Noise isolation Earphones??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpiner2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Smile Noise isolation Earphones???

I ride my LT with a Zumo and XM radio. With helmet speakers it was almost impossible to hear anything even on the loudest settings. I love to ride with ear plugs so I tried a pair of radio shack in ear spekres just to see. WOW what a difference. However they still don't block out enough of the road noise, nor do they stay in very well. Does anyone have any expierence with noise isolation earphones. I'm not looking to spend the $1,000 for Ultimate Ears but do believe this is the way to go.

ALL BMW OWNERS SHARE THE SAME QUALITIES, TECHNICAL,SMART AND HELPFUL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 10:22 am

Re: Noise isolation Earphones???

my experience has been that the helmet speakers are all but useless, unless they are positioned directly over the ear hole. My autocom install placed the speakers to far back and it was difficult to enjoy the tunes. relocation made a huge improvement. also the position of the wind shield in relation to face shield either increases or reduces wind noise.

Have not yet purchased ear speakers, but have been told they are a great improvement and much more comfortable.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #3 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 10:59 am

I've used many different kinds of helmet speakers and earbuds and I believe the best combo is earbuds that use the foam inserts you roll up, press into your ear, and let expand to the shape of your ear. Just like the cheap earplugs I have by the score in every pocket, bag, and extra space, and which I use when not listening to an audio source. As far as active noise isolation, I think it's great, but expensive.

If you can just block most of the noise coming in to your ear, your audio source will sound great and can be at a lower volume.

Remember the most important aspect of this: Whether or not you have audio coming in, reducing noise will reduce stress (studies have proven this) so you will be alert and best able to concentrate and enjoy your ride!

post #4 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 11:52 am

My recommendation is that you contact a fellow BMW motorcyclist named Bob Weis at The Earplug Company.

http://www.earplugco.com/

He sells what I refer to as in-ear monitors and while not inexpensive, are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Not only do the earplugs attenuate wind noise and other ambient sounds, the audio quality is second to none. I've found these to be incredible on long trips and they are truly the first thing I pack. Love them so much I scored a second pair for the gym as I'm not a fan of headphones or those uncomfortable iPod ear buds. On his web page look at the Challenger C's - as he states, not for the faint of heart!

These are custom molded to your ear so impressions will have to be made and sent back to Bob. He sells a kit to make things easier if you don't want the hassle and expense of going to your local audiologist. I think it was worth the wait as they fit perfectly under your helmet.

A word of warning, these monitors will spoil you for good. Like sipping a finely aged tequila versus shooting that Jose Cuervo lighter fluid, this will open your eyes.

Give my best to Bob!

David
post #5 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm

You could also go this route: http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

I haven't used them, but they do look interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 1:00 pm

I recently attended a BMW group ride in Death Valley. We stayed in Beatty Nv...a rider known as Arizona Al....was custom fitting the "in ear" type earphones in his motel room....the unique part was the lines going to the ears were tubes ( 1/8" ) I did try the air delivered sound and was quite surprised at the quality...users commented that they totally eliminate road/wind noise...while still allowing hearing sirens/emergency type sounds....I will look for his card and re-post.....$65 for the ear pieces.....$200 for the source.......1 advantage was being able to replace the 1/8" tubes easily if necessary.....

Maybe someone else on the board knows him???
jkersh1 likes this.

post #7 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 2:04 pm

I ride with custom made plugs. It was the best $75 I ever spent. You can go to your local hearing aid guy and they can also make them if you don't get them made at a show. I can hear the ipod better and other noises other then my wife in the headphone. But I am not stressed with all the road noise and also the benefit of not hearing my wife telling me to slow down.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #8 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 2:21 pm

In the ear speakers are the way to go.
Helmet speakers combined with earplugs isn't bad, but you have to crank up the audio volume to the point of distortion.

If you are going to put in earplugs anyway, you may as well put in wired earplugs. I did get a custom set made at CCR Braselton which were very comfortable but they didn't last long, develped a short and I trashed 'em. http://plugup.com/cart/

I now use an earlier version of these:
http://www.aerostich.com/navigate-co...rspeakers.html

I did try the much cheaper Koss ear speakers, not comfortable, didn't isolate sound so well, and I gave up on 'em.

Then I got the ER-6 earbuds. They came with a variety of different sized and different material foam and rubber plugs. After some experimentation I found the right plug for my ears. Now very comfortable, great ambient noise reduction, and great sound.

I would suggest trying these, or have a custom made in-the-ear speaker made by an audiologist. It was Marylin at CCR who made my custom ones. They were very comfortable, and the sound was good BUT the quality of the components were poor compared to the ER-6 and the wiring developed a short. Sooner or later you are going to accidently tug on the wires and they need to be made rugged enough to take a bit of that. My custom ones were not very rugged. The ER-6 I have been using for years and are doing well. I did have to fuss with the ER-6 ones more before I found the comfortable fit; the custom ones were comfortable from the start.
YMMV
post #9 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 2:53 pm

I purchased two pairs of Challenger earphones from Bob in 1999 and they are still working like the first day.

His later models are now better as the cable that goes to the ear are a lot thinner than the ones Ive got, which are the same size as the main cable before it splits into two.

Highly recommended.
post #10 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 10:59 pm

I use JVC noise isolation in ear headphone plugged to my stock intercom via the J&M HC-ZJM-S connector http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....od=JM-HC-ZJM-S
I works well for me and makes a world of a difference over the J&M helmet speakers.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #11 of 23 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 11:05 pm
Sit

I use roll up earplugs with the highest noise blocking rating I can find. Use the cheapest helmet speakers Aerostich sells. With the ipod adjusted correctly, plenty loud enough to hear at any speed, GS or LT. Most songs I actually turn it down a bit so I can still get some other noise into my processing center. In town traffic, I turn it way down so I can hear horns and sirens etc.
post #12 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 8:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
You could also go this route: http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

I haven't used them, but they do look interesting.
+1 on earfuze. Reduced expense since you mold them into your ear yourself. I've had them for 2 years and are still in great shape. They halved the road noise and the volume necessary from the MP3 player.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #13 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:20 am

I had the same experience listening to XM through my Zumo. I talked to a vendor at the Finger Lakes Rally last September and had a pair of iPlugs custom made. The company is E.A.R.Inc at earinc.com. IIRC they were about $225./$250. but worth every penny. I didn't know what I was missing.

Ride Safe,
Wade
post #14 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:01 am

+1 on what Charlie VT says. Etymotic ER6 in-ear headphones. Multiple, washable, replaceable silicon seals to keep out noise and provide great sound + replaceable ear wax filters.

They attenuate about 26db.
post #15 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:16 am

+2 on the Etymotic ER6. However, I like the foam plugs (they also come with these). Here's the link on Amazon. About $77.00 . I ended up getting a second pair for my wife.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...6i&sprefix=ety
post #16 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 9:34 pm

Hi all;

Just wondering it these ear plugs (wired) work for mic's on existing helmet headsets?

The cable ( 6 pin with adapter) is ok to hear but to "talk" to the passanger??

Bowdon
post #17 of 23 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Hi all;

Just wondering it these ear plugs (wired) work for mic's on existing helmet headsets?

The cable ( 6 pin with adapter) is ok to hear but to "talk" to the passanger??

Bowdon
As I explained in my post earlier in this thread I use this connector http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail...rod=JM-HC-ZJM-S which enables me to connect my in ear isolation headset to the stock intercom. With that I can talk thru the Helmet mike and listen thru the in-ear speakers. Works perfectly

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #18 of 23 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
+1 on earfuze. Reduced expense since you mold them into your ear yourself. I've had them for 2 years and are still in great shape. They halved the road noise and the volume necessary from the MP3 player.

Jer
I started a thread last week on this topic. I ordered a pair of the Earfuze ear thingeys and have found them to be remarkable. I have about 4 hours highway time on the now and as I was on a 3 hr ride I was trying to figure a way to explain how effective they are.

I was riding 65mph on a secondary road 51* F, windshield all the way down and the chin bar on my Symax II in the up position. The music I was listening to had a passage with a flute solo. The volume was set at a position that would be comfortable sitting in my living room. Not only was the flute solo easy to hear, I could actually hear the flautist draw in his breath between intervals. They are truly that good.

$34 deliverd to the door. I will pick up a spare kit and leave them in the tunk. If someone is going to ride pillion with me for 1/2 day or more I will mold them a set on the spot.

They are perfectly aligned every time, they stay in place when I put my hemet on and take it off and they are comfortable.

I like 'em!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #19 of 23 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 3:25 pm
KJN

Just tried the earfuse product. Impressive!

Wrote them a note with a question:

"Just tried out your earpieces. Great product. Easy to set up and use. I have a question:

Your ear buds are good, however I generally use a set of high end buds and comparing the difference in the audio characteristics I am thinking of using your mold material in combination with my ear buds. Can you see any problem with doing this?

Thanks in advance,"

Kimble Neel
Phoenix, AZ

Will post the reply.
post #20 of 23 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 8:42 am
KJN

Didn't wait for a reply from the Earfuse folks. Found these at Dick's Sporting Goods ($15):

http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-ra...-earplugs.aspx

Used the same method to mold the material to my earbuds. Worked Great!

Kimble
Phoenix
post #21 of 23 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Kimble, I sent them a note asking the same question. Never heard back either! You have made quite the find I must say. I have a couple sets of ear buds on the same design as Earfuze uses and will just get the kit from Dicks and make 'em up as I need 'em.

I emailed them regarding the use of my Bose in-ear phones but never heard back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN
Just tried the earfuse product. Impressive!

Wrote them a note with a question:

"Just tried out your earpieces. Great product. Easy to set up and use. I have a question:

Your ear buds are good, however I generally use a set of high end buds and comparing the difference in the audio characteristics I am thinking of using your mold material in combination with my ear buds. Can you see any problem with doing this?

Thanks in advance,"

Kimble Neel
Phoenix, AZ

Will post the reply.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 23 Old Feb 16th, 2010, 11:30 am
KJN

Loren,

Found this in the gun section used for hearing protection. Been riding for a couple of days using them. Very pleased.

One note. The amount of material in the kit is a bit less than that supplied by earfuse. Not a problem if you are careful when forming the goo around the earbud.

Good luck.

Kimble
Phoenix
post #23 of 23 Old Nov 26th, 2016, 6:17 am

Is Bob, from the Earplug co still in business ?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in