Autocom gone bust? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Autocom gone bust?

It appears, from the latest news in Britain, that Autocom, IMHO the best bike intercom company, has fallen victim to the recession. See http://forum.bmw-club.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16026

If true, and it appears that it is, this is really sad news. Excellent product, big niche market, top customer service, and so on, seem not to have been enough top keep the creditors from the door. I guess one can hope that a buyer is found to pick it up and re-launch.

Maybe part of the problem is that the product is just too good in this day and age of rapid obsolescence? Autocom had managed to maintain expertise and a supply of parts for their older systems, as well as continually upgrade what was on offer for new buyers. Apart from a little wear and tear on leads, I've had hardly any trouble with two systems, over ten years, and a system on an R1100RT before that. My previous KLT (1999) was the first K1200LT Autocom fitted with an intercom, at their base in Warwickshire, England.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Re: Autocom gone bust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundybus
Maybe part of the problem is that the product is just too good in this day and age of rapid obsolescence?
Just may be! My Autocom is still alive, and kicking strong ('01)!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:02 pm

I just spoke with Tony Starling at Starcom, they bought Autocom and will continue making the Autocom product . It will take about 2 weeks to get the inventory sorted out, and longer than that to get production going again. Just thought everyone would want to know. Kieth

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Good to hear, as I'm in the market for a higher-end intercom this spring.

So which one is better? Starcom1 digital or Autocom's best?

And when will Tony phase out one of the brands? Autocom's demise seemed like a slam-dunk for Starcom. Now he will need to support two competing brands...
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Quote:
So which one is better? Starcom1 digital or Autocom's best?
AKE is. I can prove it.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
AKE is. I can prove it.
I realize that you are trying to build your business but constantly speaking trash about your competitors turns some people off.

Everytime a comm system is mentioned you are the first to say something bad about the manuf mentioned.

No disrepect intended

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I put my vote in for Starcom, unit is smaller, very easy to set up and all for alot less $ than Autocom. Wife and I have used them for a couple of years with GMRS, GPS, Sat radio with no problems so far.
Larry
Note: we are using the Advance units not the digital unit.
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Garage

Humm? Seems that my AutoCom has given up, will the new owner offer any repair facilities?

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 7:41 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska
I realize that you are trying to build your business but constantly speaking trash about your competitors turns some people off.

Everytime a comm system is mentioned you are the first to say something bad about the manuf mentioned.

No disrepect intended
Plus 1

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 8:23 am

I am looking at the AKE products as well. They appear to be high quality units, on par with the other major European products. The promises made are very impressive.

With so many products and features presented, they really need to simplify their presentation. It would be really helpful to see a comparison summary chart of all features cross-tabbed by product and price.

I would also like to see an independent evaluation. The review at webbikeworld reads too much like it was written by one of the engineers at AKE. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the style and grammar reads too much like their brochures (and English as a second language).

Does anybody here have experience with their units they would like to share in a new thread?
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
I just spoke with Tony Starling at Starcom, they bought Autocom and will continue making the Autocom product . It will take about 2 weeks to get the inventory sorted out, and longer than that to get production going again. Just thought everyone would want to know. Kieth
That settles it for me, I guess. One channel of my Starcom Advance crapped out on the way to CCR last year; and I've been weighing buying another Starcom and reusing the headsets I already have installed in 4 helmets, or starting over with Autocom. Now analog or digital?

Motor On ,/'

post #12 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Quote:
I am sorry to offend Alaska; that was not my intent. If I may; Autocom and Starcom are established companies with many fans here. I respect that. I hope to culture that same enthusiasm. I do not believe that Starcom and Autocom are bad products. I do believe that what I offer is much, much better. That is what I meant by "I can prove it".

Still, I am a biker first. If I have crossed anyone I appologise. I see it as competition, and I will gladly conduct a bake-off to test these products side-by-side.

Quote:
With so many products and features presented, they really need to simplify their presentation
Your point is taken. Thank you. There are many options and it is confusing I know.

Beyond this I think I should move the discussion to my forum. I welcome your input. If you are in the market for anything that I carry, and you feel comfortable with allowing me to prove my technology, then I welcome the opportunity to earn your trust.

Lastly; I am one of you. I have ridden BMW's since the '70's. I support this forum.

Meaning that the only chance that I may have at any business lives and dies on my reputation here. I am very motivated.

Again, I mean no disrespect.

David Falkenstein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in