Helmets and non-bluetooth to bluetooth conversion.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Question Helmets and non-bluetooth to bluetooth conversion..

I'm just curious what you may have in the way of helmets for intercom use?

I only have experience with the wired version of a flip up modular Nolan pair that came my and I have since sold them both because they were too small for normal sized people. My experience regardless was that as far as talking to the rider they were not necessary as even with a Remus exhaust the bike is quiet enough and I also preferred the sound from the speakers to that of those in the helmet. I'm not sure if this is the popular opinion or not. I also don't know if one can convert a non Bluetooth radio to a Bluetooth one or not but the cables were a pain as well.

I now find myself thinking about a CB and outside of that I probably would just use the speakers and leave well enough alone but I'd like some feedback.

I kept the wires and considered keeping the headsets but I wasn't sure how well the helmets would sell without them... turns out they didn't sell that well with them either....

So what do you have?

What did you pay and where?

Did you buy the headsets separately?

What did you pay and where?

Has anyone made a conversion from non-bluetooth to bluetooth? Can one change the radio out? When did they become bluetooth?

Thanks and everyone have a fabulous day!

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Re: Helmets and non-bluetooth to bluetooth conversion..

Jason,
I went with the Cardo Scala Rider Teamset (~$390)and have been very pleased with it so far. The speakers are a little weak, but I'm not looking to blow my eardrums out any more than the IEDs did in my last tour (right ear is almost deaf).....I can still hear the sound and receive (and hear/understand) phone calls (very short ones 'cause I don't like interrupting the ride). I've successfully linked to my phone and can plug into my Garmin and listen to music/the GPS directions/traffic alerts/FM radio while riding. I don't have a FRS or CB on my LT, so I can't help you there. What I have found is, several other riders who have Cardo with whom I can establish a B2B connection for comms on the road. I am looking at finding a BT link to my Zune or iPod (have both)....right it connects via wire down to a pocket in my jacket that I can click while riding to change songs. I preprogram my playlists to minimize the changes on the ride so I can focus on the road. Not sure if this helps.....but wanted to put my pitch in.
Enjoy the ride and the tunes!
Later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #3 of 4 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:11 am

I just wrote a post about this and my thoughts on BlueTooth in the helmet.

My PERSONAL opinion: I can't stand the thought of having to plug in my helmet(s) every night to keep my helmets charged, and the thought of them dying on a long ride?? NO thanks. Or are you going to blue tooth your helmet for sound, and still run a power cable to them to keep them charged?

Bluetooth is convenient to a degree, but you'll never match the sound of a hardwired helmet, nor be as convenient as a hardwired helmet

I bought two Nolan N103's just to be able to bluetooth them together, because I thought that was COOL.. (I'm somewhat of a tech geek) after thinking about it, and doing some research I said NO thanks.

I have a Zumo 550 hardwired to an Autocom Super Pro Avi, which is hardwired to my helmet. LOVE it. Phone bluetooths in, I have XM.. intercom works great, and if need be I can take calls and the sound is good.

Just my two cents.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Jason,
The speakers are a little weak, but I'm not looking to blow my eardrums out any more than the IEDs did in my last tour (right ear is almost deaf).....I
Later.
I predate your career a little bit.. But I too had a COOL ride albeit a little older.

I had one of the first M3's out of the factory. We still had the water barrier and could, and did swim them. Serial number of mine was 0000015 my partner(s) had SN 00000003 it still had the mount in the back for the motorcycle.

Anyways, welcome home.. glad to have you back.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in