Garmin 660 and Dice I-BMW-T Will It Work? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 25th, 2010, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 660 and Dice I-BMW-T Will It Work?

Recently I purchased a Garmin 660 GPS to replace my Garmin 2720 with full knowledge that it was going to be difficult to integrate all the functions that I am used to with the 2720 into the J&M ComSystem I have on my '99 K12LT. The 2720 wired right up using only 3 wires in the OE BMW/J&M to Garmin wiring harnesses and works flawlessly. At any rate, after talking to Garmin about updating the 2720 with new MapSource data I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a newer model. I've been trying to figure out how to integrate the new GPS so that I have the same functionality (or better) with the new 660 and may have inadvertently stumbled onto something today. This afternoon while doing some initial experimenting with the new unit in my truck, I had an epiphany.

Using the 660s 3.5mm audio out port (on the side of the unit) and the 3.5mm aux port on the front of my truck's radio I discovered that I got gps voice directions, a cell phone connection, and MP3 through the truck's speakers. The audio for each also muted in priority for each source - MP3 muted for directions, and both muted for the cell phone. So I got to thinking - would the aux port on my Dice I-BMW-T Silverline (replaces my CD changer) which is also 3.5mm allow me to simply wire the Garmin 660 through the Dice aux port with the same results? I know I'd have to select the proper input through the radio controller/stingray, but would that give me everything I'm getting in the truck? I also realize that as soon as I select AM/FM, WX radio, single CD, etc, etc, that the 660s info would cease to be connected in a usuable way using the Dice connection. The Dice aux is advertised to be able to connect an XM radio, an mp3 player, TV, or any other audio device to the vehicles audio system. Am I missing something? Will the 3.5mm port on the 660s wiring harness provide the same audio as the 3.5mm audio out on the unit's side? I'm one of those dual GPS guys for long hauls, so I'll still have my trusty 2720 mounted as well, with the old tried and true connections, so I shouldn't get too lost or lonely when I need to switch to a single CD or to FM for company.

I don't have the bike with me right now, or I'd be out checking it myself, but would/will this work? Anybody tried this? Pitfalls? BTW, I use and old Nokia cell phone wired to the J&M, so I'm not concerned about Bluetooth cell connections. I'd just like to find a simple solution and not have to cut and splice the 660s monstrous motorcycle wiring harness!

Thanks,
Bill Edwards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 26th, 2010, 1:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Garmin 660 and Dice I-BMW-T Will It Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1
I don't have the bike with me right now, or I'd be out checking it myself, but would/will this work? Anybody tried this? Pitfalls? BTW, I use and old Nokia cell phone wired to the J&M, so I'm not concerned about Bluetooth cell connections. I'd just like to find a simple solution and not have to cut and splice the 660s monstrous motorcycle wiring harness!

Thanks,
Bill Edwards
Hi Bill,

I have a 550 and I use the audio out into the Aux port of the Dice with a BMW Comm3. It works very well. I did Bluetooth my phone however and it too works well.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #3 of 5 Old Oct 26th, 2010, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Ernie,

Thanks for responding. I won't have access to the bike again until Thursday, so I can't even look at the Dice unit until then, and even then I have a couple of questions about getting the units hooked up. Does the Dice have a switch on the unit to toggle back and forth between the IPod and aux, or is it an internal toggle using the handlebar controls? If it's handlebar controls, how do you get to the proper menus, and what are they? Is it easy to do on the fly?

I've got a bluetooth phone, but have continued to use the old Nokia wired directly into the ComSystem (Comm3). Does the phone work through the Dice aux connection as well or is there something you've done differently to make it work?

Did you use shielded cabling to the Dice (mine's in the right side case) to eliminate electrical hum, or is that necessary?

Thanks in advance for any answers / advice / ideas.

Bill

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 2:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1
Ernie,

Thanks for responding. I won't have access to the bike again until Thursday, so I can't even look at the Dice unit until then, and even then I have a couple of questions about getting the units hooked up. Does the Dice have a switch on the unit to toggle back and forth between the IPod and aux, or is it an internal toggle using the handlebar controls? If it's handlebar controls, how do you get to the proper menus, and what are they? Is it easy to do on the fly?

I've got a bluetooth phone, but have continued to use the old Nokia wired directly into the ComSystem (Comm3). Does the phone work through the Dice aux connection as well or is there something you've done differently to make it work?

Did you use shielded cabling to the Dice (mine's in the right side case) to eliminate electrical hum, or is that necessary?

Thanks in advance for any answers / advice / ideas.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I simply used a 3mm stereo cable (It happened to be a cable from Garmin I had purchased long ago for my 2730) that had a 90 degree end and a straight pin on the other end. It is 6 feet long, and it runs along the top left of the fuel tank then crosses the frame to the right side in front of the battery. It then enters the right saddlebag through a hole drilled in a protected area near the brake fluid res.

The cable plugs into the "Aux" port of the Dice unit. The Dice software allows for access through the handlbar controls via CD5 track 2. It will allow you to then control the volume of the GPS Audio (and XM if you are using it) with the handlebar controls. The phone audio will also work when paired using bluetooth. The Microphone connection was a little tricky. Ed at Edsets helped me with the microphone. I used to use a Nokia cell with a BMW connecting cord. I use a mono cord that I bought from radio shack (2.5mm I believe) and spliced the BMW cable onto one end to fit into the Cellphone port in the oddments box. the other end plugs into the "mic" port on the side of the Zumo. When the mic is plugged into the comm system it over rides the CB but that is ok most of the time unless we are riding in a group. If I get a call I reach into the oddments box and plug it in. Most of the time I don't talk while riding anyway. I do listen to voicemails and return calls frequently.

I hope this helps. The Dice website has a downloadable manual that explains the Aux port and how to access it. the flexibility I now have has my bikes audio system functioning just the way I like it.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ernie. I'm eager to start on this project.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in