Blutooth system. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Smile Blutooth system.

I was at the Beemer Bash in Quincy this last weekend and was talking to the RKA guy Richard Battles. He was demonstrating a full Bluetooth system, it includes a wiring harness that had plugs for Garmin GPS, FRS radio with push to talk, Radar detector, Phone or MP3 player, and a I-Pad/I-phone plug, this all plugged into a J&M bluetooth dongle which broadcast and received to a J&M bluetooth Headset. Finally cutting the cord ! Since the amplification happens at the Headset, it had surprisingly good sound quality and did not have the issue with pairing that I have seen on other systems. He did have an intercom system for rider/passenger that was bluetooth I believe, but since I ride solo I was not looking too closely at that. The cost runs about 800.00 for the harness, dongle and headset. He also told me he was getting 10 to 13 hrs. per battery charge on the headset, and it has easily changeable batteries for longer trips.

I t looks like someone finally came out with a system that works. I will let you what my experiences will be with this system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Blutooth system.

Just don't let Eileen see it because you know what will happen!
Lary
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:05 am

Are bluetooth systems compatible with each other or do you have to stay in system?
are they mix and match?

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:47 am

From my experience, it's a hit and miss when mixing systems. I'm about to find out how well the Sena smh10 will work with my 2011 RT (when it arrives) and my iPhone 4.
My new 2011 RT will arrive with Audio. From 2011 on, the RT audio will include integrated Bluetooth.
My test will determine how well Sena works with the factory audio bluetooth. My plan of attack is for my headset to connect directly to my iPhone 4 and my daughter's headset to connect to the RT's radio that will have an iPod Nano connected within.
Will provide feedback later.

Current:
2011 BMW R1200RT (Thunder Grey) on order
2010 Ducati Monster

Previous:
2010 Honda SH150i (sold)
2009 Suzuki Burgman 600 Exec (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Black and loaded (sold)
2007 Honda VTX 1300 (sold)
2005 Suzuki Volusia (sold)
2004 Yamaha Zuma (sold)
1995 Suzuki Bandit 600 (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago (sold)
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:54 am

I'm sure all Bluetooth systems are slightly different, but I've found that I had pairing issues if I didn't turn on all the Bluetooth devices BEFORE I turned on the headset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I'm sure all Bluetooth systems are slightly different, but I've found that I had pairing issues if I didn't turn on all the Bluetooth devices BEFORE I turned on the headset.
Are the issues with each use, or only on first setup?

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2010, 7:15 pm

I haven't met Richard but I had some serious email conversations with him last spring when i was trying to figure out the Bluetooth "thing". He sent me a proposal for a full-blown configuration that did everything. I'm sure it worked, based on his word, but the price was a turn-off and I didn't take the time to fine-tune the proposal to delete the items I already have (GPS, for example). The 2010 riding season kicked off and I haven't taken the time to figure it all out, or to finish working with him on his proposal.

In the moto-comm world RKA appears to be one of the front-runners. They thoroughly test everything. I have been using their previous-generation electrified bag and like it very much. The new-gen unit is an improvement, with that hard plate across the top for mounting electronics.

I have had a Sena SMH10 on my LT for a couple of weeks and I'm not making heads or tails of much of it. The BT B2B thing works, but I can't reliably get GPS directions, MP3, or phone going. I'll be watching for you Sena users to figure it out and tell us how to do it!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 12:08 am

I have been using the SENA SMH-10 for most of the summer, mounted to my HJC Symax II.
I have set it to use my Samsung UMPC that is located in front of me in the attached picture, if you look on the back on the UMPC you can see a white dongle (bluetooth) that is plugged in to the 3.5mm audio out. This I use to play music to the SENA via windows media player. I have recently stated using Garmin Mobile PC 10X (Bluetooth GPS receiver) and the music mutes when Mobile PC announces directions & resumes after.
Also I have used it with my Samsung mobile phone(with Bluetooth) I am able to make calls using voice commands, although I will admit it isn't too easy depending on wind noise. But it does work.
Today I just changed the SMH10 mount over to a new version with a wired mic instead of a boom mic. It seems to work in the house, but that's it till next Spring as I'm off to Australia Friday & won't return till Nov 20th, by which time i'm sure there will be lots of snow on the streets .
Getting the SMH10 to link I just followed the manual. But I have found that you need to have the emote devices turned on before you turn on your SMH10 headset. Also I found that I have to hold the large turn dial in once to get the audio link & & then again to get it to start, after that it's just the one long hold to pause &/or play again.

For the SO I have am Ipod in the right side bag with it's own bluetooth dongle in the apple dock port so that it gets charged at the same time. This on allows you to Fwd/Rev select next songs also, plus stop/start the music.

Hope this helps

OH the picture is part of a larger one taken at Crater Lake on our way to MOA Rally in Redmond this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3324.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	29354  

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 1:15 am

Some bluetooth systems pair better than others. Generally the newer they are, the better they pair. I have been hoping to see a bluetooth dongle that pugs into the LT Intercom plug.

I did find that Sony makes a Bluetooth adapter for iPods. It is meant to work with Sony's stereo bluetooth headset, but it pairs with my N103 bluetooth helmet just fine.

Worst at pairing is my BMW Nav III (garmin) GPS. It works so-so with my helmet, but the only thing my wife hears are the attention beeps, and when the GPS goes into nagging mode, the frequent beeps drive her crazy.

The J&M wiring harness sounds really cool.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2010, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
Are the issues with each use, or only on first setup?
Once the syncing is done initially, I have to do the audio devices first, then the headset. The syncing only needs to be done when a new device is to be connected to the headset. It also helps during the initial syncing to turn off all other Bluetooth devices near you so that the headset knows to sync to the device you're setting up. Once that that sync is established turn off the device and the headset, then turn on each device (phone, mp3 player) THEN turn on the headset. Everything should connect fine then.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #11 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2010, 5:18 pm

On any system that I set up, we limit the bluetooth connection to 1 phone and one other bluetooth device, any more that that and it is kind of like your neighbors dog that humps your leg at the most embarassing moment. Just because it says bluetooth versionxxx, it does not mean it is compatable and fully functional. I say why pay more for poor quality........use a hardwired system and limit bluetooth to the phone function only since it is intermittant. Why would you add a blob that has batteries to the side of your helmet when you just spent $600.00 for a light helmet, not to mention the battery life of the headset. Kieth JMO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in