Voice II and Bluetooth Cellphone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Smile Voice II and Bluetooth Cellphone

I have spent many hours researching the Internet and reading post in this forum, and finally, by good fortune have found a solution for interfacing my Voice II intercom (2005 K1200LT) and a bluetooth device. Just wanted to share this with the rest of you. If anyone has any questions, please email me at [email protected] as I am not on the forum on a regular basis.

The Voice II has a "cell phone" 2.5 mm stereo jack in the glove compartment. The manual says you can connect your cell phone direct to the port and use the headset and mic with your cell phone. Never really tried that because I want the cell phone on my body, not in the glove box.

Long story short... StarCom has a bluetooth adapter for there intercom units. The website for StarCom does not really explain the bluetooth unit much. AeroStitch sells the StarCom bluetooth unit for $97.00. (I suppose StarCom sells it too, but the site was way to complicated to fool with and waste my time on). It has 2 wires coming from it... A 3.5 mm stereo jack and a power wire that is needs to be connected to a hot wire that is only hot when the key is on.

The manual for the StarCom Bluetooth unit says to not mount the unit near heat or above the engine because of interference. It also says that it is NOT water proof. I purchase a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm converter and plugged it in. Big smiles because it WORKS.... I did decide to NOT mount it in the glove box, so I ran the wire (also bought at Radio Shack) back to the trunk and mounted it it the truck. The unit is only 1.5. inches by 2 inches, maybe 1 inch thick... I cut a notch for the wires on the top edge of the trunk and velcro'd the unit at the top edge. It is small and not in the way and mount at the top edge of the trunk base.

No, when my cell phone rings, the radio goes off and the telephone can be answered.
If your cell has auto-answer, then you can start talking... if not, you need to be able to press the answer button.

Remember... Ride Safe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Re: Voice II and Bluetooth Cellphone

I have a similar problem and have been searching for a solution...I have a 2009 BMW 1200LT with the "complete" communications package, including the ability to "plug" my phone into the system, allowing a telephone conversation to my wired helmet. I achieve this by a cell phome manufacturer supplied converter that has a mini-USB to the phone that then allows a 3.5 cable to be attached that I reduce to 2.5mm.
Pretty bulky… I also have found that the antenna on my telephone is limited when the CommCenter/CD compartment door is closed - while I can hear the caller, they can't hear me at all.
I was considering the Cardo Scala BTA II as an alternative, allowing a "bluetooth" connection to the phone and the unit to the CommSystem.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 3:03 pm

RobbWhiteRN,

It sounds like the problem you are having, that no one can hear you, may be that the 2.5mm connector you have may only be a 3 pin conductor.This would mean that you only have a common, right and left pin out. What is needed is a 2.5mm 4 pin conductor. The 4th conductor gives you the mic option you need to transmit voice.
If you look at the attached pic the left is a standard 3 conductor stereo plug most common to mp3 headsets. The right is a 4 conductor plug and will provide a circuit for the mic.
I had a tough time finding one locally, so I had one made by these guys:

http://www.infinitecables.com/

With shipping my cable cost $35. It was a 18in, 2.5mm right angle 4conductor to a 3.5mm straight 4conductor (They were not able to get a 3.5mm right angle at the time I ordered, so I opted for straight, wish I would have waited. It take up a lot of space) They custom make any cable so what ever your need I sure they could do it. It is not the most user friendly application as you have to keep your phone in the glove box. But it works. Eventually I will buy a cell mount and attach it next to my GPS unit which will make it a lot easier to use, but I'm really not looking to have that many conversations while riding (if I wanted to talk on the phone I would have stayed home). But it is nice to have that option.

Have Fun
TOM G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-04-30 14.37.27.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	27157  

post #4 of 4 Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:14 pm

I am by no means an expert in communications equipment, but I my Motorola Razr uses the 3 pin conductor and the mic works fine. I had a phone that used the 2.5 mm cable but the Razr has a mini-usb connection. So I purchased a mini-usb to 2.5 converter cable off of Amazon.com. The cable is actually a cell phone headset converter, so that may have something to do with it. Just my 2 cents...

OEM-Enhanced-Standard-Headset-adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39
RobbWhiteRN,

It sounds like the problem you are having, that no one can hear you, may be that the 2.5mm connector you have may only be a 3 pin conductor.This would mean that you only have a common, right and left pin out. What is needed is a 2.5mm 4 pin conductor. The 4th conductor gives you the mic option you need to transmit voice.
If you look at the attached pic the left is a standard 3 conductor stereo plug most common to mp3 headsets. The right is a 4 conductor plug and will provide a circuit for the mic.
I had a tough time finding one locally, so I had one made by these guys:

http://www.infinitecables.com/

With shipping my cable cost $35. It was a 18in, 2.5mm right angle 4conductor to a 3.5mm straight 4conductor (They were not able to get a 3.5mm right angle at the time I ordered, so I opted for straight, wish I would have waited. It take up a lot of space) They custom make any cable so what ever your need I sure they could do it. It is not the most user friendly application as you have to keep your phone in the glove box. But it works. Eventually I will buy a cell mount and attach it next to my GPS unit which will make it a lot easier to use, but I'm really not looking to have that many conversations while riding (if I wanted to talk on the phone I would have stayed home). But it is nice to have that option.

Have Fun
TOM G.

cisdoz
2009 Triumph Bonneville
2006 K1200LT
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2002 Harley Night Train
1980 Harley Sportster
1970 Honda SL70
1966 Bridgestone 60
1968 Coyote

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"At this speed, I can't stop. I have to slow down first"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in