Radio plays through speakers but not headset - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 5:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Radio plays through speakers but not headset

While on a trip last week, my radio/intercom experienced a strange failure mode. From what I have researched thus far in the archives, I will first try the "hard radio reset"procedure (battery disconnect), but I am curious as to whether anyone else has seen this failure mode. I did not find my particular mode in the archives thus far.

Basically, I was listening to an iPOD plugged into the AUX jack through my BMW headsets. The music suddenly stopped working. I switched back to the FM radio and it played fine through the headsets. After the next fuel stop, even the radio would not play. I then started experimentingand found that the radio would play through the speakers, but not the helmet headsets. I didn't try the iPOD as I had disconnected it at that point thinking maybe it was part of the problem.

Has anyone had their system fail this way where the music plays only through the speakers? The strange part is that the intercom still worked and I could still hear both the CB and the GPS through the headsets. It is ONLY the radio and AUX input that won't come through the headsets. Strange.

I am hoping the hard reset works as my warranty expired at the end of June. Figures...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:34 am
Senior Member
 
VRodPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orefield, PA, USA
Posts: 276
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
While on a trip last week, my radio/intercom experienced a strange failure mode. From what I have researched thus far in the archives, I will first try the "hard radio reset"procedure (battery disconnect), but I am curious as to whether anyone else has seen this failure mode. I did not find my particular mode in the archives thus far.

Basically, I was listening to an iPOD plugged into the AUX jack through my BMW headsets. The music suddenly stopped working. I switched back to the FM radio and it played fine through the headsets. After the next fuel stop, even the radio would not play. I then started experimentingand found that the radio would play through the speakers, but not the helmet headsets. I didn't try the iPOD as I had disconnected it at that point thinking maybe it was part of the problem.

Has anyone had their system fail this way where the music plays only through the speakers? The strange part is that the intercom still worked and I could still hear both the CB and the GPS through the headsets. It is ONLY the radio and AUX input that won't come through the headsets. Strange.

I am hoping the hard reset works as my warranty expired at the end of June. Figures...
Interesting. Mine failed last year, but I did not try to see if GPS still worked through the headsets. I had assumed the push button switch had failed and have a note to check it next time stingray is off. Next time I get on it I will put the GPS on and see if I get audio from it even though i do not get radio or AUX output.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.


<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VRodPete is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
Interesting. Mine failed last year, but I did not try to see if GPS still worked through the headsets. I had assumed the push button switch had failed and have a note to check it next time stingray is off. Next time I get on it I will put the GPS on and see if I get audio from it even though i do not get radio or AUX output.
Have you tried the "disconnect the battery for 20 minutes" trick?

What button do you think could have failed? My radio/intercom cycles through all of the modes just fine so I don't think mine can be due to a button failure. However, I would like to know your thinking on this as I may be missing something.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
Interesting. Mine failed last year, but I did not try to see if GPS still worked through the headsets. I had assumed the push button switch had failed and have a note to check it next time stingray is off. Next time I get on it I will put the GPS on and see if I get audio from it even though i do not get radio or AUX output.
Do you get radio through the bike's speakers? Please let me know if you are getting GPS commands through your headset as that would make your failure appear to be the same as mine. We can then share our troubleshooting methods and results. :-)

And hopefully find a solution that doesn't require an AMU or two of cost!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 4:06 pm
Senior Member
 
VRodPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orefield, PA, USA
Posts: 276
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Have you tried the "disconnect the battery for 20 minutes" trick?

What button do you think could have failed? My radio/intercom cycles through all of the modes just fine so I don't think mine can be due to a button failure. However, I would like to know your thinking on this as I may be missing something.
Battery disconnect trick did not work, tried that twice. I have a 2001, so my intercom (perhaps you have a newer, which would negate this whole discussion?) has a button inside the oddments box to switch between speakers and headset. It is a push-button toggle and does not feel like it engages very smartly, which is why I just thought that had failed. EDIT: I see you have a 2007, so I doubt we can share much info. Sorry - but I will still try to see what I can find out with my problem Friday.

I am currently out of town, will be back at the end of the week and will give the GPS a try and post up.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.


<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VRodPete is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 4:12 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
Battery disconnect trick did not work, tried that twice. I have a 2001, so my intercom (perhaps you have a newer, which would negate this whole discussion?) has a button inside the oddments box to switch between speakers and headset. It is a push-button toggle and does not feel like it engages very smartly, which is why I just thought that had failed. EDIT: I see you have a 2007, so I doubt we can share much info. Sorry - but I will still try to see what I can find out with my problem Friday.

I am currently out of town, will be back at the end of the week and will give the GPS a try and post up.
Yes, I have the VOICE II intercom with the rotary selector knob. I can cycle through all functions OK so I don't think mind is a knob/switch issue. I'm hoping it is just the system getting in a strange state. I'm out of town also which is why I haven't yet tried the "hard reset" fix. I will do that first this weekend before I do much else.

It just seems odd that some functions work (GPS voice and the intercom) and some don't (FM radio and iPod via the AUX input).

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
Battery disconnect trick did not work, tried that twice. I have a 2001, so my intercom (perhaps you have a newer, which would negate this whole discussion?) has a button inside the oddments box to switch between speakers and headset. It is a push-button toggle and does not feel like it engages very smartly, which is why I just thought that had failed. EDIT: I see you have a 2007, so I doubt we can share much info. Sorry - but I will still try to see what I can find out with my problem Friday.

I am currently out of town, will be back at the end of the week and will give the GPS a try and post up.
Well, I am happy to report that the "hard reset" work on my 07 LT. I disconnected the ground terminal when I got home this evening and hooked it back up after supper. Presto, the music is alive again in the helmets.

I may have to install a "radio reboot" switch somewhere so I don't have to remove the battery terminal every time this happens. Then again, this is the first time in 3 years and 19,000 miles that it has happened so if it stays at this frequency, it won't be too bad.

I think I read in the forum somewhere that the radio has two different power sources so it isn't trivial to totally cut the power short of unhooking the battery.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Well, I am happy to report that the "hard reset" work on my 07 LT. I disconnected the ground terminal when I got home this evening and hooked it back up after supper. Presto, the music is alive again in the helmets.

I may have to install a "radio reboot" switch somewhere so I don't have to remove the battery terminal every time this happens. Then again, this is the first time in 3 years and 19,000 miles that it has happened so if it stays at this frequency, it won't be too bad.

I think I read in the forum somewhere that the radio has two different power sources so it isn't trivial to totally cut the power short of unhooking the battery.

Well, less than a week after the hard reset, the radio has lost audio again to the headsets, but only the music, not the CB or GPS audio. This is bizarre and annoying. Is anyone aware of a permanent fix for this? Does this affect pretty much all BMW radios? This would rule out a replacement radio as a fix. I'm assuming this is a radio issue and not an intercom issue since the other devices still work fine through the intercom. Then again, the radio plays fine through the bike speakers so hard to say if it is a radio problem or an intercom problem.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: Radio plays through speakers but not headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Well, less than a week after the hard reset, the radio has lost audio again to the headsets, but only the music, not the CB or GPS audio. This is bizarre and annoying. Is anyone aware of a permanent fix for this? Does this affect pretty much all BMW radios? This would rule out a replacement radio as a fix. I'm assuming this is a radio issue and not an intercom issue since the other devices still work fine through the intercom. Then again, the radio plays fine through the bike speakers so hard to say if it is a radio problem or an intercom problem.
Well, I tried pulling the radio fuse (fuse #4, 7.5A, fuse box on the right side of the bike) and this corrected the problem again. No need to mess with unhooking the battery.

Still would like to know what the root cause is and whether it can be corrected. I think someone else mentioned that a weak battery might be the cause. I am beginning to think that is plausible as my battery is more than 3 years old and this first happened after 3 years and while on a trip where I couldn't plug in the battery maintainer at night. It may be that the battery voltage is dropping low enough overnight to cause problems, but the bike still starts smartly and the ABS hasn't complained about low voltage.

Still a mystery.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustrated with XM Radio Customer Service wcarter Satellite Radio 19 Jan 16th, 2019 10:24 am
Front Speakers And Radio Power Wire???? jslom K1200LT 10 Jun 23rd, 2010 11:58 am
Unusual Radio Issue on an '02 LTE ErnieA K1200LT 20 Feb 14th, 2009 11:12 am
Radio Shack Speakers?? Kenny K1200LT 8 Jun 8th, 2006 3:09 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome