audio system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

audio system

I traded my Wing in for an '09 K1200 LT during bike week earlier this year. The one regret that I have is that the Wing had a superior sound system. My XM receiver was routed thru the Aux. button. My helmet speakers were wired and plugged into the system, allowing all volume to be controlled via the radio knob.

My LT came with the radio and a single disk player that isn't used. I want to be able to attach an XM receiver and be able to control the radio and XM sound level and also have them play directly into the helmet speakers.

I have searched the boards and saw that some folks have the Baehr unit. I never have a passenger and don't need any communication system to speak to other riders. I also don't need to use the phone while riding. I don't have Bluetooth. I ride to get away from all that. But I miss having the music of my choice playing.

So: what should I do? Any suggestions would be welcomed, please.

Paul

"What a long strange trip it's been."jg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Garage
Re: audio system

IIRC, if you have the Voice II system your options are limited, baring doing some sort of Dice/isimple install to the six disc connections. If you have something other than the Voice II you may have other options, that are just as complicated and PITA as the others. Most have had decent results (atleast for a while) with the Dice but its $$, I'd suggest the simple Aux cable install if you do not have the voice, but alas I have been scolded by a great wise one in Alabama, that the voice II does not allow this mod....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising01
I traded my Wing in for an '09 K1200 LT during bike week earlier this year. The one regret that I have is that the Wing had a superior sound system. My XM receiver was routed thru the Aux. button. My helmet speakers were wired and plugged into the system, allowing all volume to be controlled via the radio knob.

My LT came with the radio and a single disk player that isn't used. I want to be able to attach an XM receiver and be able to control the radio and XM sound level and also have them play directly into the helmet speakers.

I have searched the boards and saw that some folks have the Baehr unit. I never have a passenger and don't need any communication system to speak to other riders. I also don't need to use the phone while riding. I don't have Bluetooth. I ride to get away from all that. But I miss having the music of my choice playing.

So: what should I do? Any suggestions would be welcomed, please.

Paul
Do you have the factory Voice II installed? There would be a rotary controller mounted on top the CD/RADIO and front and rear headset jacks as well. If so installing XM is fairly easy. Mine is mounted on a bracket sitting on top the front brake hydraulic reservoir. Cables are run under the R/H handle bar covers. I picked up power from the map light over the instrument panel. I removed the R/H Tupperware and ran the audio cable along side the fuel tank. Then drilled a hole in the R/H side of the Oddments box and fished the cable inside. Then just plugged it into the AUX jack located on the Voice II controller. You can't change channels on the XM with the factory audio controls but you can adjust the volume. Works great for me.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 5:19 pm

I have an '03 LT with the factory sound system. I replaced the old 6 disc CD changer with a unit that allows me to connect my i-POD to the system and control everything from the factory controls. It's great to have a 5,000 songs or so on the i-POD. I can't ride without music.

I think the updated version of my interface unit is called the DICE. Google it and take a look. I firmly believe if you go for the factory unit, it will always be better than a generic off the shelf unit. Just my opinion from riding six years with all the music I desire.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Use an FM coupler

If you cannot get it running using the Aux input, try this:

I have Sirius receivers in my bike and cars hooked up using FM couplers. That device is officially called "FM Relay".

Search the accessories for your XM radio, I'd assume they have a similar device - it may be only available for particular models of radio. Your XM radio must have a wired FM output.

The FM Relay plugs in-line into the bike radio antenna. When the Sirius receiver is powered up, the FM Relay routes the receiver's output into the bike's radio as a regular FM signal. When the Sirius receiver is off, normal over-the-air signals are let through the radio.

Note that this is not the same as the "wireless" FM output of the satellite radio (some offer that function). That output is a weak through-the-air signal that does not require direct coupling, but is subject to interference by electronic noise or by an actual nearby radio station on similar frequency.

PM me if you decide to go that route and need installation hints (there is a trick needed for the Motorola antenna plug).

EDIT: I just did a quick Google search for "XM FM Relay" and a lot of these showed up. at about $15.

Good luck.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Dec 26th, 2009 at 5:30 pm.
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

thanks foer the suggestions, guys. Sadly, my '09 LT has no Voice system at all. Just the radio, and the single cd player under the lid. I wrote to Daytona BMW, where I bought the bike. No reply so far. Am I going to need to get a Baehr comm. system or something similar? I ride enough for it to be worth it, I guess.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Paul

post #7 of 16 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising01
thanks foer the suggestions, guys. Sadly, my '09 LT has no Voice system at all. Just the radio, and the single cd player under the lid. I wrote to Daytona BMW, where I bought the bike. No reply so far. Am I going to need to get a Baehr comm. system or something similar? I ride enough for it to be worth it, I guess.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Paul
Not familiar with an '09 w/o a com system....But IIRC, you may be able to use the AUX cable I suggested earlier. When you toggle threw the sound system controls (i.e. am, fm weather) does it come up with an "AUX"? If so your in the money..I think!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #8 of 16 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Sound system

Happy New Year, all.
A few weeks ago, I posted the following: "I traded my Wing in for an '09 K1200 LT during bike week earlier this year. The one regret that I have is that the Wing had a superior sound system. My XM receiver was routed thru the Aux. button. My helmet speakers were wired and plugged into the system, allowing all volume to be controlled via the radio knob.

So: what should I do? Any suggestions would be welcomed, please."

I received several responses, and they are appreciated, but they don't resolve the problem. Daytona BMW never returned my messages, so I've been looking at different things suggested by friends. Right now I'm wondering about the Star Com 1(Digital). Does anybody reading this have any experience with them?

I like the fact that you can get a unit for a single rider, and that it also has a volume control. Though I don't know if an amplifier would be needed.

Any comments?

Paul

post #9 of 16 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Sound system

Your LT should have an AUX input jack in the oddments box. If so, you can plug your XM in that port and have similar function as before. Assume you have the BMW helmet jacks? If no helmet connection on the LT, I'd seriously look at the Autocom unit. Compact, trouble-free, great sound, etc.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #10 of 16 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 4:53 pm

I have the starcom system that i swap between the Lt and gs.
It works very well on the Lt but lacks volume on the gs at higher speeds.
Slade
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 5:48 pm

I have the Starcom1 Digital it works very well as well as the Voice II for am/fm/cd I tied the Starcom into the rear speakers for Volume control I have my 550 gps/XM plugged in as well as my Ipod the entire setup works very well.

There are other systems out there some more expensive some less I found this system to be a good balance between the two

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 8:44 pm

I installed a Delphi XM radio with FM modulator and tune FM radio to a preset station
like (106.9). The volume and sound work really great. I have a radar detecter mounted on the top of the front break reservoir. The XM antenna mounted to it. Works great anywhere. Mountains trees etc.
post #13 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Try a Autocom, you will be able to control the volume from you radio via the knob on the handlebar, You should be able to plug your sat radio into the aux input. If you cannot the in line FM modulator works very nicely. Kieth
post #14 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Autocom would be a great soulution for the problem, if your going that way go quick as the mother ship Autocom Ltd. is Tango Uniform. soon to be no more.

R1200RT
MSF RiderCoach
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Garage

Just came across your post and subsequent repost. If all you are attempting to do is get your XM set up connected you have two options. Both of which are suggested above. The easiest (although both require the removal of Tupperware) is the “FM relay”. It would simply plug in-line with the AM/FM antenna under the stingray or aft at the antenna mount. The other is the Auxiliary Audio Input Kit", p/n 82 11 0 149 389. Assuming that you have the "aux" option on the stock radio. While some state that you need an in-line amp (here) to use this mod, I find with my IPod at max volume is more than suffice.

While both suggestions are good, you will want what works best. Both will do what you want to accomplish, chiefly control the volume from the handlebar…. As for your comm. System questions, Autocom, baer and starcom have good reviews and several loyal owners on the forum. They all have their pro’s and some have little con’s. But the reason to go this route is to allow for communications.. Whether it be with others, pillion or gadgets…the bad part is the $$ investment..

Just my $.03

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Jan 7th, 2010 at 5:18 pm.
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2010, 5:06 pm

If I can be of help, Fell free to call.

Cohesive Technology

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in