My new (to me) K1200LT has an Autocom ... how do I get more info? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

My new (to me) K1200LT has an Autocom ... how do I get more info?

Hello,

I just bought a 2000 model K1200LT that's in really good condition. After 4 days I am really happy with it. Big difference than my Honda VTX 1800R.
Seems like a real highway plus twistie bike.

My bike came with an Autocom installed - there are cables for both driver and passenger - but the folks I bought it from didn't have any info on model etc. And the previous owner didn't leave the helmet headsets (not that I would have placed a huge value on used headsets anyway ....)

Can someone help me get started? I need to know what I have, how to use it, and what to buy to make it work for me & the missus.

Bruce

2000 BMW 1200 LT-I
2003 Honda VTX1800R
1984 Honda Magna V65

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and the wish I still had 'ems:
1988 Yamaha FZ750R
1981 Honda CB750F
1975 CB500T
1965 Honda Superhawk 305
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 9:18 am

Re: My new (to me) K1200LT has an Autocom ... how do I get more info?

I was able to get the microphone/headset combos for helmets from the dealer (Big Sky in Missoula,MT). I assume you have the extension cables with the unit. I also changed the speakers out for a much improved Radio Shack product. Check some of the archives here for that swap.

Good luck
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 9:39 am

Possession or possessed

Am picking up bike today ,2000,
it is -3 degrees this morning, should warm up to 9 degrees C
Have 2 1/2 hour ride on Honda shadow and 2 1/2 return trip on the mothership

Eric

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 11:35 pm

I have a very similar situation and am only a step ahead. I found this link http://www.topgearaccess.com/autocom/manuals.php and printed the manual for the Pro 7 Sport unit that is on my 2002 LT. I, too, am in search of headsets.

Scott
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Scott,

How did you figure out which model you have and how it is connected? All I know is there are two cables sticking out of the front and rear seats that have round multipin connectors, and the dealer told me they went to an Autocom unit.

Bruce

2000 BMW 1200 LT-I
2003 Honda VTX1800R
1984 Honda Magna V65

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and the wish I still had 'ems:
1988 Yamaha FZ750R
1981 Honda CB750F
1975 CB500T
1965 Honda Superhawk 305
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 1:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Most units are mounted under the passenger seat (just follow the cables back, duh huh? ) so you can get a look at it and compare it to what the Autocom Uk site has.
http://www.autocom.co.uk/

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 7:45 am

I've had an autocom unit (I think its an Easy Plus) which I've transferred from bike to bike for about 12 years now. It's excellent and I would say that the mike and speakers are perfectly good . Positioning is important to get the best sound. One neat thing is that the unit stays off until you plug in the driver's lead, so no running down your battery.
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdad57
How did you figure out which model you have and how it is connected? All I know is there are two cables sticking out of the front and rear seats that have round multipin connectors, and the dealer told me they went to an Autocom unit.
Does your leads have 5-pin or 7-pin connectors? If it has 5-pins, you most likely have the pro 3000, if it has 7 pins, it might be the pro 1 (?) system.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 2:56 pm

After I got home from the dealer, I was a bit skeptic, thinking that salesman may have confused my bike with another concerning the Autocom. I searched high and low, using an LED flash light, located the unit under the passenger seat. I took the seat off and the labels clearly identify it as being Autocom Pro 7 Sport. There are three cables coming out of the unit.....two with 7-pin connector and one with 5-pin connector.
There is also a shunt looking device in one of the ports on the unit.

Scott
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi
After I got home from the dealer, I was a bit skeptic, thinking that salesman may have confused my bike with another concerning the Autocom. I searched high and low, using an LED flash light, located the unit under the passenger seat. I took the seat off and the labels clearly identify it as being Autocom Pro 7 Sport. There are three cables coming out of the unit.....two with 7-pin connector and one with 5-pin connector.
There is also a shunt looking device in one of the ports on the unit.

Scott
Scott,
This is the Manual for that model. If I recall the "shunt" increases the volume by 9db (300%), a significant amount!

From the Manual: Speech level high/low socket (side-tone adjustment)
Adjusts speech only - all other inputs are adjustable at source. Plug 3.5mm jack plug (supplied) into socket to boost rider and passenger speech volumes by approx 9dB (300%) when using earplugs. An optional handlebar remote high/low speech switch is available from your dealer. The high volume setting should only be used when using earplugs - do not use it to compensate for incorrectly positioned speakers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pro-7-Sport_Manual.pdf (890.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: pdf Pro_7_Sport_Head_3C53BE.pdf (807.7 KB, 175 views)

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in