post #1 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Scala

Has anyone tried the Scala Rider 2?

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 1:19 am

Re: Scala

Got one (the Q2 Multiset)....love it.....now they have a newer version....

Here's a link to Web Bike World's Q2 Review

and here's the new one......the G4

your choice which one to go for....if its just you and your pillion, the Q2 Multiset will work well. I'm sure the G4 one-ups it a little bit more.

Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 1:45 am

My riding buddy and I have been using Scala Q2s for over a year. Have my BlackBerry linked to my Zumo 550, the Zumo linked to the Scala and the Scala linked to my buddy's Scala. This gives me bike-to-bike, GPS and phone through the Scala. It all works with no wires. Also get mp3 music from the Zumo, but mono only. The new Scalas have stereo from the Zumo. It all works. Have been on the road for over 10 hours and the battery has never given up.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 2:18 am

My wife and I have been using the Q2 for bike to bike communications. I have my IPhone 3G paired with it and I receive calls fine. An IPhone 3GS would work better so I could voice dial with it. I previously had a Motorola Razor that I was able to voice dial and receive calls very well with the Q2.

My wife and I have done long rides with the Q2 and it seems to last about 10 hours. She uses the FM radio when she rides. My buddy and I did a long distance ride and were able to get about 15 hours out of the Q2 since we were only using it for bike to bike communications. What I liked was that we both brought our wife's units and we did not have to bother pairing since we used one family's set at a time.

I do need to add an additional unit to the family since our son is now riding with us more often. I know I can expand to one more unit with the Q2 but only 2 can talk at a time. I am interested in the G4 unit but I haven't heard any reviews on it yet.

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 5:54 am

Eric, this is a post on a thread on the cb/intercom etc forum, this site. The cb/intercom forum is, as you would expect, rife with reviews, suggestions, etc. There are 1 or 2 reviews on the newest G4 system. More features, ore capability, more $ but it would be best to understand the differences v. your needs before you take the plunge.

I wrote:
I recently bought the Scala Q2 MultiSet. (It's been nearly a year now, still love it!)

Syncing was no problem as the two units in the kit were factory synced. My BlackBerry 9000 synced first try and there have been no issues. Have not tried to sync to a GPS or to a third Scala headset but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Cell function is extraordinary. It dials my BlackBerry without error and the party on the other end always has a hard time believing I am on a motorcycle going 75 to 80 mph down the freeway. Even my brother in law who has a corded factory system on his Harley is amazed.

Intercom System. Flawless as an intercom. No wind noise at all and conversations are held at room volume. No need to raise your voice at all.

MP3. Sucks! The MP3 function is not amplified and relies on the amplifer (headphone level output) to drive the speakers. The speakers definitely need to be higher fidelity but they should be easy to change out. One other issue and this just may be operator error. When The intercom voice activation occurs the MP3 function turns off, As expected. But without manual intervention the MP3 does not seem to turn back on. Not sure what the issue is here but I'm sure I'll figure it out. (This issue has been totally resolved. I cut the helmet speakers out of the system, added a 1/8" stereo jack to use molded earphones in place of the speakers and the results are startlingly good).

Non replaceable battery? Do you realize how many of these systems you can buy for the cost of the BMW corded system? Besides, if CardoScala can get the batteries we should be able to source them. A little xacto knife work, a little silicone and poof. Back in business. Or, pitch the old and bring in the newer generation in a couple years.

I would not hesitate to recommend this system to a friend nor have I regretted buying one for myself.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Got one (the Q2 Multiset)....love it.....now they have a newer version....

Enjoy!

As my wife constantly reminds me.....newer is not necessarily better.

The Q2's are waterproof. The G4 is not. For whatever that's worth.

I love my Q2. I pipe my V1 detector to my earphones via mp3 jack.

My Nuvi is not bluetooth so I have to rely on visual but, it would be nice to hear turn instructions on the headset. Scala will do that.

And... while I don't like talking on the phone while driving. I did have the phone ring one time. Other party told me that I sounded like I was in the other room. No wind noise.

Great product.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:46 am

'Tis true! The Q2 is waterproof which is very important here in the Pacific Northwet.

The G4has A2DP stereo bluetooth the Q2 does not!

Sometimes newer is better. I love my Q2 Multiset. Works flawlessly now that I cut the crappy speakers off and replaced them with a stereo jack so that I can plug in molded earphones.

The stereo jack/earphone thing is what makes the Q2 a nearly ideal solution for me. With the addition of a set of DIY molded earphones for $34.95 I can now listen to tunes at the same volume level that I listen to them at home.

The only downside with the molded earphones is that they are so quiet I miss the sound of the LT unless I am accelerating heavily.

Someday I would love to hear one of these beasties go by at 100 mph while standing by the side of the road. I'll bet the experience would be one I would remember.

As far as using the phone while on the road I don't do it often but don't hesitate to use it if I need to. With voice dialing, bluetooth hands free, and no ptt it seems safer than using CB.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
As my wife constantly reminds me.....newer is not necessarily better.

The Q2's are waterproof. The G4 is not. For whatever that's worth.

I love my Q2. I pipe my V1 detector to my earphones via mp3 jack.

My Nuvi is not bluetooth so I have to rely on visual but, it would be nice to hear turn instructions on the headset. Scala will do that.

And... while I don't like talking on the phone while driving. I did have the phone ring one time. Other party told me that I sounded like I was in the other room. No wind noise.

Great product.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 1:15 pm

I just got the BT Interphone. Far cheaper. Seems very good and very easy to use. I've only done two rides with it though but 1st impresions are excellent. Had a wired Autocom for the last 10 or 12 years and this is far more versatile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in