BMW+BMW+Iphone = A Laughing matter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2010, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

BMW+BMW+Iphone = A Laughing matter

Simply amazing....09LT with the Auto-com and the BMW GPS from the factory... works great. Hear everything through wired J&M's in the helmet. Now if you want to get a full tank of frustration...try and make your iPhone work. I have been to three BMW dealers here in the Midwest and even called BMW USA. The dealers look like this BMW USA calls you back after two weeks and confirms you still have a problem...WHAT A BUNCH OF SNAPWEEDS!!! I guess BMW USA figures it went away or they are just calling to see if I died so they could close the trouble report. The owners manual has a full page dedicated to making the phone work I think I should take the bike back and ask for a refund...think they will do that with 23K on it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 7:07 am

Re: BMW+BMW+Iphone = A Laughing matter

Not that I am expert on iPhones but just yesterday met a buddy of mine who also got fed up with iPhone not working properly with Autocom + Starcom bluetooth on his LT. He bought the simplest and cheapest Blueteooth Nokia (with separate SIM card) for his bike phone and simply transfers his iPhone calls to this bike cell phone when on the road.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Not a bad idea. Prepaid would work!

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
... He bought the simplest and cheapest Blueteooth Nokia (with separate SIM card) for his bike phone and simply transfers his iPhone calls to this bike cell phone when on the road..
There is a reason iPhone is consistently reviewed as a poor phone (even if an excellent entertainment platform).

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:20 pm

The "buddy" Ari referred to here - hello! Complicated topic. You did not tell what is the device you are trying to pair your iPhone with? BMW-GPS or AutoCom + some BT-hub. I do assume BMW-GPS?

I would not call it iPhone-problem if it does not pair or work with BMW-GPS. It is a problem in the combination of BMW-GPS & iPhone. The "Great One" up there knows world being full of BlueTooth pairing challenges & related stories.

I did not have problem with iPhone not being able to pair/work with the AutoCom+Starcom(BT-module). I did not like the iPhone functionality which does not include automated answering. You have to accept the incoming call by tapping the screen, squeezing the external ear-plug switch or other available method to activate the answering to the incoming call.

That is why I solved the problem with work around around described: Very simple & cheap (at least here in Finland) solution is to purchase cheapest Nokia with Bluetooth. This phone is more or less permanently installed in my LT. It is configured to "auto-answer incoming calls". When I am out there with the LT I do forward all calls to this phone/number. The prepaid SIM-card works great.

[And now to the religious part]
iPhone even in the bike use is great peace of engineering! I do use it as MP3-player, it runs TomTom navigator-software / maps if I am too lazy to take my TomTom Rider with me on the ride.

Even if being a Finn and proud of Nokia, our "national mobile phone maker", I do refuse using one outside bike-use.
[/And now to the religious part]

Born to be wild so why not

Last edited by C-A-D; Apr 20th, 2010 at 12:21 pm. Reason: typo...
post #6 of 8 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:49 am Thread Starter

My local BMW dealer came through for me...these guys are great. Auto-com part # 2187 did allowed the phone to function. The i phone however cannot be place in the auto-answer mode. Someday Apple will add this feature. The i phone touch screen will not work when you have gloves on

So I decided to put a prepaid phone on the bike. Looks like the folks at Platinum Tel https://www.platinumtel.com/phones have a phone that will work. The Sanyo 9000. For under $100 I should be in great shape. Platinum Tel uses the Sprint network...not bad and the 9000 has the auto answer capabilities. I may need to search for another cable. I am sure my local BMW shop will find the right cable for me.
post #7 of 8 Old May 5th, 2010, 1:54 pm

I think it's more of a constantly evolving electronics, phone, radar detector, GPS, intercom industry.
It must be difficult to design, produce, and integrate all of these "toys" from different companies for simultaneous use on a ten year old motorcycle platform with 2 factory comm systems and 3 aftermarket ones.
Hard wired, Bluetooth, everyone has various accessories.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 8 Old May 5th, 2010, 3:04 pm

The problem is the bmw gps and its bluetooth connection, we just cannot get it to work and stay paired. On other garmin products the inter face between the iphone and the 550, 660, 665 works fine. Word to the wise do not buy the bmw nav system for a while it costs too much , and does not work. buy a 550 zumo for proven performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in