PTT button - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:08 am Thread Starter

PTT button

Managed to purchase used head sets and leads from ebay but need the ptt button for the phone . Question , is fitting a new ptt button from bmw a easy job .

regards numbnuts .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:05 am

Re: PTT button

How about a pic of the button/wiring...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Hane,nt got it yet as dealer has got to get it from the fatherland . I have found 2 wires under the l/h handlebar cover so i presume the button wires connect to them .
regards numbnuts .

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 6:55 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
Hane,nt got it yet as dealer has got to get it from the fatherland . I have found 2 wires under the l/h handlebar cover so i presume the button wires connect to them .
regards numbnuts .
For my '03 comsystem (BC3) the lead for the ptt was under the stingray. If I recall correctly, it was a standard 6/8 pin connection, simular to the audio cords. the read however was a simple blade type connector. I thing on the newer models, they changed the connection, but If you are getting it from the stealer, it should be plug and play.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
regards numbnuts .
Yes, these are the right leads. However, even though I bought my PTT from the dealer (Chicago BMW), it wasn't quite plug-n-play as the blades on the wires were about 1/8" wide and the PTT had 1/4" terminals. So, I cut off the stock connectors on the wires and crimped on some 1/4" terminals and plugged them onto the switch. Not too big a deal, but not plug and play. Obviously, BMW changed the PTT switch at some point to one that uses wider terminals.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 2:51 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Yes, these are the right leads. However, even though I bought my PTT from the dealer (Chicago BMW), it wasn't quite plug-n-play as the blades on the wires were about 1/8" wide and the PTT had 1/4" terminals. So, I cut off the stock connectors on the wires and crimped on some 1/4" terminals and plugged them onto the switch. Not too big a deal, but not plug and play. Obviously, BMW changed the PTT switch at some point to one that uses wider terminals.
Yes and no...Keep in mind that there are three different connection points. Two are usually under the HB covers and one under the stingray, if it has not been run to the bars. PTT, GPS and AAWD (Radar) You are going to have to post what comsystem you have or better yet update your profile signature to show it so we dont have to guess!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 4:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Yes and no...Keep in mind that there are three different connection points. Two are usually under the HB covers and one under the stingray, if it has not been run to the bars. PTT, GPS and AAWD (Radar) You are going to have to post what comsystem you have or better yet update your profile signature to show it so we dont have to guess!
OK, I added a little more detail to my sig.

I was talking about the connection points at the left handlebar as my LT was prewired for both the CB and the GPS. However, the flat blade-style connectors on the wire taped to the handlebar were only about half the size of the corresponding male blades on the BMW PTT switch. I have pictures if anyone wants to see the difference.l

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in