, and what the options might be? Or could we start something like that so that others can learn from what's been done or tried?

Or would anybody even be interested in something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:25 am

Re: Com systems suck

There are a number of discussions here and elsewhere on this. The compromises are all dependent on your own priorities. A lot of people are happy with BT wireless systems. I went wired because I don't want to have to charge a helmet, or lose power on a long ride. If you use a smartphone you may want different options from more basic phones, particularly if the phone is your MP3 player. Do you want to talk on the phone? Another consideration. And if so, what about answering it? Some systems auto-answer every call, which I find ridiculous and unusable. But without that, you need a way to signal it to answer. Do you want to mount it where it is visible? Will you need to power/charge it or your MP3 player? Etc.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:56 am

Carlos is pretty much right... And you are also right...

You want to talk on a cell? Drive a car... and don't get caught by the local constabulary...

A motorcycle is to be enjoyed and talking to a work mate, family member, sales scum or employee while carving the twisties or jamming thru traffic ain't it!

There are pluses and minuses to both wired and unwired. I prefer wired. I prefer my $4.99 MP3 players to satellite or iPod (and the troubles those damn things bring). Having a "bitchin' betty" in my ear telling me every turn I have to make is not my idea of fun... So "bitchin' betty" stays in the car. I go analog when I get a mite confused as to where I want to go.

So my COMM (VII on an '06 LT) built for me is AM/FM - MP3 - Kenwood 3302U... and that takes me and the missus anywhere we want to go in comfort and style. It works... it works well... and I don't have half the problems others do by trying to put their laptop, microwave oven, police scanner, toaster and 24 disc CD player thru a system that's not really designed for it.

Sometimes simple just works...

just sayin'...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:04 am

First thing to do is sit down and write what the most important features are that you want in order of priority.
1. intercom
2. music
3. radar detector
4. bike to bike etc then you need to see if the sytem has that cababilaty.

I spent $ 7500.00 in 1999 for audio equipment for my bikes none of it worked

the only difference between then and now is you have more choices of systems that do not work.

I went with Autocom in 2000 and never looked back, it is guaranted to work or your money back.............others do not make that claim -----especially BMW------the $2500.00 system on my 99 LT never worked correctly and only does so now because I hooked a autocom up the system.......Kieth call for other friendly advise......918-446-2245

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I'm learning, the hard way, that building a personal preference com system just sucks. Seems the options are dependant on several things:
what you started with (for example, what came on the bike you bought);
what it is that you want;
and how much you want to spend.

So my point: is there an existing forum, or survey, that lists what's been done, what works, and what the options might be? Or could we start something like that so that others can learn from what's been done or tried?

Or would anybody even be interested in something like that?
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

All your responses, I believe, make my point. A guy could go nuts trying to search out all the variables. If we could figure out a way to make it easier for those trying to set up a system.
Re: my phone - no!!! I dont' want to talk on it. The only reason for wanting it at all is one or two rides a year - our guy rides. We've got one guy that invariably will take off like a bat out of hell, the wrong way. So, for those very few times, I want to be able to leave him a message and tell him we'll meet him down the right road. Don't want to talk to anyone else, or have two way radio. Sounds silly, but I figured out how to do that, wired, for very little cost. I could go on, but I just thought it was do damned hard to find anything worth while. Just me thinking out loud.

Frank

edit: I should qualify that my son-in-law runs most of his business off a phone, and he's one of the "guys". Since he'll have his, I thought I'd run mine to make it easier.

Last edited by fpmlt; Feb 28th, 2011 at 12:33 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 12:55 pm

First of all, let me state that I am currently EXTREMELY disappointed with the technology that is available today ... and that has been available for the past few years. By now, I really expected to be able to have EVERYTHING bluetooth, seamless, integrated, and relatively inexpensive. We're getting closer, but we're not there yet. Not as far as I can tell.

Having said that ... let me explain what I had on my '02 LT, which got transferred to my '06 GT. The core of the system was an Intaride RP-1, a wired intercom system with a few inputs. First, I replaced the headset speakers so the sound quality was excellent! Then I proceeded to wire EVERYTHING into that little unit. When I was done, I had 1) A full-duplex intercom. 2) iPod integration into BOTH helmets. 3) The LT's stereo into both helmets. 4) Cell phone wired into both helmets. 5) GPS wired into the intercom (and with bluetooth, I was able to make/receive calls on the GPS's screen). 6) An ICOM FRS/GMRS radio with a handy PTT button. 7) My Valentine One radar detector integrated.

Everything worked FLAWLESSLY! And everything was charged on the bike with NO batteries.

I pulled that complete system from my GT when I sold it. I bought my new Concours14 last June. I was "HOPING" to not have to reinstalled the wired-monstrosity. I wanted to go complete bluetooth. But I have yet to find a system that I am confident in. Not enough to spend hundreds, let alone over a thousand dollars for it just to let me down. And I don't want to give up any functions I had with the wired intercom system.

For now, I just . . . keep . . . waiting . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

- Joe
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:12 am

Quote:
A motorcycle is to be enjoyed and talking to a work mate, family member, sales scum or employee while carving the twisties or jamming thru traffic ain't it!
If I can't take the occasional call, I can't ride all day for work. Hard to enjoy a motorcycle when you aren't on it. And the convenience of making a call to say "I'm running late" without getting off the bike is pretty huge. The rest of your rant is quite amusing, but nonsensical. I don't have issues with my system at all. It works perfectly every time I get on the bike. You ride your ride, and I'll ride mine.

Quote:
A guy could go nuts trying to search out all the variables.
So explain what you want and your priorities. Make a list of the goodies you already own and want to connect (phone, MP3, etc).

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:59 am Thread Starter

"So explain what you want and your priorities. Make a list of the goodies you already own and want to connect (phone, MP3, etc)."

Exactly my point, but if I were to state it here, then someone else like me, goes searching, without a specific idea in mind, like a survey section or something similar, he'll likely never find it.

What I propose, is a place where I would post something like:
I bought a 2001 that came with the Autocom and a Kenwood handheld wired into it. I didn't want the Kenwood (bike to bike), so took it and everything associated with it off the bike. Radio works in the helmet fine, and I can plug an I-pod into the aux. Now I want a clean input for the cell phone (for occasional use only), that works within the system.
I'm going to try the FM antenna interupt system for the I-pod, and plug the cell phone into the Autocom's aux port and run the mic through the existing boom mic. Should end up costing me $50 to do it all.

That's my story, and you can't prove any different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in