PTT for the passenger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

PTT for the passenger

Just purchased a 2009 K1200 LT that came with Voice II Com System. I ordered the BMW CB which in their catalog said comes with a PTT for both rider and passenger. Mine did not. Am wondering if anyone else has ordered the BMW CB for the voice II system and if you got the passenger PTT. Am working with my local dealer but seems to be a very slow process. I ordered it because it said you get both.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"03" GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:01 pm

Re: PTT for the passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpdx
Just purchased a 2009 K1200 LT that came with Voice II Com System. I ordered the BMW CB which in their catalog said comes with a PTT for both rider and passenger. Mine did not. Am wondering if anyone else has ordered the BMW CB for the voice II system and if you got the passenger PTT. Am working with my local dealer but seems to be a very slow process. I ordered it because it said you get both.
I think... It really means that if you push the PTT, both you and the passenger are allowed to talk on the GMRS/CB... I know on my '06 it works great with GMRS. When the missus wants to share with the world, she smacks the back of my helmet and I push da button... it works for both the driver AND the passenger...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #3 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:06 pm

My bike has a button by the passenger volume control that allows her to key up the CB. Mine is an 03......................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Well I hope I don't regret giving up the wing for the LT cause right now she is not a happy camper. She wants her own button.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #5 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Maybe I can be a little clearer. The catalog states it comes with 2 PTT buttons and when I picked up my bike, they said there was only the rider that came with the kit. I am curious to find out if anyone else has ordered the BMW CB kit and if so was there 2 PTT in the kit.
I contacted J&M and was told BMW supplied the PTT after they built the CB unit. They were aware that the kit had come with 2 PTT but could not help me out.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #6 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

I installed the factory CB on my 2009 about 10 months ago. The kit only came with the 1 PTT button that was mounted on the L/H side under the CB unit. The instructions were poor at best but it was pretty clear there were no provisions for the rear passenger in my kit. Sorry.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #7 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Maybe I can be a little clearer. The catalog states it comes with 2 PTT buttons and when I picked up my bike, they said there was only the rider that came with the kit. I am curious to find out if anyone else has ordered the BMW CB kit and if so was there 2 PTT in the kit.
I contacted J&M and was told BMW supplied the PTT after they built the CB unit. They were aware that the kit had come with 2 PTT but could not help me out.
FWIW... About three years ago, I ordered a PTT kit for my bike (for a GMRS). It came with two buttons and may be what J&M was referring to. Following is an excerpt from the old thread with the part number that may be helpful to you if you have to buy another PTT for your passenger.

Snip.... "I just purchased the FRS cable (p/n #65142337298) and the PTT button kit ( p/n #82000419352) from Chicago BMW for $25.85 and $60.00, respectively. The PTT and cable both work with a Kenwood GMRS TK-3131 connected to the Voice II communications system. I was hoping that I could use the Midland radios that I already owned but they were not compatible with the FRS cable pin configuration so I purchased the Kenwood for about $130 (twice as expensive as the Midlands).

The Kenwood radio is a quality radio and small enough to fit in the oddiments box. The PTT kit comes with two PTT buttons and the hardware to mount one of the buttons on the bottom of the left handlebar using the "mirror" hole. The PTT button location is comfortable. The second PTT button is exactly the same as the first and supposedly can be mounted for passenger use. I haven't mounted the passenger PTT button because the reason that I go riding is so I don't have to talk to my wife (HaHa...don't tell her I said that!) My 2007 had two wires under the handlebar cover ready for the connection to the PTT button. My Voice II was factory installed though."
... end Snip

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #8 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks,
that is what I thought too! I think they made a mistake in the catalog. Looking at the drawing, I could not see where you could plug in another PTT for the passenger.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Re: PTT for the passenger (FOLLOW UP)

Appreciate the feedback from those of you that commented. I finally got an answer from North America BMW. Rather my dealership said they finally got an answer. And that answer is they are not making a PTT for the passenger and forgot to remove it from there catalog and website.

My dealer went to bat for me and have told me they will order a PTT (I think from J&M) and install it at no cost. I believe they will build or purchase a "Y" connector to hook it up.

I can't say enough about my dealer but for being new to BMW bikes, I am less than impressed with corporate. Took over a month just to get an answer.

Take care,

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

UPDATE: on Friday 03-19-10, I took my bike in and the dealer installed a PTT for the passenger. They installed the switch below the passenger volume control which looks to be the best place to put it. The dealer came through and now I shouldn't be getting any more headaches when my wife and I go out for a ride with friends :-)

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
UPDATE: on Friday 03-19-10, I took my bike in and the dealer installed a PTT for the passenger. They installed the switch below the passenger volume control which looks to be the best place to put it. The dealer came through and now I shouldn't be getting any more headaches when my wife and I go out for a ride with friends :-)
Is there a chance you could find out which part(s) they ordered from J&M? I am planning a CB installation also and want the passenger PTT as well.

My dealer told me last fall that the BMW CB was no longer available. Is yours the one mounted on the left handlebar or the Midland that goes in the oddments compartment?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Quote:
That is the standard location for the passenger PTT. It's there on any bike that has a BMW comm system installed.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 12:44 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
That is the standard location for the passenger PTT. It's there on any bike that has a BMW comm system installed.
Not true.

Voice II coms did not come with a passenger PTT.

I'm surprised the dealer custom mounted one and got it to work. Good for them.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #14 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 6:57 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Not true.

Voice II coms did not come with a passenger PTT.

I'm surprised the dealer custom mounted one and got it to work. Good for them.
The passenger PPT was installed by my Dealer when the bike was new (2000) & was put in the same spot by passenger volume

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2010, 8:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

The PTT circuit is a normally open 2 pole circuit, unless it's been changed from the BC3 system. Placing a passenger button is simply a matter of running the wires up the harness and tapping into the two wires coming off the drivers button.
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

They ordered a PTT from J&M but ended up using a different PTT that was mounted below the passenger volume. I purchased the BMW CB (made by J&M) that is mounted on the left handle bar.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 10th, 2010, 3:44 am

can anyone who has the PTT button mounted by the passenger volume control post a picture? I just finished installing the passenger headset jack by the power outlet on the drivers side of the trunk. On the back of the trim piece it showed two template patterns with indents to center the drill bit (nice touch BMW). So I took off the trim piece with the volume control and there is no template on the back showing were the PTT switch would go. I could also not find any connection leads under the seat. So I am sure I will be running a two conductor wire to the PTT connector in the handle bar. Now for the dumb question, I know the PTT button is for the FRS radio but is it also required just to speak between the rider and the passenger, or is it vox operated? Thanks for the reply's in advance.
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Garage

Most all comsystems are designed to be VOX activated for rider/pillion communication. On my BC3 the PTT can be used to side step the VOX. I.e. if I turn the vox all the way up due to (a) not wanting to hear the wife scream becasue I took a corner to low or (b) becasue of wind conditions. Touching the PTT opens the com for a breif two way communication then goes off!!!! As for the PTT, I am going to mount (yet another project) into one of the arm rests. easier for the SO to access. Normal OEM is opposite side of the snap jack on the rear box. Another option is below (to the rear) the seat, adjacent to the side case handle. You can see the plastic deck that runs under the top case.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in