Cardo Scala G4 limitations for riding 2 up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Cardo Scala G4 limitations for riding 2 up

I purchased the G4 2 pak from the dealer a few days ago and didn't realize some of the 2 up limitations of bluetooth till now. I paired my unit to our Zumo 550 which also has XM. I also paired my Blackberry to the Zumo. All of this works fine until you add the passenger into the loop. She would like to listen to the Zumo and the XM also but you cannot pair a second headset to the Zumo/XM. Ok, this I understand. Another limitation is that she and I cannot talk while I'm listening to the Zumo/XM. GPS has top priority over intercom calls and since XM in coming through the Zumo I hear nothing from the passenger. Something else doesn't seem to work correctly. The book shows that you can disconnect the phone call by hitting the mobile button, but when I do it nothing happens.

If I'm doing something wrong on the setup please someone chime in.

Thanks

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 10:26 am

Thumbs up Re: Cardo Scala G4 limitations for riding 2 up

Morning;

I had the same issue with the XM part on my 550. The rest of it I would not be able to help.
Go to chatterbox website and buy 2 of their BTD. They are Bluetooth Dongles that will change the signal to BT. Just buy a good splitter from Radioshack, plug it into the audio output jack, pair each one to its own headset and then you both can listen to the XM. The MP3, well you are out of luck, it will only transmit one signal..
We have the interphone F4 but should work the same. We just got back from a ride thru the BRP and I learned some tricks to make it work easier, but now its a piece of cake.
I can post a pic if you need one.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Re: Cardo Scala G4 limitations for riding 2 up

You know I was thinking of the bluetooth dongle idea but if what I looked was correct they are battery operated! I don't think I want to start messing with batteries, just something else I have to pack. The batteries on the headset is about as much as I want to mess with. Well it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this issue. I think I'm going to go with a wired setup. I just got to figure out which one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Morning;

I had the same issue with the XM part on my 550. The rest of it I would not be able to help.
Go to chatterbox website and buy 2 of their BTD. They are Bluetooth Dongles that will change the signal to BT. Just buy a good splitter from Radioshack, plug it into the audio output jack, pair each one to its own headset and then you both can listen to the XM. The MP3, well you are out of luck, it will only transmit one signal..
We have the interphone F4 but should work the same. We just got back from a ride thru the BRP and I learned some tricks to make it work easier, but now its a piece of cake.
I can post a pic if you need one.

Zeke

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Both my interphone and the dongle are rechargeable. I only have to recharge them once a week. But I had wired for years, its just nice not to have to unplug anything.
Good Luck.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 9:35 am

By the By, the zumo 550 is not stereo in bluetooth mode. The audio quality will never be great in Bluetooth mode......
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:56 am Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with Cardo and was told that if I had the Zumo 665 that it would work the way I want it to but because the Zumo 550 doesn't have a stereo bluetooth connection I would have to push buttons to make it work.

If I wanted the passenger to hear the music then I would have to push the "A" button to open a channel to her. When we would talk the music would only be muted to 50% and not totally. I can see this driving the both of us nuts, trying to talk and still hearing music and theirs now way to change this. Also as soon as the music ended I would have to push that "A" button to open a channel back to her. This isn't worth it and I'm not spending $950.00 on the Zumo 665 just to get the Cardo to work properly.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:36 am

Everybody thinks bluetooth is the hot ticket, well from the problems everyone is having I don't think it is all that spiffy.

Examples: When one turns off 1 device (zumo) and then does not turn off their cell phone, the 2 devices have problems pairing back up. They must be turned on and off at the same time to go into discover mode.

Example 2. Version 2.0 is supposed to be compatable with version 2.11-------not on your life, so many mfgs produce the bluetooth interface it is almost guaranteed that the 2 versions from different mfgs will not work seamlessly.

Example 3: Battery life and the bluetooth headset?

Example 4;, the vox on most of these systems is only up to the task behind a barn door windshield. If there is a lot of side wind or buffeting from your windshield it drives these systems crazy.

If you want to get really frustrated by a audio system : try bluetooth--------it will drive one crazy........... Kieth
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
Everybody thinks bluetooth is the hot ticket, well from the problems everyone is having I don't think it is all that spiffy.

Examples: When one turns off 1 device (zumo) and then does not turn off their cell phone, the 2 devices have problems pairing back up. They must be turned on and off at the same time to go into discover mode.

Example 2. Version 2.0 is supposed to be compatable with version 2.11-------not on your life, so many mfgs produce the bluetooth interface it is almost guaranteed that the 2 versions from different mfgs will not work seamlessly.

Example 4;, the vox on most of these systems is only up to the task behind a barn door windshield. If there is a lot of side wind or buffeting from your windshield it drives these systems crazy.

If you want to get really frustrated by a audio system : try bluetooth--------it will drive one crazy........... Kieth
Which system are you referring too?
#1 We just purchased the Interphone F4 and after very short learning curve took a 3k ride thru the BRP. With no issues, she had her BB paired and I paired my phone + a A2DP dongle for XM. They were on and off all different ways and never had to pair them again.
#2 I have the latest version so that one I cant answer
# 3 They are rechargeable, what battery
# 4 At 80mph most of the time she had no issues telling me to pull over for pee brake.LOL
She loved the idea of no more wires evertime she gets off the bike and would yank the plug out. We were wired for 6 years and 150k.
Its not perfect,but no wires, fine with me. I can live with it.
All this IMHO.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:13 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth

I would like to include my experience with the G4. I have it linked with the BMW Navigator IV (Nav IV) and a Nokia 3109 (via the Nav IV).

Once I had the bugs eliminated it is a very nice set up. I am having issues with the new software upgrade from Garmin but that is another issue.

Example 1 - The Nav IV will automatically connect to both the phone and G4, without having to constantly discover it. Using the latest "upgrade" it works best if the Nav IV is the last to be turned on. It does have issues in finding the G4 but this is the fault of the Nav IV and not the G4. (It worked fine before the new software was updated - I needed to update because I had a replacement Nav IV.)

Example 2 - I cannot comment for certain on this but The Nokia (which is not listed as Nav IV compatible) works with the Nav IV and G4. However please do not attempt to have the Phone paired to both GPS and intercom - it causes problems!

Example 3- Recently I had a little tour round Ardennes, Luxembourg and Saarbrücken area of Germany. As it was my first long distance tour I over estimated the distance we could cover. It meant for long days just riding, and not enough time to see some of the beautiful spots we went through. The G4 was able to last all day, with us chatting. So far I am impressed with the life of the battery.

Example 4 - I have tested the intercom to a speed of 120kmph (70-80 mph) and it gets difficult to hear, but that is due to the wind-noise. The noise cancellation is working fine (You need to almost swallow the microphone for it to be effective!)

We used to use an Autocom wired system, however given that Autocom is not really represented in Belgium, and the issues of listening to MP3 music via wires we opted for the Bluetooth option.

There are times I would have liked the wired system (it is a known and proven technology), but mainly I am very happy with the G4.

As has been said by Zeke, this is my opinion, and I recognise the right of others to have a different opinion!

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in