Mounting Autocom plugs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Mounting Autocom plugs

Has anyone come up with a good idea for mounting this Autocom plug semi-permanently into a spot on, say, the dash or through the trunk lid? I wanted to mount it so that I could just plug in and unplug from some place "solid".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	951.2 KB
ID:	30490  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 4:20 pm

Re: Mounting Autocom plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Has anyone come up with a good idea for mounting this Autocom plug semi-permanently into a spot on, say, the dash or through the trunk lid? I wanted to mount it so that I could just plug in and unplug from some place "solid".
When i had autocom, i mounted it left of the glovebox with a panel mount plug.
I had a pic in here somewhere. I will send it to you when i find it.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 5:32 pm

I thought about doing that at one time, but settled on just laying the front one around the seat hinge. It's not in the way, it's simple and it works.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I thought about doing that at one time, but settled on just laying the front one around the seat hinge. It's not in the way, it's simple and it works.
That's pretty much how I'm doing it now, but I have the bike torn apart for other misc. projects, and just thought it would be kind'a cool to clean it all up. I think I'm settling on a communications tank bag. It's actually just a fanny pack that I'm modifying to strap around the oddements box lid, with power and cell phone/I-pod leads poking through some gromets I've mounted in the bottom end. I'd like to put one autocom lead there, and then permenently mount one through the trunk for the wife. She's always letting hers slip down the back side of my seat, and it hurts! Yes, I'm a big wuss.
I'm hoping Zeke has a good idea, otherwise I just might run her line up the back side of her seat.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 8:49 pm

Here is where mine was mounted. I used two 3' extension leads. Over the years I think that I had to replace the one 3' lead that I plugged my helmet cord into because of static, or just wear and tear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	30491  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 9:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Autocomm has a molded rubber casing that will hold the end. I have one velcroed to the small panel under the oddiments box. I can plug in one handed. The adhesive that comes on it is crap. You need to remove it and use a good piece of velcro. They were about $6-9 when I got them at the Johnson City MOA rally

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Mike, I like the way you ran yours. Might follow suit if I can't come up with anything else. Here's the mini-tank/communication bag my wife and I put together. It's just a modified fanny pack, with the wings and waist band cut off, and elastic sewed to the bottom, and wraps the glove (oddments?) box lid. Neoprene on the bottom, and it doesn't move. I used a soldering iron to burn holes in the bottom, and inserted rubber grommets to run the wires through. I think it's gonna work out just fine for what I'm wanting. Enough room for wallet, camera, I-pod and phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0504.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	30492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	618.9 KB
ID:	30493  
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 24th, 2011, 4:19 am

Thanks Frank. That connector looks much larger than it is as it was with the older 5-pin plug (typical pc keyboard extension lead). I had to connect a female to female coupling on the end of the male lead. You will not have that problem with the current 7-pin connectors. As I said earlier, I installed two 3' extension leads from the head unit. I had to replace the one 3' extension lead twice in 8 years as from the constant plugging and unplugging the helmet lead did something to the connector causing loud static noises.
Good luck!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 9 Old Feb 24th, 2011, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Here is where mine was mounted. I used two 3' extension leads. Over the years I think that I had to replace the one 3' lead that I plugged my helmet cord into because of static, or just wear and tear.
The way that my plug lays around the seat post, pointing down, tends to keep rain and moisture from getting inside, I think! I don't always keep my helmet plugged in and even the semi-annual wash might subject the plug to water draining into the plug assembly.

I wish that Auto-Comm had a better system, but I've lived with it for about 8 years and still use the same cords.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in