BMW Intercom (helmet to helmet) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

BMW Intercom (helmet to helmet)

I have an 09 K1200LT with the VOICE II Communication system. I also purchased the BMW CB (only for the extra warranty) as well as the BMW Nav IV (again, only for the extended warranty).
I have since replaced the Nav IV with the Garmin 665 because of software issues with the Nav IV that Garmin has not yet fixed and was told it may not get resolved.

To make a long story short, everything works great except for the intercom from rider to passenger. Sometimes my wife can hear me and sometimes she can't. Seems to work fine when we are stopped or at very low speeds. I have tried setting the mic sensitivity at different levels but nothing seems to work. I am beginning to think BMW is not very well versed in the electronics part like say Honda.

I am thinking about taking out the VOICE II system and replacing it with the J&M system as I have seen theirs and it works great and you don't have to make any adjustments as it does it all automatically for you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

PS: Does anyone have the BMW radio instructions as I don't seem to have it in all my paperwork and manuels that my dealer gave me.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"03" GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Re: BMW Intercom (helmet to helmet)

Gary,

My wife and I just bought one of the last remaining new 2009 LTs and it also has the BMW VOICE II Communication System. After a lot of research, and finding that we could not have the best of both worlds (bluetooth intercom between our bikes and the BMW comm system when riding 2 up), we ordered new Shoei Multitek helmets with J&M 584 Elite headsets through Sierra Electronics.... they did a great job installing the headsets (clampless installation).

However, we found that even after reducing the intercom sensitivity to its lowest setting, the wind still activates the intercom system at speeds higher than 40 mph. Seems that the problem on our end is the wind sock. After talking to Sierra Electronics this morning, we will be trying a fix they recommend that is removing the windsock from the microphones, wrapping the microphone with surgical gauze, and reinstalling the windsock.

We had no problem hearing each other, but rather the system would not fade back to radio from intercom..... Seems they still have a bit more engineering to do to get all the functionality and features we need.

Similar to your question about owners manual, the only manual missing on our LT was the communications system. I found a copy on the internet and printed same, but am hoping to find the bound booklet that should have come with the bike. Does anyone know how to contact BMW directly for such? The customer relations folks at BMW of North America said they could not help... referring us back to our dealer. The dealer did not have the book to begin with.

Hmmmm......

Larry
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 7:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: BMW Intercom (helmet to helmet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry370
Gary,

My wife and I just bought one of the last remaining new 2009 LTs and it also has the BMW VOICE II Communication System. After a lot of research, and finding that we could not have the best of both worlds (bluetooth intercom between our bikes and the BMW comm system when riding 2 up), we ordered new Shoei Multitek helmets with J&M 584 Elite headsets through Sierra Electronics.... they did a great job installing the headsets (clampless installation).

However, we found that even after reducing the intercom sensitivity to its lowest setting, the wind still activates the intercom system at speeds higher than 40 mph. Seems that the problem on our end is the wind sock. After talking to Sierra Electronics this morning, we will be trying a fix they recommend that is removing the windsock from the microphones, wrapping the microphone with surgical gauze, and reinstalling the windsock.

We had no problem hearing each other, but rather the system would not fade back to radio from intercom..... Seems they still have a bit more engineering to do to get all the functionality and features we need.

Similar to your question about owners manual, the only manual missing on our LT was the communications system. I found a copy on the internet and printed same, but am hoping to find the bound booklet that should have come with the bike. Does anyone know how to contact BMW directly for such? The customer relations folks at BMW of North America said they could not help... referring us back to our dealer. The dealer did not have the book to begin with.

Hmmmm......

Larry
Same with my 2007 - no manual. I found one online and use that. I am guessing they made more radios than they printed manuals and the manuals ran out first. Certainly not worth them printing another batch most likely since the LT was being discontinued and I suspect the VOICE II along with it. Still no excuse for not providing a manual!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in