Starcom pin outs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Starcom pin outs

As this took a little bit longer to find than I had expected. I thought I would post it.

Another member had tired of his BC1. He purchased a Starcom1 (?). While doing the wiring and making the connections, a few things that did not sit well with either of us was the connection to the headsets and the headsets themselves. (He has J&M audio on three helmets) The supplied headsets, although not tested, look cheap.

The connection, unless you pay the $50 for the snap jack, is left dangling. Just a pigtail strapped to what ever point you wish. Seeing that the SC unit uses simple PS2 (computer mouse connection) I thought I would try to make an adapter. It is an ongoing process (I have everything I need today, will test tomorrow) This way, he has the starcom and can use the J&M set ups he already has AND uses the oem connection point on the dash.

Which brings me to my post. The starcom1 pin outs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StarComConnectorPinOut.JPG
Views:	12288
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	26533  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Last edited by shoswell; Mar 2nd, 2010 at 11:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:12 pm

Re: Starcom pin outs

Hoss
The Starcom is what Eileen and I are using, for the most part we are very happy with them. The main thing is they are half the price of AutoCom (at least from what I found) and much smaller. We have not had any problems with cables, having to plug into the pigtails doesn't bother us, so far no problems. The helmet wiring has been reliable, but the speakers suck, I have tried some other speakers (expensive) with no improvement if you are using earplugs, you just have to use so much volume with the earplugs that the speakers distort badly. I went to the helmet set you can plug earphones into and what a change! There are a few good earphone sets out there, we are using S-Plugs and are very happy with them so far. I don't know if Ed and Dovie use earplugs with speakers so they may not have the problem we had doing so, time will tell.
Good Luck
Larry
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:51 pm

Just another point of view here on the quality of the Starcom headsets. I've used J&M headsets for many years and was quite happy with their audio quality. For a variety of reasons I just switched to a Starcom Digital unit on my RT and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the audio with their headset. Music has good base, clear highs and I've got all the volume I need, even with earplugs. Of course, one man's hi-fi is another man's lo-fi and I should also note that my music source is a good quality aftermarket Pioneer head unit. My 2 cents.

Michael
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:35 pm

I may have had to turn mine up more, I spent alot of years on a Harley. Glad yours work well (although I think the helmet you use makes a difference also).
Larry
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 2:05 pm

For the record, a Shoei Multitec flip-front.

Michael
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well (as far as the above posts) YMMV.....
As I left the Crum & Crum residence we got the adapters to work effortlessly. Simple plug and play. Now when you look at the bike all looks like stock OEM. with the exception of the PTT, which upon examination has some sort of resister inside. Didn't want to risk something smoking. Now the OEM look is maintained, His old helmets (J&M) can be used and more importantly he can dump the BC1..... Just have to fine tune some things then Ed has to put her back together. (this is the first time he has undressed the lady) I'll try to get a schematic made up just for GP..... But its pretty simple with the above info...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:36 pm

Hoss to the rescue! Good job, now stop the rain so we can go test it out.
Larry
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:40 am

I installed a StarCom1 Advanced unit on my '07 1200RT last month (Feb) and I'm quite pleased with it. I installed the stock closed helmet headset in my Shoei RF1000 and I can carry on phone conversations, talk to my passenger (wife), and listen to my iPod nano at 70 mph. Still trying to eliminate RFI noise on the CB (suspect alternator and/or fuel pump), but after installing a couple of choke filters and a Firestick NGP antenna, it is usable (kind of anal about perfection). I'm considering installing the headset with the earplug adapter because of wind noise and hearing protection; might also help with understanding the CB radio conversation better.
post #9 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:56 am

Thanks Shoswell, This is precisly what I want to do. I too have the J&M headsets and want to use the OEM connection points for the headset. I have found all the Starcom components online and am going to purchase. I may contact you if I run into any problems with the connectors.

Thanks!

2000 K1200LTI
post #10 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPearson
Thanks Shoswell, This is precisly what I want to do. I too have the J&M headsets and want to use the OEM connection points for the headset. I have found all the Starcom components online and am going to purchase. I may contact you if I run into any problems with the connectors.

Thanks!

All the starcom parts are regular A/V cables available at your local Radio shack. Look at the ends and get and s-video and ???. no need to order starcom1 parts!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Shoswell,
I spoke with a Starcom dealer and he said the J&M headsets are not compatible with the Starcom intercom system. Something about Dynamic versus Electronic activation??
I ordered the unit just to see for myself if it will work. Have you ever heard anything about this issue?

Thanks

2000 K1200LTI
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPearson
Shoswell,
I spoke with a Starcom dealer and he said the J&M headsets are not compatible with the Starcom intercom system. Something about Dynamic versus Electronic activation??
I ordered the unit just to see for myself if it will work. Have you ever heard anything about this issue?

Thanks
Well, I attempted to "google" the two for a definition reading through a few posts, I think they are speaking about the fact that with the OEM starcom parts, when you plug in the lower cord, it activates the unit itself. (I.e. Plug in- power on, plug out- power off) that said, the non-oem version worked fine as It would appear that the switching is done internally, i do see reverend to 0v on the schematic, but it worked on my tester and again on the final version.

Now, since then C&C has converted over to full OEM starcom. Due simply because he broke off a pin on the upper cord. Instead of replacing the cord, he swapped out the J&M for the starcom. Play with what make you happy is the moral of the story.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in