J&M CB - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:19 am Thread Starter

J&M CB

I was looking at the J&M CB for my bike and I would some input if any one is using this unit.
I realize you get what you pay for, just want to justify $ 750.00 US for the whole pkg.
Any thoughts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:43 am

Re: J&M CB

I have the J&M CB. I have two sets. We used them on a Buell Ulysses and a Suzuki GS 500. It didn't work well at all on the Suzuki due to engine electronic interference which we were unable to correct. It worked okay on the Ulysses. I haven't installed it on my RT, so I have no idea how it will work on the BMW. The place I bought it from in Ohio said that they did have problems with certain BMW's but I do not know what models. I will be selling both units that I have but I haven't put a price on them yet.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:04 pm

I have been advised that the CB frequencies do not play well on the RT

I can confirm that my Autocom system which as a connection to an AM/FM/WB radio has massive interference on the AM channels (CB is AM...) no matter where I put the receiver.

What I do not understand is that the K1200LT's can have factory installed CB and apparently no interference.

Go figure.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 7:35 pm

I had the BMW branded version of the J&M CB on my 2008 R12RT. Worked fantastic.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the input… I have many years of experience due to I am a truck driver and have owned several trucks. The noise(am) comes from two basic places, Obvious the power supply , but a lot of installers don’t ground the antenna , and get the right kind of coax for the app. Let alone the right antenna for the right app. I did not know that BMW had a CB for these bikes. . I have a few friends who have led Wings and there radios and work so very well.
I just can”t decide what to go with, a Blue tooth Chatter bow BXI2 or the standard CB radio (J&M)

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
Albert Einstein.

post #6 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 8:48 pm

I'm running a J&M full system on my R12RT. I don't know who "advised" hopz that the CB freq's don't work well on the RT but they don't know what they are talking about - based on my experience. I pulled the system from my R11RT-P and now have it on the R12RT.

The only "issue" I have is range is a bit limited. However, that's due to my antenna selection - and it was done with full knowledge of the result. I use the J&M wired headset and mic. Both transmission and reception is very clear.

I have the CB to use to use when I ride with a buddy that also has one and to control other audio - which is also, crystal clear.

Would I buy it again - most definately.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you put a ferrite choke coil (Radio Shack) on the microphone cord and install the J&M noise suppression kit at your power connection you should be fine. I fixed a J&M on an 1150RT and a Midland on my K1200LT that way. Careful, proper grounding is essential as well because BMW does not use the frame as a common ground.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 1:22 am

Just as a side note, I have J&M Bluetooth headset installed in my helmet paired with a Zumo 665. and the 665 paired with my Blackberry storm. XM. MP3, Nav and phone. Also hardwire to passenger (although the unit is capable of bluetooth to passenger) the only thing I am missing is bike to bike. But then again I spent less then $350.00 for 2 headsets install and a cord.

It works great.

But what I wanted to comment on is J&M's excellent customer service. They have been extrememly responsive. And also installed all the components in my Shoei Helmet for a nominal fee. (Installing the mic in a shoei helmet is a bitch)

Also I had one of the control buttons (The pairing button) on the control head. I called they asked me a few questions. I sent the unit to them and the sent me a new one the same day and emailed me when it was recieved and the new unit sent out!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 6:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
I was looking at the J&M CB for my bike and I would some input if any one is using this unit.
I realize you get what you pay for, just want to justify $ 750.00 US for the whole pkg.
Any thoughts
I currently have the Starcom Digital set up and it does work well for everything I want it to do except for one thing and thats a cell phone. I've tried many different adjustments and I just can't seem to fix the garbled voices the caller hears. I've got a couple of things left on my list to try and if it doesn't work I'm gonna get the J&M system.

Before I got the Starcom I called J&M to get a total cost of what it was going to take to get what I needed and it came to something like $1200.00 and that was without the headsets. I already have J&M headsets from when we had the LT. By the time you add the main unit, the integration terminal for the Zumo, cell and the cables for that, mounting bracket for the RT, a hidden cb antenna, it all added up pretty quick. I don't mind spending the money if it works.

I went with the Starcom system because of the cost of the J&M but I may have to ditch the Starcom and go with the J&M. I'll keep you posted on the Starcom and cell phone integration. Oh, also another reason I went with the Starcom was that I really didn't need or want the cb option but as long as it was there I decided to get the antenna just in case I wanted to start using it.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveaikens
I don't know who "advised" hopz that the CB freq's don't work well on the RT but they don't know what they are talking about -
I need to alter my earlier comments.

I was way too "casual" in my writing... I was incorrect about CB "frequencies". (as an old Signal corps veteran I should have been more precise)

I should have said that AM signals near the fuel pump and other "noise" generating things MAY create noise. MY cheezy, no antenna, small, battery operated AM/FM/Wx radio sucks on the AM band with the motor running. Motor off, I can hear AM loud and clear.

For the record, I have a FRS/GMRS Kenwood Bike-to-bike radio that many BMW Touring riders use on base Channel 2 with no privacy sub-channel. It is my experience that many Harley guys use CB and BMW guys use GMRS.Of course this varies all over the map.

The Kenwood/Autocomm set-up works beautifully.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:32 am

Ah. That makes sense. However, this was a J&M specific question.

The J&M JCMB-2003 CB System is a well filtered system that is designed to work well in motorcycle applications. Comparing it to other CB's on bikes is like comparing motorcycle to an 18-wheeler, you just can't do it.

I would also say, it IS NOT a cheap system. IMO, you do get what you pay for - solid performance, clear communication and as noted elsewhere, great service.

Here's a link to the CB goodies: J&M Corp . If you want more information, hit them at 1-800-358-0881. Ask for Pete and tell him I sent you.

Disclaimer: Pete is a friend. However, I couldn't give a rats rectum if he sells you something or not - he's not on commission. Just a knowledgable good guy..

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Hello Hopz…Thanks for the correction on your earlier post. That quite all right, I have worked with the CB band and 10 meter for a long time. As a old time trucker the CB naturally fits with in my expertise, I was wondering about FRS radio’s but most of my fellow riders use the CB. I have decided to go with the one that a fellow member posted he had for sale. A BMW 2300 (J&M) unit. If it works as good as he says it does it will do the job nicely.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
Albert Einstein.

post #13 of 15 Old Oct 18th, 2010, 6:40 pm

I have had a J&M CB on my RT for over four years now. It has worked without problems and proven quite reliable. Like others, I chose CB due to other manufacturers including it on their bikes and the ability to get updates from truckers on the road. I have it hardwired into my Zumo 550. The MP3, GPS audio and cell phone all get nicely prioritized with nothing else by the Zumo. The good folks at Kennedy Engineering provided a cell-set mic splitter and direct plug in adapters for the 2003 CB that allowed the cell phone to be used through my headset mic. It all works well for a lot less than $1200.00

Sierra Electronics in Ohio sells J&M at a decent discount with good service and advise. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Gr8ridn

Kern Valley CA

2018 R1200RT
2016 S1000XR
1976 R90/6
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 3:07 pm

I have the J&M CB too (model JMCB2003-SL). The one with the J&M logo on it...not the BMW(OEM) radio...which is also made by J&M. Anyway, I'm using it with the BMW CB antenna that's made for the LT...only I changed the whip.

I've had some issues (see my previous threads in this forum about it) with squealing, and noise. I was able to solve the squealing problem by installing a longer whip, and then tuning (i.e. cutting) the antenna whip until I achieved the optimum SWR readings (must have an SWR meter to do this).

Te noise problem however, I have not been so successful with, and have simply learned to live with it. The noise is coming from the power supply on the bike. I do have the J&M noise filter installed (doesn't help), and I've even tried installing a ground loop isolator, and moving wires around to position them as far away from the batt/alternator as possible...but all of that was of no help. The only time I can make ignition/alternator noise go away, is to disconnect the J&M CB from my Beahr Intercomm system. So....I just live with it. I ride with ear plugs, so it's not really that noticeable.

The system itself works fine. I use it often when riding in groups to communicate to the others, and it's been quite handy to have when I'm cruising the super slab (to hear about traffic back-ups, wrecks, etc). Doing so has saved me from some rather lengthy Chicagoland traffic back-ups by hearing of them well ahead of time..and being able to exit early and take an alternate route.

The $750 price you're quoting must be for the BMW CB? I only paid about $250 for my model JMCB2003-SL.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2010, 3:35 pm

I just removed my BMW CB Communicator (By J&M) It worked great but I don't use it and don't need it, besides it blocked my view of the OBC.

If any body is interested in it send me a PM and make an offer.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in