In Search of the Ultimate Comm System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

In Search of the Ultimate Comm System

I have the K1200LT-specific Baehr intercom on my '05 LT. It works fine - excellent sound quality, flexible, configurable, and expandable, but I'm looking to get into BlueTooth. I also have a Zumo 550 GPS and a BlackBerry Storm 2 cell phone.

There have been some recent discussions along these lines, including Rob's comments on his Cardo Scala G4, and a new thread discussing CB on the LT. Looking at the Scala units at a nearby m/c superstore yesterday I was "this close" to getting a Scala G4, but I don't want to ditch my Baehr until I have something in hand that does everything it does, including maintaining the LT's factory audio system controls.

What I'd like to know is: Is there one system - anywhere, at any reasonable price - that will do everything? My definition of "everything" is:

1. Wireless intercom between rider and passenger.
2. Bike-to-bike communications. Preferably VOX, but traditional PTT is OK. (I'm thinking FRS/GMRS over CB, for its superior sound quality.) If PTT, the PTT button should be mounted on the left handlebar, not on a radio mounted somewhere that requires removing the hand from the handlebar; however, this is not a deal-breaker.
3. Wireless reception of GPS spoken directions.
4. Wireless reception of cell phone calls. Making an outgoing call is not important for me, but if it's there I'd use it. Carefully.
5. Wireless listening to music from an MP3 player or cell phone, AND the LT's audio system. Yes, I listen to AM and FM radio!
6. Maintaining the LT's audio controls.
7. A proven product, well-made, with good sound quality and good post-sales support.

My second choice of "ultimate comm system" would be the same list as above, but with cables to helmets for intercom and all other audio devices on the bike. In this instance, the only wireless application would be bike-to-bike, of course.

If this ultimate system doesn't exist, then is there a way to add good bike-to-bike (FRS/GMRS or other technology) to a Baehr-equipped LT? The Baehr comes close to doing everything I want right now, except B2B. I do have the Icom GMRS radio but I've never been able to make it work, and I don't have a way to mount it. The few times I rode with it I stuck it in the tank bag and I've never been happy with the separate PTT button I have.

As a side note, I will say that again today I contacted Sierra Eletronics (Troy, OH). For the third time in 4 years they told me how easy it was to add a CB or other stuff to a Gold Wing (my friend rides a GL1800 and he and I want to get B2B going), but when I mention my LT their tone changes and they get... short. Regarding a CB, they claim "it can't be done" on an LT without losing the LT's audio system as an input. At least, that's what I think they were telling me. I'm not an idiot but these guys make me feel like one because all they can say is "nope, can't be done" and they don't want to take a few moments to help me understand. So, I'll send my friend their way and for $855+tax he can ride away with a Honda-brand CB installed in his top case (nice move, Honda), antenna, etc. They apparently don't want my money.

<edit>
RKA (the guys who make soft luggage) seem to do a good job of integrating everything. I have a call in to them. I have their previous-generation In-Charge tank bag, which has all the cables from the Baehr, cell, GPS, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:51 pm. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Re: In Search of the Ultimate Comm System

Hi Howard. I too have a 2005 k1200lt. I purchased it used and it came with a Baehr system model SGS-09-05. It did not come with the helmet pieces or the owners manual, so it is pretty much useless with just the head and cables that are attached to the head.

If your system matches this, I would be interested in buying yours when you get a new system.

Please let me know what you think.

Dave Van Houten
post #3 of 32 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:55 pm

The ultimate comm system does exist. I sell it.

http://www.cohesivetechnology.com.

post #4 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
What I'd like to know is: Is there one system - anywhere, at any reasonable price - that will do everything?
That seems to be the catch, for now. We'll compare notes at STC.
post #5 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvanho
Hi Howard. I too have a 2005 k1200lt. I purchased it used and it came with a Baehr system model SGS-09-05. It did not come with the helmet pieces or the owners manual, so it is pretty much useless with just the head and cables that are attached to the head.

If your system matches this, I would be interested in buying yours when you get a new system.

Please let me know what you think.

Dave Van Houten
Dave, if I understand this correctly all you need is the helmet headsets, correct? As much as I may (in the future) like to sell you my Baehr, you already have the most important component. I have an owner's manual for the SGS-09-04 (not -05 as you specifiy); it's attached to this post. Does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Baehr_userguide.pdf (325.8 KB, 513 views)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
The ultimate comm system does exist. I sell it.

http://www.cohesivetechnology.com.
Then we need to talk. Please email me and we'll get that conversation started. I took a quick look at your site but I have the usual list of questions.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
That seems to be the catch, for now. We'll compare notes at STC.
If I can get everything on my list price is the last concern. That said, I'm sure there is a point at which I'd say "that's too much!", but I don't know where that is.

I saw your post on the BlueBike product. Yes, let's talk about this at STC. Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 7:14 am

Quote:
Then we need to talk
Absolutely. I am in Chicago today; back tonight. How about tomorrow morning?

[email protected]

DJF
post #9 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
Absolutely. I am in Chicago today; back tonight. How about tomorrow morning?

[email protected]

DJF
I'll be on the road all day tomorrow (on the LT, en route to North Carolina). You're welcome to call and leave a voice message, with a number where I can call you back. IIRC we don't have a steady cell signal at the Iron Horse Lodge, but I'll call you back when i can, or Monday at the latest.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #10 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Dave, if I understand this correctly all you need is the helmet headsets, correct? As much as I may (in the future) like to sell you my Baehr, you already have the most important component. I have an owner's manual for the SGS-09-04 (not -05 as you specifiy); it's attached to this post. Does this help?
Hi Howard. Yes the instructions help. Where can I go about finding a pair of headsets for my Baehr? I was told that a place called National Cycle handles Baehr, but I called them and they do not. Thanks in advance for your help
post #11 of 32 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Baehr is no longer selling direct in the U.S. Contact Tony at www.challengermotors.co.nz.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #12 of 32 Old May 3rd, 2010, 4:51 pm

Harold,

I also have the Baehr K1200LT specific intercom on my 2005 K1200LT. I also have Baehr's intercom on my 2007 K1200GT. Garmin ZUMO 550 on both. I too am looking to add bluetooth for telephone, and want find a Bluetooth stereo headset setup for my Schuberth Concept helmets. Bike to Bike Bluetooth would be an added bonus.I would like to add these capabalities without starting over on the Baehr Inbtercoms.

I would appreciate any tips you have learned on your research.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
2007 K1200GT
99 Harley Electraglide Classic
post #13 of 32 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage
Harold,

I also have the Baehr K1200LT specific intercom on my 2005 K1200LT. I also have Baehr's intercom on my 2007 K1200GT. Garmin ZUMO 550 on both. I too am looking to add bluetooth for telephone, and want find a Bluetooth stereo headset setup for my Schuberth Concept helmets. Bike to Bike Bluetooth would be an added bonus.I would like to add these capabalities without starting over on the Baehr Inbtercoms.

I would appreciate any tips you have learned on your research.

Steve
Well, Steve, I'm basically at a standstill. I had a lengthy email conversation with Richard at RKA, the guys who make the In-Charge tank bags. He has the BT thing nailed down, but it's more than I bargained for, price-wise. He gave me several quotes on different configurations but the bottom line, for me, is (1) find a way to make my Icom FRS/GMRS (or other FRS/GMRS) radio work with the Baehr and a PTT, or replace the whole shooting match. I was also contacted by two other vendors and was given some ideas by guys on and off this thread. It seems the easy way is to start over... but that's also the expensive way. I'm still toying with the idea of just buying a new helmet and dedicating a BT comm system to that - something like the Cardo Scala G4, for example.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 32 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:40 am

Check out the Star Com Digital commo system that's sold by http://www.bikeeffects.com/

I bought the digital model from them last year and have been very happy. I don't use it to the extent you want to, but what I do use works great and the the person I spoke with there was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #15 of 32 Old May 4th, 2010, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Bob. The Starcom products are the basis for RKA's packages they put together. RKA's niche - and a very attractive feature, IMO - is everything goes in the tank bag. Nothing is installed on the bike. You unsnap the bag and take it with you for security.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 32 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:56 pm

Hi guys --new here -just bought my LT in Jan.2010 --Been looking at the new --- VIPER BLUETOOTH FLIP FRONT HELMET WITH SUNVISOR
VIPER RS-V121 BLUETOOTH -- on ebay --It will do it all !!! has anyone used one of these helmets ... Thanks Bentley
post #17 of 32 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:31 am

Howard, this may off in the very near future but a local manufacturer picked up my bike before STC and some dude from Arizona took the bluetooth "measurements" off of my LT, they have pretty much perfected the "Wing and now they are wanting to do the BMW's.

I will be running the BT on my bike once it is ready to be installed.

More info as comes available.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 32 Old May 30th, 2010, 1:28 am

Howard,

I have the same bike (05LT) and am in the same boat (Baehr LT Comm)....Im thinking Scala G4 right now unless theres something better for the money, I have to get the 2 rider set-up as it would be for me and the missus.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #19 of 32 Old May 30th, 2010, 6:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyS
Hi guys --new here -just bought my LT in Jan.2010 --Been looking at the new --- VIPER BLUETOOTH FLIP FRONT HELMET WITH SUNVISOR
VIPER RS-V121 BLUETOOTH -- on ebay --It will do it all !!! has anyone used one of these helmets ... Thanks Bentley
Seems way too good to be true! Everything included? I've been searching for a "quiet" flip helmet if this one is, I'm sold. Please let me know what you think of it after a few rides with your windshield down. They are all quiet when the wind is blocked.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 32 Old May 30th, 2010, 7:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Howard,

I have the same bike (05LT) and am in the same boat (Baehr LT Comm)....Im thinking Scala G4 right now unless theres something better for the money, I have to get the 2 rider set-up as it would be for me and the missus.

F
I have no doubt I could spring for a pair of the Scala G4s today and gain some of what I want, but I would be losing the bike audio controls (maybe that's not a big deal once you leave them behind), but I would also like the ability to talk with more than 3 other people (two couples, all using the Scala G4) with FRS/GMRS. But, as I think about it now I don't really ride in any larger groups except at events like STC.

OK, so maybe I'm talking myself into this Scala thing. So many options...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 32 Old May 30th, 2010, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

A related question, and something I haven't seen discussed before:

With the Cardo Scala G4, if two couples on two bikes all have this unit, can each person talk to any of the other three people without doing any kind of selection on the G4 unit? In other words, is it "open mic" between all four of them? I thought I read somewhere that you have to select the person you want to talk to, using buttons on the G4.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 32 Old May 31st, 2010, 3:04 pm

Quote:
A related question, and something I haven't seen discussed before:

With the Cardo Scala G4, if two couples on two bikes all have this unit, can each person talk to any of the other three people without doing any kind of selection on the G4 unit? In other words, is it "open mic" between all four of them? I thought I read somewhere that you have to select the person you want to talk to, using buttons on the G4.
Understand an open mic between 4 people could end up with an embarassing situation. I didn't realize that on a comm system on a previous LT where a VOX operated radio, let other riders in our party hear our conversation. Ended up being quiet a deal for my pillion in the end. I'm just saying.........

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #23 of 32 Old May 31st, 2010, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Understand an open mic between 4 people could end up with an embarassing situation. I didn't realize that on a comm system on a previous LT where a VOX operated radio, let other riders in our party hear our conversation. Ended up being quiet a deal for my pillion in the end. I'm just saying.........
Exactly, Steve, and that's one of the reasons I was asking how it works. That could be a pickle...

So, with the Scala G4 do you have to select each party before you can talk to them? And if that's the case, that seems pretty darn inconvenient for any back-and-forth conversation. Now, if it's just two of you going down the road (two-up), or one each on two bikes, you'd pair the two units together at the start of the trip and be done with it.

Rob: you have the G4 unit. How does it work in this regard?

Another question: I read that the G4's battery is not replaceable. If correct, then you have a very expensive disposable BT device if the battery craps out, stops taking a charge, etc. Is this true?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 32 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:01 pm

Howard, Im thinking BlueAnt F4 Interphone....just too many good reviews for the price.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #25 of 32 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Howard, Im thinking BlueAnt F4 Interphone....just too many good reviews for the price.

F
Yeah, that looks like a top-flight product, too. I also understand now that the various BT products don't talk to each other. Scala G4 doesn't talk with Interphone or the Sena (sp?) BT product.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #26 of 32 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 6:36 am

Yea, I have the F4 and I'm delighted with it. I don't have it linked into the bike controls though and that's what he wants.

Kevin
post #27 of 32 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
Yea, I have the F4 and I'm delighted with it. I don't have it linked into the bike controls though and that's what he wants.

Kevin
The more I think about that particular requirement, I'm willing to drop it. The only way I know of to keep the LT's factory audio controls is to go with a "hybrid" system, like the Rider Com.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #28 of 32 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 12:26 am

Old thread, I know, but I have an "old" question. I have an '01 LT-C and the OEM stereo appears to have everything I want with the exception of an easy way to connect my iPhone. That probably COULD POSSIBLY be corrected with one of the "CD Changer" replacement devices.

So here's why I'm posting this, and why I'm posting it here: I want everything he wants in the "complete" solution...but I'm happy with it being wired. I want to use as much of the factory equipment as possible - it's already there after all. It would seem I could just plug in one of my FRS motorolla radios into the proper connection, install the aforementioned CD replacement devices or the iphone, and find a good in-helmet headset (actually a pair so the wife can come along on the weekend) and I'd be good. However, I don't want to waste money trying to make this solution work only to be disappointed. IPhone integration is the most important bit - and by integration I mean full usability (including voice controls) of it while listening to music and possibly carrying on FRS and intercom conversations.

What's the forum's take?
post #29 of 32 Old Jun 21st, 2012, 4:19 pm

Scala G4 does it all with an 8 hour battery life. Bluetooth, FM, Ipod, talk to up to 4 bikes, voice activated, simple installation, amazing noise cancellation. I take calls at 100 mph and people on the other line think I am home. No wires, no worries. I love it and wife loves it.

1999 BMW LT
2006 Yamaha FZ1
post #30 of 32 Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

Interesting how this has evolved.
Here were my original wish-list items, and where I am today on them:

1. Wireless intercom between rider and passenger.
UPDATE: Tried the Sena product; not happy with it because I lost the factory audio. I like AM/FM radio.

2. Bike-to-bike communications. Preferably VOX, but traditional PTT is OK. (I'm thinking FRS/GMRS over CB, for its superior sound quality.) If PTT, the PTT button should be mounted on the left handlebar, not on a radio mounted somewhere that requires removing the hand from the handlebar; however, this is not a deal-breaker.
UPDATE: Had a BMW CB installed on my new LT. B2B now working, but relatively poor quality. Still, it works. PTT button is on the left handlebar, where it belongs.

3. Wireless reception of GPS spoken directions.
UPDATE: I have this from my Zumo 665, but only because I ran an aux. cable from the Zumo audio out port to the BMW VOICE II aux in port. AND, I have to switch the LT's audio mode to AUX, which means I can't get AM/FM radio and be interrupted by the GPS - which I want to be.

4. Wireless reception of cell phone calls. Making an outgoing call is not important for me, but if it's there I'd use it. Carefully.
UPDATE: I have this, but again only because the phone is plugged into the VOICE II phone port. I have not been able to sync the phone to the GPS via Bluetooth and get it working correctly. I can hear the caller, they can't hear me.

5. Wireless listening to music from an MP3 player or cell phone, AND the LT's audio system. Yes, I listen to AM and FM radio!
UPDATE: Same as above - I get MP3 music from the GPS but it's through the wired connection, and that's OK.

6. Maintaining the LT's audio controls.
UPDATE: Done, because I'm using the VOICE II.

7. A proven product, well-made, with goodsound quality and good post-sales support.
UPDATE: VOICE II.

So in summary it isn't perfect but it's better.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #31 of 32 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Have you looked at the Sena SM10?

I am buying my LT in another week and in my research it seems you can make an adaptor from your intercom hook up to a mini plug. Plug the mini plug into the SM10 and you have your bikes audio to your bluetooth.

I think you can add an SR10 to add 2 way radio interface.

I think 2 Sena headsets and the SM10 are less expensive then 2 JM Elite (or Edsets) headsets, and you don't have cords to mess with.

Tom
post #32 of 32 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmith083
Have you looked at the Sena SM10?

I am buying my LT in another week and in my research it seems you can make an adaptor from your intercom hook up to a mini plug. Plug the mini plug into the SM10 and you have your bikes audio to your bluetooth.

I think you can add an SR10 to add 2 way radio interface.

I think 2 Sena headsets and the SM10 are less expensive then 2 JM Elite (or Edsets) headsets, and you don't have cords to mess with.

Tom
I did try Sena's SMH10. It's good at what it does, but I wanted to keep the bike's audio controls. See my update #1 two posts up.

I'm not interested in making adapters, cables, or anything else. I just want things to work well, and work consistently. If such a cable exists I might buy it. There ARE times when I get tired of cables to and from helmets to the LT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in