BMW Communication System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

BMW Communication System

Just installed the new BMW Communication System in two System 6 helmets. Working fabulously. Crystal clear intercom, stereo (A2DP) bluetooth for GPS, MP3 and cell phone. Phone answers automatically, no buttons to push. I know, I know, a pricey combo but it does work great and the quality and fit are second to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Re: BMW Communication System

Quote:
Originally Posted by granged
Just installed the new BMW Communication System in two System 6 helmets. Working fabulously. Crystal clear intercom, stereo (A2DP) bluetooth for GPS, MP3 and cell phone. Phone answers automatically, no buttons to push. I know, I know, a pricey combo but it does work great and the quality and fit are second to none.
What bike have you got and what year .
Regards numbnuts in Blighty .
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Garage

Quote:
new BMW Communication System
HUH?

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:12 am Thread Starter

'09 R1200RT in Sapphire Black.
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:13 am

Quote:
Did you install it yourself? How hard was it if so?

Also, do you think the system would fit into another helmet? (Nolan N102)...

Thanks and enjoy your new toy!
post #6 of 16 Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:15 am

Bump.

New 2010 RT1200 owner here. It only took 2 short weeks to convince myself I just *have* to add on the BMW Communication System -- sounds like you're a satisfied customer? Did you do the install yourself or the local BMW dealer? Anything else you'd pass along to newbie looking to interconnect his iPhone and (probably sooner than later) BMW Nav IV?
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 9:27 pm

I am waiting for the Com 2 system for my 2009 LT. Does anyone know if the Nav 4 will plug into the Com 2? There is a extra plug from the Nav 4.
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:33 am

Quote:
Don't think this is available in the YSA....

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:46 pm

If your talking about the VOICE Com II system, yes it is out and I had it installed in my 09 LT. I also had the Nav IV installed but I have already gotten rid of the Nav IV and replaced the cradle with the cradle that came with the 665. Much better than the Nav IV and worth the little bit extra.

Garmin admitted there is a software/firmware problem with the Nav IV.

Gary

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"03" GL1800
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
When you say "BMW Communication System" what all do you mean? the VOICE II intercom? The BMW helmet headsets? Something else?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2010, 1:48 am

For those that ride 2 up I thought i'd share my experience. I also purchased sys 6 helmets and BMW BT headsets. I was disappointed that I would have to sacrifice many of the features I had become accustom to on my VCII. No FM Radio. No Stereo out of my Zumo 550. No way both of us could talk on the phone at the same time. No Audio in connector to connect our non bluetooth Ipod etc. Our local BMW dealer was kind enough to take the BT comm systems back and we are back to wires (I installed our J&M Elite headsets in the system 6's). Looking forward to seeing the Blue tooth capabilities of the new LT. I;m sure the total BMW system works great when riding solo.
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 3:47 pm

I just bought the Schuberth C3 helmet with the SRC however, with my 1200RT’s (2011) audio system the SRC wouldn’t pair in such a way that would allow the audio, navigation (BMW NAV IV) and the Apple iPhone to all connect. Long story short, I had to have the helmet sent back to the dealer and had the SRC exchanged for the brand new BMW Communications System that is dealer installed ONLY. This I believe will resolve the issues and allows for everything to work seamlessly.

Currently charging the Bluetooth so can’t do anything for the next few hours - Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all works well!

Zed H. (Milford, Cconnecticut)
BMW 2011 R-1200RT
Thunder Grey | Titan Silver | Granite Grey
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRiderCT
the brand new BMW Communications System that is dealer installed ONLY
Not the case -- I picked up my BMW Communicators from my dealer and installed them myself. Pretty easy install, actually.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:12 pm

I was told by Schuberth USA as well as the dealer that they are not allowed to sell the BMW Communications direct to consumer and can only be installed by the dealer within a Schuberth C3 helmet, and it takes 45 minutes (which I found very hard to believe) - you go figure. As this item was only released last week or so, maybe there is misinformation. But, I do agree that it cant possibly require a rocket science degree to install Bluetooth within a helmet.

In any case , I find the BMW Communications kit to be amongst the most user friendly, and also offers great clarity. Certainly not audiophile son ics but, beats the Cardo Scala Rider, Sena SMH10 and perhaps the Schuberth’s SRC as well. Highly recommended.

Zed H. (Milford, Cconnecticut)
BMW 2011 R-1200RT
Thunder Grey | Titan Silver | Granite Grey
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:43 pm

Quote:
and it takes 45 minutes (which I found very hard to believe) ... But, I do agree that it cant possibly require a rocket science degree to install Bluetooth within a helmet.
Actooly, that's about right -- the installation is not hard (especially if you've been inside a C3 before), but it is tedious -- lots of steps, as the installation kit is very well thought out** and there's simply a lot of things to do.

** The one exception is the size/shape/location of the recharging connector and cable -- it can poke you in the back/side of the head if not positioned well (which is hard to get "right").

Quote:
I find the BMW Communications kit to be amongst the most user friendly, and also offers great clarity. Certainly not audiophile son ics but, beats the Cardo Scala Rider, Sena SMH10 and perhaps the Schuberth’s SRC as well. Highly recommended.
+1 I was surprised how good it sounded as compared to my previous Cardo G4 Bluetooth headset.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 3:39 pm

Question Re: BMW Communication System

Has anyone been able to use their iPod with the 1600GTL?

I went back to the dealer in Daytona Fl., & they were not able to make any iPod work as described in the manual on any of the new bikes they had on the floor. They put out an email to BMW & got a response that their wasn't anything the dealer can do & would be advised as to when they had an answer, it's been 4 months now.

Just wondering if anybody out there had the same issue?

2012 K1600 GTL Silver
2005 K1200 LT Gold
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 500cc
1986 Honda 750cc
250 Honda Helix
500 Honda
350 Honda
500 Kawasaki 2 stroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in