Other compatible Cb's for an 04 LT with comm system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Question Other compatible Cb's for an 04 LT with comm system

I'm sure this may eventually get moved... but I thought it was fairly general in nature...

Are there any alternatives to dropping $450 on the BMW system?

I have an 04 with the com system and push to talk front and back....

I'm also missing my regular antenna so I'm just wondering what my option are in both regards.

Thanks in advance.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Re: Other compatible Cb's for an 04 LT with comm system

Jason...

GMRS... I have been on the back end of a CB... and it's an irritant. GMRS provides good, clear communication without all the hash and trash of normal CB. If you need it to talk to the truckers, then so be it. But if all you want is bike-to-bike that won't interrupt your Lady GaGa CD / iPod / MP3 / Satellite, then GMRS is the way to go...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #3 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

That part I understand... however, as a former truck driver who will spend much more time riding without the company of other riders.... and likely a passenger for that matter.... so talking to truckers would be nice.... I just don't want to drop a bunch of coin on something that isn't going to produce a quality communication of any kind.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:40 am

Garage

If I may...???
It really depends on two things. How much time you want to put into the project and how handy you are at figuring the dam bike and radio out...
I suspect because Mark replied you have the VoiceII. PITA I know. I have the BC3 and have helped Mark and myself make cables that will allow us to use a specific NON-BMW radio. They don't make it easy, let me tell you. That said, you are wanting to do the same thing. Hook a non-BMW radio to the bike to use the PTT and Audio through the comsystem, yes?
Get a hold of a handheld CB. Just make sure that it is geared for an external MIC/speaker. Having two (2.5/3.5mm) outputs would be ideal. Then its a simple (ya, right) issue of figuring out the connections. Use this as a reference....

After that, its just figuring out where to mount that beast....
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CONNECTIONS WILL NOT BE THE SAME ON OTHER RADIOS>>> THIS IS SPECIFIC TO ICOM F-21S

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 2:48 am Thread Starter

All good to know.... I'm not sure which radio I have... it is on an 04 and it has a CD and CD changer along with PTT setup.... I don't know if that narrows it down or not....

I also don't know which harness to order....

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #6 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

I am in the process of setting mine up right now with a Midland 75-822. I mounted it with dual-lock on the left side of the radio display. It fits very nicely there although it is upside down, a small nuisance in my opinion. The coiled cord fits nicely underneath the radio head and goes across to the right side where I have a power outlet installed by the headlight adjuster. I mounted my antenna which is a through-the-glass type on the right saddle bag so no holes to drill other than one for the cable which is routed next to the CD harness. I am waiting for the harness to connect it to the intercom system, might arrive today. I'll post the part number and let you know if it works. My backup plan is to use the midland headset if the interface cable doesn't work. I pulled the headband off and it velcros to the outside of the chin-bar and the microphone wraps around underneath. It definitely works.

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
I am in the process of setting mine up right now with a Midland 75-822. I mounted it with dual-lock on the left side of the radio display. It fits very nicely there although it is upside down, a small nuisance in my opinion. The coiled cord fits nicely underneath the radio head and goes across to the right side where I have a power outlet installed by the headlight adjuster. I mounted my antenna which is a through-the-glass type on the right saddle bag so no holes to drill other than one for the cable which is routed next to the CD harness. I am waiting for the harness to connect it to the intercom system, might arrive today. I'll post the part number and let you know if it works. My backup plan is to use the midland headset if the interface cable doesn't work. I pulled the headband off and it velcros to the outside of the chin-bar and the microphone wraps around underneath. It definitely works.
Fantastic. Thanks. I was just going to leave mine inside the cd compartment myself and either add on the BMW antenna or figure something out that will work for both the radio and the CB. I think someone on here did so.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Garage

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As it turns out I have a BC3 system. The speaker out function on the Midland 75-822 adapts to a Motorola FRS cable using a Radio Shack 3.5 male to 2.5 female mono adapter. The Kenwood FRS cable should do the same, the difference being the Motorola has a single 2.5 mm plug and the Kenwood has both a 2.5 and a 3.5 plug. So for now I can receive on the intercom but must use the headset microphone to transmit which is not too big a deal. More later I hope.

A question to Shoswell:
Is the green on the BC3 pin diagram the microphone? I presume the PTT is a normally open momentary switch. Correct?

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Jan 31st, 2010 at 12:04 am.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 1:53 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
A question to Shoswell:
Is the green on the BC3 pin diagram the microphone? I presume the PTT is a normally open momentary switch. Correct?
No, the green is simply a jumper. I found on the Icom, it was needed to allow everything to work properly. Something in the comsystem needs to trigger one of these to pins. The same is done for the other comsystems as you will see one split into two for the others as well. It was found in error as on my test loom, these two were touching. Then duplicated for the others. Believe me, (I think you understand) this was a problematic solution to find. a definite PITA. The Icom -F21 have two versions. The one my group rides with is the more complicated version of coarse....

I offer the schematic only as reference as any reference to either the BMW systems or the ICOM is a very difficult item to find...

I am right now hard wiring the connectors into a BC1 for another member.. This is so much fun aint it>>>>

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in