GPS Can't Be Heard - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

GPS Can't Be Heard

I have a Navigator III GPS, communication center, head set, mic on the K1200LT. I used Mapsource to plot a route and then told the GPS to navigate the ruote expecting the GPS to give me tirn by turn verbal instruction through the headset as to when a turn was g soming up or even re-route me if I made I wrong turn. I got neither. Why can't I hear the instructions in the headset. Why does it not instantiouslt reroute? I have the speaker on the GPS set at 30% should I go higher? I head nothing.

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 1:38 pm

Re: GPS Can't Be Heard

The GPS plays only thru the headset. Before setting out, have your helmet on and plugged into the system. Either with the engine running or with the key in the ACC position, try the radio. Can you hear thru the headset? If yes, continue, if not play with the volume until you can. If not, get some help from someone local (or dealer) to verify all the connections are correct.

Assuming you can hear the radio, be sure the GPS is connected and on. Press the <Speak> button on the GPS - he/she should say something, if only "ready to navigate". If you cannot hear, hold the <speak> button until the volume setting appears, and adjust the setting. If you cannot hear at the highest setting (but CAN hear the radio) there is either a connection or an internal issue.

If you can hear the GPS, try the autoroute feature, letting the GPS set a route from here to there, and start riding - should be both visual on-screen AND audible directions. If this works, but your manual route does not, a call to Garmin may be in order - they are usually quite helpful. Also try the Garmin website. Also check with another rider locally and compare notes/installations.

HTH

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 2:22 pm

I have a Garmin 2610 going through an Autocom. I know that a stereo audio plug will not work, I have to use a mono plug or I get no sound.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

I can not hear the radio in my headset only on the external speakers on the bike. Do I have the control box under the tank cover set up wrong? I can hear my wife talk to me but that's it. BTW: Am I the only one who is going to hear the GPS or is the wife going to hear it too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
The GPS plays only thru the headset. Before setting out, have your helmet on and plugged into the system. Either with the engine running or with the key in the ACC position, try the radio. Can you hear thru the headset? If yes, continue, if not play with the volume until you can. If not, get some help from someone local (or dealer) to verify all the connections are correct.

Assuming you can hear the radio, be sure the GPS is connected and on. Press the <Speak> button on the GPS - he/she should say something, if only "ready to navigate". If you cannot hear, hold the <speak> button until the volume setting appears, and adjust the setting. If you cannot hear at the highest setting (but CAN hear the radio) there is either a connection or an internal issue.

If you can hear the GPS, try the autoroute feature, letting the GPS set a route from here to there, and start riding - should be both visual on-screen AND audible directions. If this works, but your manual route does not, a call to Garmin may be in order - they are usually quite helpful. Also try the Garmin website. Also check with another rider locally and compare notes/installations.

HTH

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Is it possible to set this up where the wife can listen to music but I cannot, however I can hear the GPS but she can't and yet we can talk to one another when need be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn

HTH

post #6 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 6:39 pm

Garage

First off which year bike do you have and which model BMW Comm system (radio) ?

I have a 2006 with the Voice II system. The nuvi is using a 3.5mm plug out of the side of the GPS and into the 3.5mm AUX inlet in the oddments box (glovebox). The radio needs to be set to AUX then instructions are heard thru the headsets of BOTH you and the passeger. I have the volume set to about 70% for GPS and 60% for the music on the SD card. I rarely use the radio.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

It's a 2009 K1200LT with voicecom II. There is only one cable to the Navigator III GPS. It supplies power, etc. I can only assume since the wife and I cannot hear the radio in out headsets we have something on the com center turned off. I guess I'll have to place with it. Standing still with the GPS on, how do I get the GPS to talk to me since I'm not moving and don't want to make these adjustments, while moving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in