I have the K1200LT-specific Baehr intercom on my '05 LT. It works fine - excellent sound quality, flexible, configurable, and expandable, but I'm looking to get into BlueTooth. I also have a Zumo 550 GPS and a BlackBerry Storm 2 cell phone.
There have been some recent discussions along these lines, including Rob's comments on his Cardo Scala G4, and a new thread discussing CB on the LT. Looking at the Scala units at a nearby m/c superstore yesterday I was "this close" to getting a Scala G4, but I don't want to ditch my Baehr until I have something in hand that does everything it does, including maintaining the LT's factory audio system controls.
What I'd like to know is: Is there one system - anywhere, at any reasonable price - that will do everything
? My definition of "everything" is:
1. Wireless intercom between rider and passenger.
2. Bike-to-bike communications. Preferably VOX, but traditional PTT is OK. (I'm thinking FRS/GMRS over CB, for its superior sound quality.) If PTT, the PTT button should be mounted on the left handlebar, not on a radio mounted somewhere that requires removing the hand from the handlebar; however, this is not a deal-breaker.
3. Wireless reception of GPS spoken directions.
4. Wireless reception of cell phone calls. Making an outgoing call is not important for me, but if it's there I'd use it. Carefully.
5. Wireless listening to music from an MP3 player or cell phone, AND the LT's audio system. Yes, I listen to AM and FM radio!
6. Maintaining the LT's audio controls.
7. A proven product, well-made, with good sound quality and good post-sales support.
My second choice of "ultimate comm system" would be the same list as above, but with cables to helmets for intercom and all other audio devices on the bike. In this instance, the only wireless application would be bike-to-bike, of course.
If this ultimate system doesn't exist, then is there a way to add good bike-to-bike (FRS/GMRS or other technology) to a Baehr-equipped LT? The Baehr comes close to doing everything I want right now, except B2B. I do have the Icom GMRS radio but I've never been able to make it work, and I don't have a way to mount it. The few times I rode with it I stuck it in the tank bag and I've never been happy with the separate PTT button I have.
As a side note, I will say that again today I contacted Sierra Eletronics (Troy, OH). For the third time in 4 years they told me how easy it was to add a CB or other stuff to a Gold Wing (my friend rides a GL1800 and he and I want to get B2B going), but when I mention my LT their tone changes and they get... short. Regarding a CB, they claim "it can't be done" on an LT without losing the LT's audio system as an input. At least, that's what I think they were telling me. I'm not an idiot but these guys make me feel like one because all they can say is "nope, can't be done" and they don't want to take a few moments to help me understand. So, I'll send my friend their way and for $855+tax he can ride away with a Honda-brand CB installed in his top case (nice move, Honda), antenna, etc. They apparently don't want my money.
(the guys who make soft luggage) seem to do a good job of integrating everything. I have a call in to them. I have their previous-generation In-Charge tank bag, which has all the cables from the Baehr, cell, GPS, etc.