2000LT BC1 woes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:44 am Thread Starter

2000LT BC1 woes

Hi all. Last month I bought a "new to me" 2000LT with the BC1 unit. I just purchased two Dual Mode J&M headsets with the 6 pin P series lower cord, and installed them in our helmets. When I plug in the drivers headset, the radio, CD, or whatever, plays through both left and right speakers, but the sound quality is horrible. Both speakers hiss and pop. When I also plug in the passenger headset, the radio only plays through the left speaker of both helmets. This is also true for the intercom system, it only comes through the left side speakers. If I unplug either one of the headsets and then plug it back in (while the key and radio are on), the radio plays through both left and right speakers on both helmets for a brief period, about 30 seconds, then the right side fades out and will occasionally pop or hiss. I have searched thru all 40 some pages of the intercom forums and from what I have read, the only advice relevant to this issue was to clean and add some electrical grease to the intercom connections located under the left side Tupperware. I will do this as soon as possible, but while this may correct the poor sound quality, I am not certain how it will have any effect on the right side speaker cutting out. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any advice?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 8:50 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: 2000LT BC1 woes

I also have a 2000 LT with the BC1. I have had the same troubles plus some others.
First does the radio play properly threw the bikes speakers?
If not then the radio is most likely bad.
I had to replace mine with a "NEW TO ME" used one I found online.
After that my BMW Comm unit started failing as you described so I replaced it with an Autocom & now have NO troubles.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 9:26 am

Unfortunately, the BC1 was always a trouble plagued unit. There was a BCII, but it was little better. BMW abandoned it in 2002 if I remember correctly, and the manufacturer of the unit went out of business. Once one gets to the point you cannot get it to work properly, replacement with something else is about the only way to gain full functionality.

BMW did not make it, and dealers can usually do nothing with it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

The radio plays great through the bike speakers. I removed the left side fairing and gained access to the intercom wires coming directly from the BC1 unit. I plugged into them and had the same result. I thought (or hoped!!) that maybe the pins had corroded and weren't making a good connection, but this was not the case. I guess the BC1 is the root of the problem. So Katnapinn, were you able to hook the autocomm unit to all the original equipment, like the BMW radio, CB unit. Also, where did you mount it?

Thanks again for your help.
post #5 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 7:19 pm

The Autocom was a complete new set up with new headsets. I just left the old comm unit in place & hooked up the Autocom to the rear speakers of the bike =. Then I ran the new hookups to my radar unit & cel phone hook up. I place I bought mine from no longer sell Autocom but you can find new units on Ebay all the time

HERES ONE

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 7:47 pm

When I installed the Autocom system on ole Toad, several of us go together and used Jim Beard's tutorial - worked great. Not sure if Autocom units have changed since then, but at least Jim's webpage gives you one method.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/jfbeard...om/autocom.htm

Got this outta the HoW pages, btw.
post #7 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
When I installed the Autocom system on ole Toad, several of us go together and used Jim Beard's tutorial - worked great. Not sure if Autocom units have changed since then, but at least Jim's webpage gives you one method.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/jfbeard...om/autocom.htm

Got this outta the HoW pages, btw.
Yep that be the one I used too.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 8 Old May 24th, 2010, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.
I did a bit of research on the Autocom units and they seem to work quite well and are a fairly simple install. I like the way they hook up to the rear speakers and and really like that some units have the on/off switch for the external speakers. I wonder if anyone has installed one and spliced the headset output to the original BMW outlets. Some of the Autocoms have a 5 pin outlet and I think some have a 7 pin outlet, Is a splice even possible?. What would be really nice is if there were a conversion cord. It would be worth the cost to me if one exists. I just spent a pretty penny to have J&M headsets custom installed in our helmets and would really like to use them if possible. Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in