BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Best Performance/Best Value Bluetooth/Intercom

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  clint1093 
#1 ·
Hey guy's.....
Not that I'm LAZY.... Okay.... I'm LAZY! I really didn't find past post that answered my questions..

Alright, I can't make a decision...... Currently using Chatterbox Non-Blue tooth, Rider/Pillion. Cables....Cables and more Cables.... Can someone possible rank the best system at the best value. Don't want to break the bank but I don't want to be a Cheap-As*....External or Helmet w/ built-in! Like a Nolan!

Criteria:
Gps
Iphone/Ipod
Passenger
Other riders

Thanks,
Don

#2 ·
There is no best system. There are compromises, and you have to weigh them as they relate to your riding and your expectations and your priorities.

For me the "best" system was a wired Autocom SP-A. I was not willing to live with the compromises of any of the wireless systems, and I was willing to pay the price for Autocom. The one wire to the helmet is a non-issue to me, having no wire is not a benefit to me. Wires going to the accessory are necessary anyway, at least for power, so also having audio wires to them is trivial.

Your priorities may be different.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks....

Happy Riding !!!!!!

#5 ·
I have been using the SMH-10 since last May & have found them to be very good. Volume for the most is excellent. Once you understand the linking process the systme works very good.
I recently won another Dual set from SENA & another mount with either a boom mic & wired mic option.
I used the original boom mic mount last year but purchased this optional mount via eBay in late October & have now mounted it with the wired mic option testing just standing around it works good & mounted into my Symax II gives me more room between mouth & mic sock (for me Big Head :)).
If your looking for a non wired system I would recommend.

#6 ·
I have a Garmin 665.

This provides me with Stereo Bluetooth XM radio, MP3 Nav, Weather, Traffic Red Light Camera Alert and pairs perfectly with both the headset I have listed below and my Blackberry Storm.

The headset I use is J& M HS-BLU277EDR-FF, I believe they just updated their software to V.14 and the new part # is HS-eblu629edr-FF

The new V.14 software was desisgned to further improve the rider/passenger wireless intercom feature.

I have V.12 software I believe and was told by J & M the best way for rider/Passenger was to plug the passenger's non-BT headset into the back of my control module. But I believe the new software, (and by the way thier units are software upgradeable) does a better job of wireless rider/passenger intercom as well as simultaneously pairng to the Zumo and the phone parirnig to the Zumo.

I also sent my helmet down to J& M to have the speakers and Mic installed. Shoei helmets are more difficult to install the in-helmet mic into, since I use a Full Face and a boom won't work.

I actually bought my headsets and had the install done by a Gal who sells the stuff up the street from J & M and sells it and does installs at quite a discount. She was very, very helpful and responsive. I'll find her name and website if you are interested.

J & M Speakers have excellent sound quality and there customer service has been unsurpassed!

You need no central communication unit other then the Zumo for this to work. The only thing it does not provide is bike to bike. Which I had no interest in for the extra cost to make that availalble.

#7 ·
kellenbenz said:
Web bike world rated the Sena SMH10 as the best of 2010:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/best-motorcycle-products-2010.htm

Review part 1:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

Review part 2:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/sena-smh10-part-2.htm

For my useage I would pair this up with a Garmin 660 and have mp3, gps , and connect it to whatever cell.

Ron
+1 on the Sena. It works great and there is nothing extra to buy.

#8 ·
Thanks..... I'm leaning towards the Sena!!

#9 ·
#10 ·
J & M HS-Blu277EDR-FF $205.00
J & M HS-BCD279-UN (Non-Bluetooth, slim speakers for Flip Front, boom mike) $100.00
Installation of both headsets in Helmets $80.00
8-Pin Passenger, Curly Cord $19.00
Shipping Freight to return Helmets $37.56

Passenger hears everything I do, Music, Nav, Phone calls and we can talk to each other. Separate volume control for Comm and paired devices. If you get a second Bluetooth unit for passenger it would add about $105.00

Total = $441.56

without installation & shipping $324.00

#11 ·
kellenbenz said:
Web bike world rated the Sena SMH10 as the best of 2010:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/best-motorcycle-products-2010.htm

Review part 1:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

Review part 2:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/sena-smh10-part-2.htm

For my useage I would pair this up with a Garmin 660 and have mp3, gps , and connect it to whatever cell.

Ron
+1. I axed Mrs. Santa to put the SENA unit on Mr. Santa's Xmas list and she did. Came down the chimney the night before the tree ceremony! Installed it easy in a Vemar helmet; charged it up; paired it with an iPhone 3Gs; made a call from ole Toad at speed, and Mrs. Santa thought I wuz in the next room!

Very easy to use, with gloves. Controls are intuitive, once you cycle thru 'em a coupla times. Great little helmet speakers - thin and appear well built, with good sound in voice mode. Microphone includes windsock, and doesn't need to be positioned directly in front of/contact with lips like a coupla other units I've used.

Auto answer and voice dial feature, thru Bluetooth mode, is great. I did find that I needed to enunciate clearly, since my phone/address list is over 300 items and several have close sounding names.

BTW - I selected the solo rider version, since that's how I ride. YMMV. Good luck in your selection among the various manufacturers of communications systems.

This one came from RevZilla.com. Their customer service is A1, as is SENA. Free shipping to boot. Several models are available.

#12 ·
Dick said:
+1. I axed Mrs. Santa to put the SENA unit on Mr. Santa's Xmas list and she did. Came down the chimney the night before the tree ceremony! Installed it easy in a Vemar helmet; charged it up; paired it with an iPhone 3Gs; made a call from ole Toad at speed, and Mrs. Santa thought I wuz in the next room!

Very easy to use, with gloves. Controls are intuitive, once you cycle thru 'em a coupla times. Great little helmet speakers - thin and appear well built, with good sound in voice mode. Microphone includes windsock, and doesn't need to be positioned directly in front of/contact with lips like a coupla other units I've used.

Auto answer and voice dial feature, thru Bluetooth mode, is great. I did find that I needed to enunciate clearly, since my phone/address list is over 300 items and several have close sounding names.

BTW - I selected the solo rider version, since that's how I ride. YMMV. Good luck in your selection among the various manufacturers of communications systems.

This one came from RevZilla.com. Their customer service is A1, as is SENA. Free shipping to boot. Several models are available.

Make sure to "train" your phone's voice dial feature using the Sena unit on the helmet (especially if you have a Blackberry). Will make a world of difference for voice dialing and other commands.

P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.