SENA SMH10 vs. Scala G4 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

SENA SMH10 vs. Scala G4

I've narrowed it down to two types of Bluetooth devices. Sena or Scala G4
I have a new Scorpion EXO 900 Modular Helmet.
With all the Experience in this Forum, which Device would you choose?
For: iPhone/iPod
GPS
Rider/Pillion Communication

Thanks, Don

Happy Riding!

PS: Atlanta expecting 4-6" of snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: SENA SMH10 vs. Scala G4

Don,

Have you read this from Webbikeworld? http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Don,

Have you read this from Webbikeworld? http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm
Yep, that made the choice for me. I'm very happy with the SENA SMH 10.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
2008 BMW R1200RT (Titan Silver)

post #4 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Hey John, I had not read this review. I did read though a review from WebBikeWord.... I must have missed this one.
Thanks the the Link!

Don
Atlanta, Ga
post #5 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcott360
+1 here too - on the SENA model bluetooth unit. Easy install; easy pairing to my iPhone; easy to use on the road.

As someone already mentioned, RevZilla.com has/had a good price on their units. The one thang I really like about RevZilla is their customer service mantra as the intermediary for their customers with their suppliers/manufacturers.
post #6 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
+1 here too - on the SENA model bluetooth unit. Easy install; easy pairing to my iPhone; easy to use on the road.

As someone already mentioned, RevZilla.com has/had a good price on their units. The one thang I really like about RevZilla is their customer service mantra as the intermediary for their customers with their suppliers/manufacturers.
In addition RevZilla will price match. If you find a better price online just send them an email and they will match it.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #7 of 27 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcott360

post #8 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2011, 5:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reply's on the Sena and Scala.
Has anyone installed the Sena to a new Scorpion EXO900 Modular. I emailed both Scorpion and Sena and and both said they had no experience with that Helmet. Scorpion suggested the G4..

Thanks,
Don
Suwanee, Ga
post #9 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2011, 10:30 pm

I too went with the Sena unit. 1 issue I had that perplexed me all day was the fact that I could mate my phone to my Sena or/and to my Garmin Nuvi 680 but could not get the Garmin Nuvi to mate to the Sena. Finally talked to a tech rep at Sena who informed me that the Garmin Nuvi does not output a bluetooth signal like the Zumo units do. This was a bummer as I play MP3 music thru a memory card slot in the Garmin and was really looking forward to getting that music into my helmet!

Then I made a discovery that will be a fair enough compromise. I found that my Ipad has bluetooth and the Sena recognizes it. And that both units implement AVCTP so I can shuffle forward and backward thru my playlist. So an acceptable solution till I decide I wanna fork out the big bucks for a Zumo.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #10 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:38 am

Go with the Sena...Less expensive, better quality, you get ALL the goodies with the 2-pk kit, better sound and volume, etc. etc. etc.

I've installed the Sena in a Scorpion EXO 400, same internals as the 900 modular (speaker cutouts, etc).

I'd recommend that you try it with the standard boom-mic setup first before buying the optional wired mic that is for use with modular helmets--I noticed some wind noise with that second setup that doesn't exist with the standard set-up at all, so if you don't mind re-adjusting the boom mic after lowering your face shield, you'll be happier (and won't have to spend the extra $30)--just triple-check positioning before installing everything for fit and positioning of the mic so that it's right in front of your mouth with the face shield down on your helmet.

email me if you have questions before buying--petevandyke at gmail dot com happy to help if I can

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #11 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
I too went with the Sena unit. 1 issue I had that perplexed me all day was the fact that I could mate my phone to my Sena or/and to my Garmin Nuvi 680 but could not get the Garmin Nuvi to mate to the Sena. Finally talked to a tech rep at Sena who informed me that the Garmin Nuvi does not output a bluetooth signal like the Zumo units do. This was a bummer as I play MP3 music thru a memory card slot in the Garmin and was really looking forward to getting that music into my helmet!

Then I made a discovery that will be a fair enough compromise. I found that my Ipad has bluetooth and the Sena recognizes it. And that both units implement AVCTP so I can shuffle forward and backward thru my playlist. So an acceptable solution till I decide I wanna fork out the big bucks for a Zumo.

Does your Nuvi have an audio out (3.5 mm for an audio cable)?

If it does, another option would be to hard-wire audio cable from the nuvi to your Sena...that way you wouldn't have to have the iPad (or did you mean iPhone?) along for the ride in case it gets stolen or damaged in the ride. A coiled 3.5 mm male to male audio cord long enough would be about $10 at Radio Shack.

Not quite as convenient as complete wireless, but it would work nonetheless, and would automatically disconnect if you got an incoming phone call.

post #12 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Does your Nuvi have an audio out (3.5 mm for an audio cable)?

If it does, another option would be to hard-wire audio cable from the nuvi to your Sena...that way you wouldn't have to have the iPad (or did you mean iPhone?) along for the ride in case it gets stolen or damaged in the ride. A coiled 3.5 mm male to male audio cord long enough would be about $10 at Radio Shack.

Not quite as convenient as complete wireless, but it would work nonetheless, and would automatically disconnect if you got an incoming phone call.

I had thought about that but the satnav is under the windshield on a co-pilot shelf and it would be quite a long dangling cable run, but it's something to think about. I'm assuming that the IPad (yes it is an IPad) would disconnect for phone or intercom usage. Perhaps I could run the audio cord under the tupperware back to either the tankbag or rear trunk with a jack. Then I could plug in there with less cord slop.

01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
post #13 of 27 Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:40 pm

I'm looking to buy the Sena as well but have a few questions. If I am paired with my IPhone via bluetooth, listening to music via the IPhone, and my wife, who is on another bike with another Sena unit wants to communicate via the intercom system, does the music I am listening to pause, and the helmet to helmet communication get priority? Is the communication system full duplex?

Also, it's sometimes difficult to hear on the system we use now, Blueant, so I was thinking about getting the add on unit for the Sena that allows you to hook up your ear buds to the Sena unit rather than use the included two speakers you mount in the helmet. Has anyone used this? And is there any advantage to mounting the mic, rather than using the boom in the helmet?

Can you also charge the unit while riding if the battery gets low? Like plug it into the accessory outlet near the rear seat on my 2011 R1200RT? I know the Sena has a lighter adapter to charge included in the kit, is it the small style like the accessory outlet on the bike? Or will I need an adapter.

2011 Ostra Grey Metallic R1200RT
post #14 of 27 Old Mar 10th, 2011, 3:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Kctay,

Hope this answers your questions.

Yes you will be able to talk to your wife on the other bike with the intercomm feature, they say it is good for 900 ft as I remember. You can pair up to four units and select the one you want to talk to via the jog dial. Press once for first pair, twice for second etc. It will interupt the music and then resume playing after disconnect. It takes a second or two for the connection, you will hear a beep when connected and disconnected and yes full duplex.

Yes you can use it and charge it at the same time, it comes with both an AC to USB charger/adapter and also a cigarette lighter plug adapter (normal size lighter end) for DC in.

Don't know about the ear bud adapters.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #15 of 27 Old Mar 10th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Kctay,

Hope this answers your questions.

Yes you will be able to talk to your wife on the other bike with the intercomm feature, they say it is good for 900 ft as I remember. You can pair up to four units and select the one you want to talk to via the jog dial. Press once for first pair, twice for second etc. It will interupt the music and then resume playing after disconnect. It takes a second or two for the connection, you will hear a beep when connected and disconnected and yes full duplex.

Yes you can use it and charge it at the same time, it comes with both an AC to USB charger/adapter and also a cigarette lighter plug adapter (normal size lighter end) for DC in.

Don't know about the ear bud adapters.
Try this link for various cobfig mounts etc

http://www.senabluetooth.com/shop/shop.php

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #16 of 27 Old Mar 11th, 2011, 1:45 am

Quote:
Can you also charge the unit while riding if the battery gets low? Like plug it into the accessory outlet near the rear seat on my 2011 R1200RT? I know the Sena has a lighter adapter to charge included in the kit, is it the small style like the accessory outlet on the bike? Or will I need an adapter.

Yes you can, that is another reason I like the Sena over the Scala. I would recommend getting a Powerlet plug that would fit your accessory socket, A 10 minute hack and slice at the most. Just make sure the polarity is correct.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/deluxe-plug/276

01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
post #17 of 27 Old Mar 11th, 2011, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctay
I'm looking to buy the Sena as well but have a few questions. If I am paired with my IPhone via bluetooth, listening to music via the IPhone, and my wife, who is on another bike with another Sena unit wants to communicate via the intercom system, does the music I am listening to pause, and the helmet to helmet communication get priority? Is the communication system full duplex?

Also, it's sometimes difficult to hear on the system we use now, Blueant, so I was thinking about getting the add on unit for the Sena that allows you to hook up your ear buds to the Sena unit rather than use the included two speakers you mount in the helmet. Has anyone used this? And is there any advantage to mounting the mic, rather than using the boom in the helmet?

You won't need the earbud adaptor unless you WANT to use that--where the blueant is topped out at the max volume setting, the Sena is only half-volume. I have decreased hearing from a medical issue and have NO problem hearing intercom and/or music with my Sena while riding and wearing standard EAR PLUGS, windshield down, 80mph, with the Sena's volume at about 75-80%.

post #18 of 27 Old Mar 17th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Quote:
It takes a second or two for the connection, you will hear a beep when connected and disconnected and yes full duplex.
Does it autoconnect with voice, or do you have to press the button every time? Does it auto-disconnect when you stop talking, or is it a button press again?

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #19 of 27 Old Mar 17th, 2011, 12:26 pm

In reference to the SENA the system can function in 2 modes. Yes you have to push the large dial to connect & disconnect voice in one mode, or you can set it to Auto VOX were a loud noise will trip the VOX the start talking & a silence of 20 seconds (I think) turns it off but this mode will reduce battery operation time.

Visit Sena.com & read the operation manual for all about the SMH10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
Does it autoconnect with voice, or do you have to press the button every time? Does it auto-disconnect when you stop talking, or is it a button press again?

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #20 of 27 Old Apr 4th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdon03LT
I've narrowed it down to two types of Bluetooth devices. Sena or Scala G4
I have a new Scorpion EXO 900 Modular Helmet.
[...]
Did you choose one?
I am in same prediciment with exact same choices and same helmet.

User reviews (excluding webBikeWorld as I find them to be NOT critical enough) are causing me to lean towards the Sena but I really like the FM on the Scala and the ability to Firmware upgrade. There was an upgrade to 3.0 a month ago that added a lot of features and I am wondering if that solved a lot of the issues riders were having with it.

I also found a site that had a picture of both units on a Scorpion 900 and the Scala looked out of place. The unit sat below the lip of the helmet and looked as if it would interfere with the shoulder whereas the Sena looked like it was made for the helmet. Even used the trap door I think.

I found the Sena pair on Buy. com for $269.00 and free shipping.
post #21 of 27 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 7:17 am Thread Starter

I picked the Sena..... I've used it twice now. I have not tried to pair it with the Pillon unit. Used it for music from my iPhone Touch. Volume not as good as I hoped. It is better though then my Chatterbox I used before.
Easy install, lower profile then the Chatterbox. Wires hide very nicely. I have a Scorpion EXO 900 Modular. No interference with the flip up.
Very easy to Nav through the Toggle.

Hope that helps....

Happy riding!

Don

2002 BMW Blue R1150 Rt
2002 BMW K1200 LT (Champagne)..SOLD
2003 Yamaha Roadstar 1600 SE..SOLD
1986 Honda Sabre v45.. SOLD
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan vn800..SOLD
1987 Yamaha Virago 535.. SOLD
1985 Kawasaki EX500.. SOLD

post #22 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 7:45 am

I recently went to the Sena from an Autocom wired system. I had tried the Scala in a store. The Sena is far more ergonomic. The users of the Scala tell me FM reception is marginal anyway, so probably not very useful.

Here's a huge thread on the Sena:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562357

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #23 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:18 am

I'm also not happy with my autocomm. The speakers suck. I replaced them, but speaker plugs perform so much better. The VOX control on the autocomm is a problem. If I set it so it doesn't get tripped up by wind noise, Michelle cannot activate it. I'd rather have a PTT. The noise sensor that is supposed to adjust the volume for wind has never worked as far as I can tell.

So, I'm thinking of trying the Sena. The downside would be that Michelle cannot hear the music from the zumo, as she'd be bluetoothed to my Sena, not the GPS. Still, she could bluetooth to her phone, and listen to music from her phone. Her taste is different than mine anyway.

Still, I'm just not sure the fidelity would be very good from a bluetooth connection. I'm going to investigate this item some more.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #24 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:51 am

Thanks to this thread, I ordered the Sena and will try this weekend.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #25 of 27 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 12:09 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

We have the Scala G4 & love them. The FM works better then the one in my truck & I can plug my Ipod into it & listen to it. I have my phone bluetoothed to mine & Sammie has her phone to hers. I did not like the speaker so I removed them & hooked up a female 3.5 jack to plug my ear buds into & the sound is GREAT. We are going to Big Bend this weekend (1300 to 1500 miles round trip in 3 days) & I'll report back again on how i like the Scala after that.

Stevie Shreeve
post #26 of 27 Old May 12th, 2011, 9:33 pm

I have the Sena SMH10 and love it! Through my android phone, which I've mounted to my handlebars, I can listen to music, listen to GPS voice commands and talk on the phone. Plus the helmet to helmet intercom - ALL WIRELESS! Sound clarity is very, very good and the volume of the speakers in the ear is as loud as you would want it to be. Microphones work great with virtually no background noise. Go for the Sena...

2009 R1200RT
post #27 of 27 Old May 16th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Question. Do any of these systems bluetooth to the BMW audio system on the R1200RT or are they just "stand alone" units?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in