Intercom/Sound System alternatives - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Intercom/Sound System alternatives

I bought a 2005 LT with all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, the BMW electronics are buggy. Only one of the four speakers worked when I bought the bike and the intercom worked when if felt like it. I could always talk to my wife over the headsets, (if I used the CB mike switch) but she could not talk back. She was convinced that this was by design. Anyway, since our last trip in the rain (long story, don't ask) the whole system went down. No Radio/CD, intercom, GPS prompts or CB. The lights come on, but I can't even get the CD to accept the disc. When I balked at the $1000 price tage, the dealership advised me to buy a NIB intercom system on ebay. They said that new LT buyers aren't installing them, just selling them. My question is, if they aren't using the BMW Stereo, Intercom and GPS, what are they using? The dealer advised me that this system is the weak point in the post 05 LT, so I am not sure that I want to buy a new system just to have the old problems crop up again.

Is there a cheaper alternative that will fill all the needs? I could do without the CB, but really like the intercom, Radio/CD and being able to hear the GPS over my headset.

Gary Jepsen Ada, Michigan

2005 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes
2003 Yamaha FJR 1300
2000 Yamaha VMax
1974 Suzuki GT750 LeMans (Water Buffalo)
1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1978 Yamaha XS500
1986 Kawasaki KLR 600
1970 Suzuki GT250 Hustler
1973 Suzuki RV90 Rover
1969 Suzuki TrailHopper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Re: Intercom/Sound System alternatives

I went with the Starcom1 Digital works great plus you can feed what ever else you want into it.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 2:24 pm

My 2005 did not come with the intercom. I put an Autocom system on it, now I have the intercom and a FRS radio. Not sure Autocom is still in business.

Ultra LT

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 4:48 pm

I don't suppose there are any used Baehr comms out there? No, I won't sell mine.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
. . . . . Not sure Autocom is still in business.

Ultra LT
Autocom is very much in business. The problem is US distribution. There was a fella in OK who was about to take over, but have not heard/seen anything for a while. If there is no Autocom, I would be looking at Baehr. Glad my Voice II is working good.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2010, 6:25 pm

I wouldn't mind having mine set-up like yours, I can talk and her listen but she can't talk back. But then again.... We'll have to get off the bike sooner or later.
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Autocom is back in business and I am still a dealer for them. Kieth TTC,inc Tulsa, Ok 918-446-2245
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 2:44 pm

I bought my Beamer in the UK. It was a equipped with an Autocom system already and I am very satisfied with it

Well they are still in business!

Here is the link. Site is very helpfull even if you have an older system.

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #9 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 3:31 pm

I've had Autocom but have been using the Interphone F4 bluetooth for the last year and am really happy with it. Glad to be rid of the wires and sound is better.
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 3:59 pm

We have been using the Scala Q2 team set for bike to bike communications for the past two years. We recently upgraded to the Scala G4 power set and put one of the Q2s on our son's helmet. The past two weekends we have had great rides with all three of us being able to communicate at the same time. I think the next step is adding a Zumo and pairing it with my iphone. I think that should round out all the communications and entertainment needs. The only problem with having an intercom with the kid is now it is easier for him to ask "Are we there yet?"
Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I'm curious about the problems you experienced with the system. I have a 2009 LT. On a trip to from Omaha to Colorado a couple of months back we encountered heavy rain twice, The Intercom/Radio etc. ceased to work and I had a loud sound like ratcheting static. It grew louder the faster we rode but was not related to engine speed. The first time we were close to home so went back to the Dealer. I changed a cord and it stopped. The rain had stopped also. The next time was in a downpour in Granby, CO. Same symptoms. I brought it back to the dealer and they tore the system down and could not find the cause. A lot of head scratching went on but to their credit a lot of work and no charge. Dialectric grease was applied everywhere and I'm waiting for the next heavy rain opportunity to see if that worked. What were/are your audible symptoms?

Thanks!

Buffalo Bob

Bob Lake
MSF RiderCoach/GWRRA MI

post #12 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2010, 4:26 pm

I have the G4 power-set and have a Zumo 550 and Iphone 4. I have spent many hours on the phone with Garmin and Scala and cannot get some things working. I paired the phone with the Zumo and the G4 with the Garmin as instructed. I can call out with the setup but nobody can hear me on the other side. With Scala tech support we tested the intercom feature and it works that way but there seems to be no way to make calls out. Scala says it may be a problem with the Iphone 4 and the upgrades but at this time - I am clueless!!

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #13 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:22 am

When I first got the scala Q2s I had a motorola razer phone and it worked great. The iphone 3G worked with the Q2 but not as well. The razer was much louder and supported the voice dialing that worked well. Going through that change I feel that the phone is the culprit. I am planning to modify the headset and wire the current ear speakers to a jack where I can plug in Comply NR-10 ear buds. I am still deciding what Zumo to get.
Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #14 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:42 am

What kind of battery life are you guys seeing? I've seen ratings that are only 4-6 hours, so what do you do for an all-day ride?
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 1st, 2010, 1:48 pm

Interphone f4 is all day, or several days if turned off when not actually in use. The clue that the battery is getting low is that the audio 'dings' take longer when you power on or off.
post #16 of 18 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 1:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglake
I'm curious about the problems you experienced with the system. I have a 2009 LT. On a trip to from Omaha to Colorado a couple of months back we encountered heavy rain twice, The Intercom/Radio etc. ceased to work and I had a loud sound like ratcheting static. It grew louder the faster we rode but was not related to engine speed. The first time we were close to home so went back to the Dealer. I changed a cord and it stopped. The rain had stopped also. The next time was in a downpour in Granby, CO. Same symptoms. I brought it back to the dealer and they tore the system down and could not find the cause. A lot of head scratching went on but to their credit a lot of work and no charge. Dialectric grease was applied everywhere and I'm waiting for the next heavy rain opportunity to see if that worked. What were/are your audible symptoms?

Thanks!
I did not have any audible symptoms. It just quit working. The CD popped out and would not go back in. At this point everything else quit as well. When I turn on the system, I get an error message on the dash about "No Radio". The parts guy at the dealership was guessing that it would be the intercom system, but I am not sure. I checked all the fuses and don't see any obvious problem. Have still not torn it apart. Now that the snow is here and I can't ride, maybe I will get started on the big tupperware party.
Gary

2005 K1200LT

Previous Bikes
2003 Yamaha FJR 1300
2000 Yamaha VMax
1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1978 Yamaha XS500
1986 Kawasaki KLR 600
1973 Suzuki RV90 Rover
1969 Suzuki TrailHopper
post #17 of 18 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 1:57 am Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback on the intercom replacement. I am an IT guy, so bluetooth appeals to me. I wonder about what to do to upgrade/replace the stereo system. Any suggestions?

2005 K1200LT

Previous Bikes
2003 Yamaha FJR 1300
2000 Yamaha VMax
1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1978 Yamaha XS500
1986 Kawasaki KLR 600
1973 Suzuki RV90 Rover
1969 Suzuki TrailHopper
post #18 of 18 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JepsenG
I appreciate the feedback on the intercom replacement. I am an IT guy, so bluetooth appeals to me. I wonder about what to do to upgrade/replace the stereo system. Any suggestions?
Do a search on Jensen radio. Several on here have modified them on their LT's. Its on my bucket list.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in