Telephone Connecting Cable? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Telephone Connecting Cable?

Anyone know what size jack is in the face of the BC3 comms system for telephone?

I had assumed it was a 2.5mm, but it's a very loose fit. I can get audio out from my mike to the other phone on the line, but can't hear what they are saying. I think it's a jack problem.

Thanks

Brett Anderson

Australian by birth, American by choice!

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:59 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Telephone Connecting Cable?

My cable says BCP-15L on it. 2.5mm on each end.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Brett,
I think you have the right size for the jack, I have a cable that I use for my cell phone, it does seem a little loose when you first put it in the hole, when I put it all the way in, it locks on the catch and is snug. I am assuming that you are using a stereo plug, that has 3 sections on it....One of the problems I have is that when I bought the bike, it came with a plug that was only 6" long, I hooked my phone up in the stingray, but there was some bad interference, so I got a 6' cord, and lead it to the phone in the pocket of my jacket. That works great. The other thing that is weird it that the volume is not controlled by the controller on the handlebar, it has to be adjusted on the phone...
Rich C

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
My cable says BCP-15L on it. 2.5mm on each end.
Thanks mate. Is it mono or stereo? Got a picture maybe? This thing is beginning to perplex me.

Brett Anderson

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #5 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Brett,
I think you have the right size for the jack, I have a cable that I use for my cell phone, it does seem a little loose when you first put it in the hole, when I put it all the way in, it locks on the catch and is snug.
Rich C
Nevermind Ted. I'm a numb nutz.

Rich, you hit it right on the head. I couldn't find a patch cable on short notice so I built one. The 90 degree 2.5mm plug I used is a solder style and the housing opens up to access the connections. When I closed it, the pin was not fully exposed, so it would not lock into the socket correctly.

I love this forum, even if it does make me look dum b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
The other thing that is weird it that the volume is not controlled by the controller on the handlebar, it has to be adjusted on the phone...
Rich C
Yeah, same with the MP3 player. Poor design, along with not allowing MP3 to play through the speakers. It was done that way deliberately, as opposed to "couldn't be done" the other way. Not sure of the reasoning. I ran out of time for this trip, but have a mostly reworked system that solves both of those issues. We'll see if I can get it finished up after I get back from my next trip.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #6 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:36 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretta
Thanks mate. Is it mono or stereo? Got a picture maybe? This thing is beginning to perplex me.
Here ya go. I think I have an extra one if you'd like to buy it

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CABLE.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	28981  

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 6:17 am

If you are in need of a computer, audio or video cable you might want to try here: http://www.pchcables.com/ They seem to have any cable, gender changer, etc. that I have ever needed. Shipping is REALLY fast for me. They are across the street from the Intel facility where my wife works!

One more thing. My BlackBerry uses a 4 conductor plug. A stereo plug will also work but the 4th conductor is used for a wired hands free earplug thingey that comes with the phone from AT&T.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Here ya go. I think I have an extra one if you'd like to buy it

The BCP-15L is only two black lines on each jack. I had this for my Palm Pre and I could only hear. The caller could never hear me speaking. This is the same result for Blackberrys and iPhones.

I bought this cable from J&M: Part # JMSR-AC19-BCS; $39.99 and it solved all of my "communications problems".

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....AC19-BCS&PF=40

This is a combination of 3 black lines (phone end) and 2 black lines (moto end) and now I can have a two way conversation.

I apologize for the reference to black lines on the jacks, but it is easier for me to understand than 3 pole and 4 pole.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 23 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:33 am

I wonder if they have one for the Droid.
post #10 of 23 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 4:38 pm

My understanding is that the Droid uses the same 3 black line jack as the iPhone and Blackberry (3.5 mm I think).

Should be the same cable as listed for the Blackberry.

Glenn

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #11 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
The BCP-15L is only two black lines on each jack. I had this for my Palm Pre and I could only hear. The caller could never hear me speaking. This is the same result for Blackberrys and iPhones.

I bought this cable from J&M: Part # JMSR-AC19-BCS; $39.99 and it solved all of my "communications problems".

This is a combination of 3 black lines (phone end) and 2 black lines (moto end) and now I can have a two way conversation.

I apologize for the reference to black lines on the jacks, but it is easier for me to understand than 3 pole and 4 pole.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
The "3 black line" connector is a TRRS connector. The traditional 2 line version is a TRS. Tip/Ring/Sleeve and Tip/Ring1/Ring2/Sleeve are what the designations refer to.

The photo on J&M's website is poor. Is the 2.5mm end a TRS, or even a TS (just one black ring)?

The reason for the second ring is microphone. You have left and right channel audio, plus microphone, plus ground, on a TRRS connector. It makes sense that one would need this connector, but interestingly I got my HTC (Android) phone working, albeit unreliably, with the standard TRS 3.5mm to TRS 2.5mm patch cable that I made.

Off to find a TRRS connector tomorrow to see if it makes a difference in reliability.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #12 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:38 am

Quote:
The "3 black line" connector is a TRRS connector. The traditional 2 line version is a TRS. Tip/Ring/Sleeve and Tip/Ring1/Ring2/Sleeve are what the designations refer to.

The photo on J&M's website is poor. Is the 2.5mm end a TRS, or even a TS (just one black ring)?

The reason for the second ring is microphone. You have left and right channel audio, plus microphone, plus ground, on a TRRS connector. It makes sense that one would need this connector, but interestingly I got my HTC (Android) phone working, albeit unreliably, with the standard TRS 3.5mm to TRS 2.5mm patch cable that I made.

Off to find a TRRS connector tomorrow to see if it makes a difference in reliability.

Great explanation Brett. Even I could understand it compared to my two/three black lines.

When I tried using the OEM cable, it was very reliable...I could not be heard. Now with the new TRRS to TRS cable I have never had an issue with reliability. It works (two way communication) every time.

Cheers,
Glenn

Glenn

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #13 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Glenn
Does this work on the VOICE II? I'd love to use my Blackberry with my 07 VOICE II equipped LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #14 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Does this work on the VOICE II? I'd love to use my Blackberry with my 07 VOICE II equipped LT.
I don't see why it wouldn't. The issue is with the phone end of the cable, with the Blackberry, Iphone and others needing the TRRS (4 circuit) pin.

Ironically, I was unable to get my HTC to work with a cobbled up version of that cable today. Don't have time to get a cable in for my trip, called J&M and was told that "shipping is very unreliable at the end of the month", whatever that means. I tried to get them to overnight one with Saturday delivery...... Instead, it was off to Radio Shack again.
After failing to get anything out of the home made TRRS cable, I tried my original TRS cable that I made a few days ago. It worked, then it didn't. Same as a few days ago. Opened it back up and found a bad solder joint. Fixed it and it worked perfectly for several calls. Then stopped working. Further investigation suggests I have an internal issue in the comms unit. Holding the 2.5mm TRS plug just right will make it work perfectly. Definately not a cable issue this time, so tomorrow I'm going to be ripping out the stingray again to open up the comms unit and try to fix it before Monday morning.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #15 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
After failing to get anything out of the home made TRRS cable, I tried my original TRS cable that I made a few days ago. It worked, then it didn't.
I should add that the TRRS cable problem was probably actually the jack in the comms unit. But my point is that a standard TRS pin works on an HTC Hero phone, which does make sense. The only reason for the 4 circuits on the TRRS is for stereo sound to the headset, which is not needed for the phone.

I'm sure tolerances vary, but apparently in the case of the HTC phone, the mic and one of the speaker circuits are completed with a standard TRS pin.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #16 of 23 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 1:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I should add that the TRRS cable problem was probably actually the jack in the comms unit. But my point is that a standard TRS pin works on an HTC Hero phone, which does make sense. The only reason for the 4 circuits on the TRRS is for stereo sound to the headset, which is not needed for the phone.

I'm sure tolerances vary, but apparently in the case of the HTC phone, the mic and one of the speaker circuits are completed with a standard TRS pin.
I just did some further searching on the BlackBerry forums and it appears that the biggest problem with the Storm2 and other BlackBerry devices is that they don't have a true auto answer function. The only auto answer function only answers if you have the phone in the holster and then remove it from the holster while it is still ringing. Apparently, it senses that the magnet is gone and then answers. However, most posts on the forum said that if the phone is out of the holster when the call comes in, then the phone will not autoanswer.

I wonder what RIM was thinking? Not having a true autoanswer function is just stupid.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 23 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I wonder what RIM was thinking? Not having a true autoanswer function is just stupid.
I believe their thinking comes from the fact that the phones are bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth headset, you have a button to press to answer.

Doesn't help those of us that are hardwiring the phone to the bike. I did find an app for my HTC Hero that is supposed to autoanswer. Haven't tested it yet.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #18 of 23 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 8:39 pm

I think you hit it on the head. I have a BBerry Bold 2 and use a Scala Rider Q2 Bluetooth intercom. I get a tone on an incoming call and simply press a button on the unit to answer.

Loren

Quote:
I believe their thinking comes from the fact that the phones are bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth headset, you have a button to press to answer.

Doesn't help those of us that are hardwiring the phone to the bike. I did find an app for my HTC Hero that is supposed to autoanswer. Haven't tested it yet.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #19 of 23 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Re: Telephone Connecting Cable? FIX

OK, so I opened up the comm unit and didn't like the look of the 2.5mm socket. The solder joints were dry and the jack itself was loose internally.

So given that I've had trouble finding, locally, a patch cable with 2.5mm on one end and 3.5 on the other, I simply swapped out the jack in the comm for a second 3.5mm jack.

Now, with a 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS male to male cable, the phone works flawlessly.

Didn't want to pull the tupperware again, so close to a trip, but figured while it was off and the radio was out, I'd play some more. So now have 2 USB ports supplying 5V power from the face of the radio, plus rewired and re-routed the laser jammer head unit, leaving me with lots of extra space (relatively speaking) in the oddments box.

Photo of the guts of the comms unit if anyone is interested. 2.5mm jack in the process of being removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bc3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	29068  

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #20 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:43 pm

How do you do the USB ports?
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheradan
How do you do the USB ports?
I'll do a writeup on it when I get back and actually finialize the system. But basically I removed the cassette portion of the radio and installed 2 USB ports and 2 Audio ports. It's not fully functional yet, I ran out of time, but the intent is to have the audio ports replicate the cassette deck, so your MP3 player will play through the speakers. USB ports are for 5V charging only, not for data transfer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	audio.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	29076  

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Quote:
I'll do a writeup on it when I get back and actually finialize the system. But basically I removed the cassette portion of the radio and installed 2 USB ports and 2 Audio ports. It's not fully functional yet, I ran out of time, but the intent is to have the audio ports replicate the cassette deck, so your MP3 player will play through the speakers. USB ports are for 5V charging only, not for data transfer.

What is that rocker switch on the right side of the oddments box?

Glenn

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
What is that rocker switch on the right side of the oddments box?
It's for the laser jammer. That's the controller on the left side, in it's temporary location but will have to be moved once I relocate the Valentine 1's remote audio into the radio.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in