CB continuously mutes the FM radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 29th, 2010, 10:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

CB continuously mutes the FM radio

I just completed installation of a Nav III and CB on my 2007 LT with VOICE II. I have the transmit squeal that others have widely reported and I have checked the antenna ground and mine has a good ground as it came with the extra ground wires and the base was also nice and shiny with no paint or powder coat as it arrived from the factory. I will probably try next bypassing the power relay as Lynn did to solve his problem.

However, I have a problem that I haven't yet come across in my searches. Namely, as soon as I turn on the CB, even with the squelch high enough to kill all static and with nothing being received, the FM radio is instally and permanently muted. The FM radio will not play music with the CB turned on. As soon as I turn off the CB, the radio will play music again after the normal 4 second or so period has expired. Anyone seen this? Any ideas how to troubleshoot it?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 31st, 2010, 10:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: CB continuously mutes the FM radio

My FM radio mutes whenever someone is transmitting to me or when I push the PTT button to transmit to someone else. The problem could be related to the PTT button.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 10 Old May 31st, 2010, 10:25 am

If you are using rhe BMW push to talk button it could be wired in the momentary off mode. Try pushing and holding down the button. If, after the delay, the radio comes back on then you just need to switch the wires to the momentary off lugs on the switch itself.

post #4 of 10 Old May 31st, 2010, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
If you are using rhe BMW push to talk button it could be wired in the momentary off mode. Try pushing and holding down the button. If, after the delay, the radio comes back on then you just need to switch the wires to the momentary off lugs on the switch itself.
I checked both PTT switches (they are wired together at the left handlebar) with my VOM and they are both momentary contact switches. Pushing them in closes the contacts and releasing them opens the contacts. The switches have only one set of lugs, so there is not another set to connect to in any event.

This is verified also on the CB as it goes into TX mode as it should when the PTT is pressed and then comes out of TX mode instantly upon button release.

So, I don't think it is the PTT. I suspect something else, but am not sure what else to check. The FM radio goes off instantly when the CB is turned on, even though it isn't receiving anything (it says BUSY when it is receiving a transmission) and I have the squelched turned way up so that no static is heard.

This is a stange one, but then I think BMW CBs are possessed. :-)

When I first installed the unit and tried it out a couple of days ago, I got a nasty squeal when I hit the PTT to transmit. This has been reported by many others on the forum so I wasn't too surprised. However, I went out today and took a ride so I could get near a major road and try to hear some CB traffic from the trucks and no squeal! I didn't do anything different to the radio, but I did have the attery tender on for the last 20 hours or so. I wonder if a low battery could cause the squeal? It wasn't that low as the bike still started and ran fine and I had no issues with the ABS and I understand it is sensitive to low voltage.

I am able to hear the weather channel transmissions quite well and did hear some CB traffic from some construction vehicles (on channels other than 19), but didn't hear much on 19. I tried a couple of test transmissions, but got no response so I am not sure I am getting out much. But there was no squeal when I "keyed the mic" today.

Being a holiday, there aren't many trucks out. I went to a local station that sells diesel and caters to trucks (but it isn't really a truck stop per se) hoping to find a friendly trucker who would listen and see if he could here me transmit, but there wasn't a truck to be found today. I need to find another CB that I can test against.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:49 pm

I had a similar problem with my '06. I found a solution by adjusting the knob on the top of the CB labeled "AUX VOLUME". I don't remember if it needs to be turned all the clockwise or all the way counter clockwise but it did have to be all the way one side or another. I have no idea why this worked or what it does but it cured the muting.

Good luck,

2006 K1200LT - found a new owner

2008 R1200GS for sale

2008 R1200GS-Adventure - fun with 8.7 gallons of gas
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by novkids
I had a similar problem with my '06. I found a solution by adjusting the knob on the top of the CB labeled "AUX VOLUME". I don't remember if it needs to be turned all the clockwise or all the way counter clockwise but it did have to be all the way one side or another. I have no idea why this worked or what it does but it cured the muting.

Good luck,
I was wondering about that. When I first turned on the radio, I heard this fairly loud clicking sound in my headset. It turned out, it was from that auxiliary input and I turned the volume all the way down (I forget also which way it went, but I believe the side of the wheel facing the rider had to be thumbed to the left), However, even with it all the way down, the FM still stays muted when the CB is on. I am wondering if it is still picking up enough noise to trigger the automatic fade on the music. The EE in my hates to see any connector left unterminated, but I don't know the pin-out of that 3 pin connector so I am afraid to just short the terminals. It would probably be safe to out some 100 ohm resistors across those terminals, but I hate to mess with something for which I have no schematics or at least pinouts.

Another question for you: Did your radio have two ground wires? One large one which I assume is the main power ground and then another small one with a ring terminal that is intended to run to the FM radio chassis? If your radio had two, did you run the one to the FM chassis and, if so, what did you connect it to? I did not see a screw on the chassis and I didn't want to put a screw through a vent hold in the chassis and risk shorting something inside the FM radio. So I ran it to the battery instead, but am now wondering if this is allowing enough difference in potental between the CB and the FM radio/intercom that it is activating the the automatic mute function.

If I can't find anything else, I will have to tear into it again and try harder to find a way to attach that ground wire to the FM radio chassis. The weird part is I have two sets of instructions for the CB, one with a 2006 copyright and one with 2007 and one schematic shows this extra ground wire and the other does not. So, apparently it was added sometime in the 2006/2007 time frame.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:21 pm

The dealer installed my CB so I have no idea of the inner workings of it all. I discovered the AUX VOLUME thing on a long boring ride wishing I had some music.

2006 K1200LT - found a new owner

2008 R1200GS for sale

2008 R1200GS-Adventure - fun with 8.7 gallons of gas
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by novkids

Good luck,
Well, I think I wrote too soon last night saying I'd tried this. I decided to experiment a little more rigorously on my ride to work this morning and here is what I found. I can't explain it, but this is what I am seeing. I would be curious if you have a minute to see if yours performs more or less the same. The main difference I found compared with what you wrote above is that the control doesn't have to be at one stop in order for the music to come on, it just has to NOT be at or very near the clockwise stop.

If I turn my aux volume control all the way clockwise (as viewed from above), this quiets the noise in the helmet speakers, but also kills the using permanently. I found today that if I turn it just a couple of "teeth" counterclockwise, just to the point that I faintly hear the noise in the helmet speakers, the music will come back on (after the 4 second wait, of course). I had turned it all the way clockwise as that killed the noise in my helmet so I thought that was goodness. Turns out, not so!

I decided tonight that I would go from stop to stop on that control one "tooth" at a time on the dial and see what happened. About the second or third time I turned the dial one tooth counterclockwise, the music magically came on! I kept going (fortunately I have a 30 minute commute!) the rest of the way home and the radio stayed on all the way until I hit the counterclockwise stop. This does cause more background noise when the CB mutes the music, but the odd part is that once the music comes on the background noise seems to largely disappear. I only hear that when the music is muted and nothing much is coming in over the CB. So, it appears I can set this aux control a couple of teeth off the clockwise stop and minimize the background noise yet not mute the music.

Installing and learning to use this CB has been an adventure, but it is slowly getting better all the time. I just now need to find a willing partner to use for some transmission testing. I am concerned about this as I heard several truckers tonight talking about a police road check (and heard them quite clearly), but when I transmitted to a couple of them I got no reply at all. So, I may still have a transmit mode problem to work on and I am getting a lot of background noise from the engine. I suspect that this is due to taking a couple of short-cuts and not following the installation schematic precisely. I did this intentionallhy and with the full understanding that I was taking a risk.

I will now go back and undo my shortcuts one at a time so I can see the impact of each.

1. First up is to remove the stingray again and connect the small ground wire to the FM radio chassis per the schematic. This one is a pain, but I suspect may give the most reduction in noise.

2. Depending on the results of that, my next step will be to move the main ground wire from my Fuzeblock unit to the "-" battery terminal.

3. Depending on that result, my next step will be to move the power relay supply wire from the Fuzebock to the + battery terminal. At this point, I will be in precise conformance to the schematic in the instructions.

4. Lastly, if I am still not satisfied with the noise immunity, I will get a few clamp-on ferrite cores such as those sold by Radio Shack and place them on the power feed line as close to the radio as I can get them. I believe it was Lynn Keen who said he was able to fit his under the handlebar cover which would be ideal placement from an electrical perspective. I will also place a core on the PTT cable as close to the intercom as I can get it. The PTT wire is a pretty long "antenna" so I would not be surprised if it is carrying noise into the intercom

5. The final step, if the transmit power is feeble, will be to try a Firestik NGP antenna and cable. I don't relish trying to manage the 17' or so of cable that this antenna requires, but I think I can fit it in the space between the seat and the trunk since I have my trunk in the rear-most mounting position.

Stay tuned as the saga continues.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I believe it was Lynn Keen who said he was able to fit his under the handlebar cover which would be ideal placement from an electrical perspective. I will also place a core on the PTT cable as close to the intercom as I can get it. The PTT wire is a pretty long "antenna" so I would not be surprised if it is carrying noise into the intercom

5. The final step, if the transmit power is feeble, will be to try a Firestik NGP antenna and cable. I don't relish trying to manage the 17' or so of cable that this antenna requires, but I think I can fit it in the space between the seat and the trunk since I have my trunk in the rear-most mounting position.

Stay tuned as the saga continues.
Glad to hear your making progress with the infamous CB. Just wanted to make a correction to the above. did'n say inside the under the handle bar cover. Don't think they will fit. I installed them under the front fairing as close to the radio module as I could get without interfering with the movement of the front forks. Also, I'm using the FIRESTIK antenna mounted to a home made bracket. works pretty well.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #10 of 10 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 9:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Glad to hear your making progress with the infamous CB. Just wanted to make a correction to the above. did'n say inside the under the handle bar cover. Don't think they will fit. I installed them under the front fairing as close to the radio module as I could get without interfering with the movement of the front forks. Also, I'm using the FIRESTIK antenna mounted to a home made bracket. works pretty well.
Lynn,

Sorry to misquote what you said! I was wondering how you fit them under the covers, but I figured if you could do it I was going to give it a try!! :-)

Yes, I am making progress. I took the weekly Thursday night ride with a small group from a local church and got to try out the CB transmission. At first they could hear my carrier, but no voice. A quick check found that I had not turned on the intercom. Once that little change was made, I was transmitting pretty well.

I had to use lo power as high was too much in close proximity. Also, I am getting some squeal on high, but the others didn't hear it nearly as much as me.

The good news is that the system is at least passably functional and now I will start down the list I posted last night and start doing the things that you and others did before me.

So far I am pretty optimistic that this CB can be made to work pretty well when installed precisely according to the instructions (as feeble as they are). Even with the shortcuts I took, my CB works reasonably well within a mile or so, but doesn't have the range that my past truck mounted CBs have had. I generally could get at least 3 miles out of them, but then I had far more than the minimum recommended ground plane area of 9 square feet.

Now I just have to get the energy to have another tupperware party...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in