Nolan NCOM 103 and Baehr - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2011, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Nolan NCOM 103 and Baehr

Looking at the Nolan NCOM 103 helmet and I want to connect it to my Baehr K1200LT Comm system with the 5 pin (DIN?) connector. I've been to the Nolan and J&M websites among others. I've searched here and the threads I've read end up with contacting Raffy or Cyclegadgets followed by an "all solved" post. Neither of those options exist anymore so I'm hoping someone can help. Also, local shops seem to know less than I do about this, including the BMW dealers.

I'm not interested in Bluetooth so I know I need the basic comm kit. I don't know which cords to order after that. I assume the same setup will work for the pillon. Hopefully someone has part numbers and sources.

I've got the Fimez FM Baehr Silencer II. It's works great but it's aging and I can't get parts like screens for it anymore.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:26 am

Re: Nolan NCOM 103 and Baehr

Last time I contacted J&M they no longer sold the lower cables for the Baehr, but had some in stock or a source and they gave me a contact but that was some time ago. Check with their coustomer service, they may know someone that may still have the cables. Wait if its the NCOM and not the J&M headsets in the Nolan 103 its even worse. I think the days are numberd for my trusty Baehr.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 8th, 2011, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

I can find cables for the BMW K1200LT com system to the NCOM. Does anyone know if the BMW Com system has the same 5 pin DIN connector that the Baehr has? Or if it is wired the same? The picture on the website doesn't reveal much but it looks close.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 8th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Do you already have the Nolan 103?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Do you already have the Nolan 103?
Yes.

Dan

;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 5:12 pm

When i bought my N103 while out at the BMW Int. shindig in Oregon, I purchased a cord to connect it to the BMW Audio plug under the left handlebar.

Being determined to spend as much money as possible, I trashed it and had to order another one from the Nolan Dealer about 3 months later. The cord that Nolan made up for the K1200 is a six pin connector on the BMW side - I am pretty sure all BMW comm. system cables are six pins. The N103 side is their standard 4 connector audio plug.

I do like the N103 Bluetooth. I ride mostly two-up, and wireless cuts out a lot of BS for my wife. The sound quality is great. Just about everything works with it, including two-way phone calls. The only thing that does not work is the Nav III bluetooth. I can connect, and the driver gets the audio, but the passenger only gets the alert tone, which in busy sections or when the NAV III gets lost, is just one annoying beep after another.

The NAV III works fine over the BMW Comm. system, as does FM. We usually plug the iPod into the N103 helmet on trips when we don't need the Comm. signal, as the audio is much better through the Nolan helmet than when passed through the BMW Comm. System AUX plug. You do need to have the Nolan Audio cable, because you need that four conductor plug for the helmet side.

I know this does not exactly answer your question about the Baehr connection. But you might want to contact Nolan or Google their site, etc. They have other cables, including ones for Gold Wings. One of them might work with the Baehr system.

I like the N103 internal sun shade - drop down green tinted lenses. Much cooler in the summer with the visor up. I like the wirelessness, I like the day long battery charge. The audio quality is good. The helmet itself is just plain noisy, and I suspect if I did not have the LT's windshield to cut down on the airflow, I would be in the Shuberth market.

Good luck on your search for a cable.

BTW, the original BMW cable was a victim of the Wireless freedom. Getting on and getting off the bike is much faster, even with the iPod in my jacket pocket. But I once forgot to disconnect the Nolan - BMW cable and walked away from the bike. By the time the cable reminded me I was an idiot, the wires and the plug had parted company somewhere inside the rubber coating. Sometimes you do have to pay for education. Nolan does not have J&M's dedication to quality.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 11:22 am

Super Commuter,

You might try WhiteHorse Gear. I just saw a note on their site that they have cables to connect the N103 to many bke systems. It requires buying helmet control unit but it appears your choices are limited. It would be worth a phone call, they have always been very helpful when I contacted them.

Realmccoy
07 LT storm gray
09 KLR red/black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in