Where did you mount your Autocom control box? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Where did you mount your Autocom control box?

They recommend under the seat, but it seems like you'd want to tweak it here and there. Or am I wrong about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Re: Where did you mount your Autocom control box?

Oh, and I got the SP-A unit.
post #3 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Under the pillion. One tweak, then ride on!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

post #4 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Haven't touched mine since it was installed. Sort of hard to describe where it's installed. Close to the passenger seat power plug. More to the side. Probably have to take a picture to really show you.

Ya, what he said......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Mine's in the same place as Dan's. It was a pain in the butt getting it set where I wanted it - mostly the VOX sensitivity due to my wife's soft voice. Now that I have it where it works best, I never bother with it.
post #6 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 10:29 pm
cws

Garage

Velcroed behind the passengers seat backrest onto the top-box wall... keeps it out of the way and also dry.
Power taken from rear powerlet plug behind the LH rear speaker enclosure, just run the wire out of the same hole (that the power goes "in" through...). It is switched power, so no chance of leaving the unit on accidentaly unless you leave the key in the "R" or "ON" position.
I think this works better than drawing it from the seat heater plug.

If you use another input module (phone or music) it can fit neatly under the seat edge above the LH pannier.... although its good to tape them up to stop water that can get up to that area...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 26 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Seems like everyone agrees on the general location. So I guess I need a pretty long cable to reach the iPhone up front.

Anyone using the LT-specific speaker switch box they talk about here:

http://www.autocom.co.uk/PDF/CarTypeMusic.pdf
post #8 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 12:03 am
cws

Garage

Yep, wired into the rear-speakers and you can switch between the rear speakers or the comms. Discussed in a thread here (see last 2 posts) about a caution on the wiring diagram, which was shown incorrectly for the LT... look at the other bike setup pic's to get the wiring directions correct and save youself some grief....

Edit: I think is the one that shows the + / - directions and which side to wire to...

Some good pics here about wiring into the rear speaker connector... but I can't recall if these gets the wiring direction correct.. ( I don't think they did, maybe that's why I had problems with the crook instructions )

I was lucky I put the switch "just" low enough to install the Muddiman arm-rests some years later without having to move the switch!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:11 am.
post #9 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 12:38 am
Gold Supporter

Garage

Wow Chris, really nice posting on the how to! Most excellent effort.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #10 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Put mine on top of the radio in the glove box.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 7:17 pm
cws

Garage

Doug, do you ever use that little Aux input in your glove box...? I put one in same place, and tried it once I think... just another dust gathering hole now.

BTW, I just ordered a DICE unit from here... will finally strip the CD player out to make more space for my trip.... I'll put the lady's Iphone it it and play her tunes... heh, heh...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 26 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Ya I plug the ipod in there and then it can go through the radio into the autocom. I have found out that to use the ipod without running the volume way up you need am amp, I may put an amp like a Boostaroo in one of these days. I also have a Dice system hook up to the autocom but never use it. Most of the time now I ride alone so I just plug my moulded earphones into the ipod stick it in my jacket and control it with a "Monster" remote on the handlebars.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 26 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 6:12 am

Mine went on top of the battery in bubble wrap.
post #14 of 26 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 8:34 am

Under the passenger seat off to the side.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 26 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 11:39 am Thread Starter

I like the location up front, but since I have the tape deck I have no space like the CD leaves. I'd have to kill off the space for keeping "stuff" in there, which I've been using for the garage door opener and other little things.
post #16 of 26 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
I like the location up front, but since I have the tape deck I have no space like the CD leaves. I'd have to kill off the space for keeping "stuff" in there, which I've been using for the garage door opener and other little things.
You can take out the black spacer above the radio/tape unit and you have lots of room up there. You have to take the stingray off and take out the radio from the back then take out the spacer and replace the radio unit but you have lots of room up there.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #17 of 26 Old Dec 9th, 2010, 7:41 pm

I got the idea of putting it there after i saw someone take the cover off above the radio and use it to store his Glock there. Lots of room up there.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 26 Old Dec 10th, 2010, 6:10 am Thread Starter

Oh, maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Are you saying that there's a useless/removable cover in there hiding some free space?

The SP-A has a long "rider's headset" cord and a short one for the passenger. Does it matter which one you use for which person? If I put the unit up front, can I use the short one for my headset?
post #19 of 26 Old Dec 10th, 2010, 7:38 am

Frank, so your wife has a quiet voice? Must carry a big stick!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Mine's in the same place as Dan's. It was a pain in the butt getting it set where I wanted it - mostly the VOX sensitivity due to my wife's soft voice. Now that I have it where it works best, I never bother with it.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 26 Old Dec 10th, 2010, 9:38 am

Yes she does! And I have the welts to prove it
post #21 of 26 Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:04 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Oh, maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Are you saying that there's a useless/removable cover in there hiding some free space?
There is, but you need to take the stingray off to take the little plastic cover out. Whip the little sucker out while your doing your wiring, gives you more compartment, but... you might want to put something that blocks anything from going too far in there... I had a set of spare keys get stuck behind the radio for ages, even with a vinyl barrier to stop things going too far. My garage opener tucks in there now, along with some other stuff (dont own a glock, don't need 'em over here )

Quote:
The SP-A has a long "rider's headset" cord and a short one for the passenger. Does it matter which one you use for which person? If I put the unit up front, can I use the short one for my headset?
Check your documentation, from (fading) memory I'm pretty sure you have to use the riders one as I think it has to be connected first for the unit to be powered...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 26 Old Dec 14th, 2010, 10:43 am Thread Starter

I ended up putting it under the back seat as they recommend. I'm not sure if I'll be unhappy with that if I end up having to tweak it, but we'll see.

I found some answers in the owner's manual, go figure. The rider/passenger lead is critical, because only the rider lead will "listen" to the noise sensor. But it's easy to open the box and swap the leads internally so the long one is passenger and short one is rider. They show you what to do.
post #23 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2010, 10:05 am

I put mine in the trunk, that way I can get to it if needed. It is small and does not take up much room.
post #24 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2010, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

An interesting thought, never crossed my mind. The side case might be good also. Thanks for the idea.
post #25 of 26 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:59 pm

Thumbs up Re: Where did you mount your Autocom control box?

I have the superpro AVI and didn't know about having to use the riders lead for a while. The older pro7 I had didn't have the noise sensor. The new one, because of the noise sensor which is what drops the volume when you slow down is the coolest feature so be sure you use the riders wire and definitely install the noise sensor otherwise you lose out on that feature. I installed both of mine in the tankbags on my bikes. That way I can get to the vox control cause no matter what, my passengers mic's always kick on cause of wind noise. Hard to get them to understand how important mic placement is w/ these autocom's. Love my system but others have their plus's also.

Tim

1996 K1100RS
2001 Triumph Sprint ST
post #26 of 26 Old Feb 7th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer96
I have the superpro AVI and didn't know about having to use the riders lead for a while. The older pro7 I had didn't have the noise sensor. The new one, because of the noise sensor which is what drops the volume when you slow down is the coolest feature so be sure you use the riders wire and definitely install the noise sensor otherwise you lose out on that feature. I installed both of mine in the tankbags on my bikes. That way I can get to the vox control cause no matter what, my passengers mic's always kick on cause of wind noise. Hard to get them to understand how important mic placement is w/ these autocom's. Love my system but others have their plus's also.

here is a cheap fix for your wifes mike, might do it to yours also, it keeps the wind noise out and makes it easier to find the sweet spot .........Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Electronics...38759800_xqQFb

All you need is a 2156 open face conversion kit, some 2" X 2" soft sided velcro with adhesive back , and duct tape. You will be amazed how this works. I modify all mikes on the Autocom kits I send out and it works like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in