Help with Autocom alternator noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:59 am Thread Starter

Help with Autocom alternator noise

I need help. I'm ready to give up. I recently bought a new (to me) 2007 1200 Adventure and moved my ham radio set up from my old 2004 1150GS and its never been the same.

First, let me back up and describe what I am doing. I have an Autocom and use it to run a 2 meter ham radio. I use the radio to talk on a local repeater, meaning I talk to a lot of people while commuting. My signal gets out to a pretty wide area. Its not bike to bike, but rather bike to anybody with a 2 meter ham radio. For those who don't know, this is very similar to a GMRS radio, but on different frequencies and with lots of repeaters.

When I had this system on my 1150, I had a distinct and constant alternator whine that came through my headset. Even if the radio was off, I could hear it so it was coming through the Autocom and not the ham radio. The Autocom was wired to the battery through the tail light. The alternator whine was not audible on my transmit. Others could not hear it. I also had the charging cord for the hand-talkie (HT) wired directly to the battery. When that was plugged in, others could hear the alternator whine so I often unplugged that and ran off the internal HT battery.

When I got the 1200, I got a Centech fuse block. I had somebody who knew what they were doing install everything. The power cords are all short and I put ferrite beads on everything. At first, every cord was run under the fuel tank. The output was horrible. The alternator whine makes my signal almost unreadable. I went back and moved all the cords to the outside of the gas tank and away from the alternator. That didn't help.

I'm at a loss. The alternator whine seems to be coming through the battery and into the Centech block where it gets into the Autocom and finally into my transmit audio.

Even though I am an Extra class ham operator, I really am not very skilled at dealing with electronics. I drew up a flow chart to show what is connected where and I hope it makes sense. I know its not a schematic but its as good as I can do.

I need help. Even if that help just gives me the description of what I tell a technician who can do something to the bike, it will help a lot. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Help with Autocom alternator noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109
I need help. I'm ready to give up. I recently bought a new (to me) 2007 1200 Adventure and moved my ham radio set up from my old 2004 1150GS and its never been the same.

First, let me back up and describe what I am doing. I have an Autocom and use it to run a 2 meter ham radio. I use the radio to talk on a local repeater, meaning I talk to a lot of people while commuting. My signal gets out to a pretty wide area. Its not bike to bike, but rather bike to anybody with a 2 meter ham radio. For those who don't know, this is very similar to a GMRS radio, but on different frequencies and with lots of repeaters.

When I had this system on my 1150, I had a distinct and constant alternator whine that came through my headset. Even if the radio was off, I could hear it so it was coming through the Autocom and not the ham radio. The Autocom was wired to the battery through the tail light. The alternator whine was not audible on my transmit. Others could not hear it. I also had the charging cord for the hand-talkie (HT) wired directly to the battery. When that was plugged in, others could hear the alternator whine so I often unplugged that and ran off the internal HT battery.

When I got the 1200, I got a Centech fuse block. I had somebody who knew what they were doing install everything. The power cords are all short and I put ferrite beads on everything. At first, every cord was run under the fuel tank. The output was horrible. The alternator whine makes my signal almost unreadable. I went back and moved all the cords to the outside of the gas tank and away from the alternator. That didn't help.

I'm at a loss. The alternator whine seems to be coming through the battery and into the Centech block where it gets into the Autocom and finally into my transmit audio.

Even though I am an Extra class ham operator, I really am not very skilled at dealing with electronics. I drew up a flow chart to show what is connected where and I hope it makes sense. I know its not a schematic but its as good as I can do.

I need help. Even if that help just gives me the description of what I tell a technician who can do something to the bike, it will help a lot. Thanks.

Steve,
I run a similar set up but use the Handi-Talkie batteries. Quiet as a sleeping babe!
Have a friend that just installed an new Yausu unit powered from the bike's battery and he worked some to get it quiet. I'll check with him.

Paul
N8QZ

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Apr 14th, 2010 at 3:05 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Re: Help with Autocom alternator noise

Do you have ferrite on the wire between the Autocom and your radio? I remember speaking to Autocom about setting up a PDA based GPS and they mentioned that 2 bike powered systems connected together can cause interference.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in