BMW Comm phone cord - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 1:30 am Thread Starter

Red face BMW Comm phone cord

I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere on the site, so I apologize in advance for the question: Does anyone know where to get a phone cord for the BMW Comm system? It needs the regular phone plug end (for the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=31&k=cell%20phone" onmouseover="window.status='cell phone'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cell phone</a>) and a smaller end for the Comm system. I've had the BMW Comm system installed for about a year now and I have never used the phone option- which is ironic since that's why I got the system in the first place!

Help!

Last edited by Travis; Oct 4th, 2005 at 1:31 am. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:14 am

To Whom it may concern

Most BMW dealers have them or can order it in.
I dont have the part number off hand though.
They also come in 2 different lengths. Depending
on what type of cell phone you use , you might need
an adaptor.

BTW... please fill in your user profile so we dont have to
address you as... To whom it may concern

Cheers

Ed Bruce
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:59 am

Smile Cell phone patch cord

Actually, the cord is a 2.5 mm connector on both ends. While searching the internet to locate someone who carried such a cord and then looking at Radio Shack, I concluded that I might as well bite the bullet and order one from my dealer (he didn't have them in stock.) So I ordered it. Since then, I're read all the posts about other intercomm systems and concluded I was asking the wrong questions to Google and might have located one from one of these other vendors (IntaRide for one). Anyway, you could build your own by getting the parts at Radio Shack, but I took the easy way out since I don't really have a work bench to do quality electronics cable building.

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Precise cord for cell phone

I think the cord is the regular cel phone cord on one end and a smaller plug on the other end that plugs into the VOICE I.
post #5 of 24 Old May 29th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I just use a standard stereo cable with 1/8" male jacks plugged into a 1/8" to 3/32" adapter on each end. Got it all at Radio Shack and it works great. I'd prefer a stereo cable with 3/32" male jacks on each end but they don't carry them.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #6 of 24 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere on the site, so I apologize in advance for the question: Does anyone know where to get a phone cord for the BMW Comm system? It needs the regular phone plug end (for the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=31&k=cell%20phone" onmouseover="window.status='cell phone'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cell phone</a>) and a smaller end for the Comm system. I've had the BMW Comm system installed for about a year now and I have never used the phone option- which is ironic since that's why I got the system in the first place!

Help!
Travis,
I have the package that my cord came in. The numbers on the envelope are, and I'll give you all of them.

Cell Phone adapter
D224346
B08 01 3
99 99 0 000 203
F204837

Is this not confusing...

It's interesting how mine works. I hear a quick three beeps, then I say hello and I start talking to whoever is calling. I tried talking with my open face helmet on but couldn't hear that well, but with my full face I can talk and hear quite clearly and have done this at 60 mph and more. It also automatically stops the radio or CD from playing. Once you get used to it, it's very cool. Get someone to call you a few times so you can get used to it.

Cheers, Bill
post #7 of 24 Old May 30th, 2006, 12:51 am

Radio cord

Quote:

Help!
Travis,
I have the package that my cord came in. The numbers on the envelope are, and I'll give you all of them.

Cell Phone adapter
D224346
B08 01 3
99 99 0 000 203
F204837

Is this not confusing...

It's interesting how mine works. I hear a quick three beeps, then I say hello and I start talking to whoever is calling. I tried talking with my open face helmet on but couldn't hear that well, but with my full face I can talk and hear quite clearly and have done this at 60 mph and more. It also automatically stops the radio or CD from playing. Once you get used to it, it's very cool. Get someone to call you a few times so you can get used to it.

Cheers, Bill
post #8 of 24 Old May 31st, 2006, 10:25 pm

Wink

I have a comm system on my 2001 LT. It's a fabulous addition to the bike. With the phone plugged in and set to auto answer, the system will automatically mute the radio or cd when the phone rings. All you do is speak and hear.

The wire that connects the phone to the comm system is readily available at Chicago BMW (best prices on accessories and parts) or from Cyclegadgets.com.
post #9 of 24 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 4:15 pm

What phone manufacture are you using? I have a 2002 K1200LTE with the BC2 system. The caller hears a humming noise. I am using a Sony Ericsson phone.

Any ideas what could be causing the noise?
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:58 am

Verizon Razr Phone Adapter to BMW Comm System

Quote:

Help!

Travis:

I'm a new owner here in NYC---was wondering if you ever got your issue resolved concerning the phone connection. I have a Verizon Razr phone and it needs 2.5mm plug-to-plug or single the mini-USB cord on one end and the 2.55 micro plug on the other. Can't seem to find them anywhere!

Also, it's good to see an LT owner from the area I grew up in! Ride safe!
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:56 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
What phone manufacture are you using? I have a 2002 K1200LTE with the BC2 system. The caller hears a humming noise. I am using a Sony Ericsson phone.

Any ideas what could be causing the noise?
You will need to move your phone farther from the comm system. I was ok if mine was about 8" away but got noise if it was next to the system.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Backordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBruce
To Whom it may concern

Most BMW dealers have them or can order it in.
I dont have the part number off hand though.
They also come in 2 different lengths. Depending
on what type of cell phone you use , you might need
an adaptor.

BTW... please fill in your user profile so we dont have to
address you as... To whom it may concern

Cheers
I've had both sizes on back order for two weeks, and just spoke the dealer...no delivery date anticipated. In fact he said that BMW has these on backorder from their subcontractor. It could be another week, it could be months. Looks like it's time for a trip to Radio Shack.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbri
I have a comm system on my 2001 LT. It's a fabulous addition to the bike. With the phone plugged in and set to auto answer, the system will automatically mute the radio or cd when the phone rings. All you do is speak and hear.

The wire that connects the phone to the comm system is readily available at Chicago BMW (best prices on accessories and parts) or from Cyclegadgets.com.
Thanks! I'll take a look!

Gary Bowler
2006 K1200LT Magnesium Black
70 West 93rd St., #30E
New York, NY 10025-0012
(212) 222-6433

post #14 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Angry Where to get universal cord???

I have been pulling my hair out over the cell phone cord for weeks now. I attempted to make my own cord using connectors from Radio Shack. I'm actually decent with soldering, but the connectors are so small that I can't get a good joint without melting the plastic. Two bad cables later, I gave up on that approach.

I'm seeing the BMW part numbers here and there, but I can't figure out which one is the "universal" cord that has a male 3/32" (2.5mm) stereo plug at each end. Don't want to order one, wait for months and get the wrong part.

I ordered what I thought was the right cable from cyclegadgets.com, only to receive a cable with a 3/32 on one end and 1/8 on the other. Called them up to find out they don't even have a cable with 3/32 on both ends.

So I just picked up the 1/8-3/32 adapter from Radio Shack, figuring I would at last be done. NOT!!! The adapter makes the rigid part of the cable so long, it won't fit in the oddments box with my cell phone, regardless of whether I plug the adapter end into the intercom or into the phone.

I can't believe that there is not some cheap source of a cable online somewhere. All my usual sources have tons of computer cables and home theater cables, but no 3/32" stereo male on both ends.

Anyone have any ideas??

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #15 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 2:00 pm

has anyone ever used the nextel I730 with the voice 11, I have not been able to locate a cable or any help from bmw the dealer on this and the nextel store I went to had no clue, anybody have any idea's.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #16 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:24 am

I just purchased a new LT and am having the same problem. The only cable that the dealer has is a three foot cable. Radio Shack carries a 6 foot cable, but, as other have noted it only comes with the larger plugs. The other problem with using the system they way they want you to is that the phone must be in the auto answer mode. My dealer carries a bracket that fits in the mirror mounting holes. It's perfect for a phone but you need a 6 foot cord. Looks like it's either using adapters or making the cable.
post #17 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:48 pm

I just posted a reply and then found the cable at yourcablestore.com The address is yourcablestore.3dcartstores.com the part number is HP 2 M-M 6. it is a 6 foot sub-mini to sub-mini cable. Hope that helps.
post #18 of 24 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:02 am

Hi Guys,

So.. I got the mini usb to 2.5 socket adaptor for my motorola razr V3, also got the mini to mini lead. I plugged it in to my voice comm2 system, it's setup for phone on. Phone call gets recognized as incoming, music cuts out, then nothing. Anyone have any ideas? BTW phone is setup for autoanswer, and the J&M headset is working fine with everything else, GPS, radio, aux.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #19 of 24 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 5:55 pm

Cool Stereo Vs Mono Jacks

Tony, check to see if you are maybe mixing mono and stereo connectors with the adapter you have. I can't recall for sure, but believe that you need only mono jacks for the phone to comm sys cable. Also be aware of polarity between both ends of the cable.

HTH,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makzimia
Hi Guys,

So.. I got the mini usb to 2.5 socket adaptor for my motorola razr V3, also got the mini to mini lead. I plugged it in to my voice comm2 system, it's setup for phone on. Phone call gets recognized as incoming, music cuts out, then nothing. Anyone have any ideas? BTW phone is setup for autoanswer, and the J&M headset is working fine with everything else, GPS, radio, aux.

Cheers,

Tony

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #20 of 24 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellM5
I just use a standard stereo cable with 1/8" male jacks plugged into a 1/8" to 3/32" adapter on each end. Got it all at Radio Shack and it works great. I'd prefer a stereo cable with 3/32" male jacks on each end but they don't carry them.
Attached is a picture of the BMW phone cord that works in the Voice II. It is about 18 inches long and is nice because it has the proper right angle connectors on each end. I got it from Chicago BMW. I think there is a shorter version available too that is about 6 inches long if I recall correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Phone Cord.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	16174  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #21 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Tony, check to see if you are maybe mixing mono and stereo connectors with the adapter you have. I can't recall for sure, but believe that you need only mono jacks for the phone to comm sys cable. Also be aware of polarity between both ends of the cable.

HTH,

John
Hi John, the BMW connector pictured in message above, is basically what I have, except without the nice right angles . It, as you can see is also stereo each end. Perhaps using both the Aux input and the phone input is an issue?. I am going to try again without Ipod going, will see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #22 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:30 am

Angry Doh!

I guess a stereo cable would work better for carrying two distinct signals, huh? Transmit & Receive! And to think that I even wired up my own cable and forgot about the jacks being stereo. I should have just gone out to the Bike and looked.

Good Luck Tony,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makzimia
Hi John, the BMW connector pictured in message above, is basically what I have, except without the nice right angles . It, as you can see is also stereo each end. Perhaps using both the Aux input and the phone input is an issue?. I am going to try again without Ipod going, will see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Tony

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #23 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:17 pm

Phone connections

Just a thought but have you been able to check the phone and a headset on their own? It could be an adaptor for one of the new RZR phones that are also music players in which case the plug will be 4 ring - Right/Left/Ground/Mic and not neccersaliy in that order (I don't know) as these headsets are stereo with mic.

Might be worth checking.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #24 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 7:13 pm

Talking working phone :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Just a thought but have you been able to check the phone and a headset on their own? It could be an adaptor for one of the new RZR phones that are also music players in which case the plug will be 4 ring - Right/Left/Ground/Mic and not neccersaliy in that order (I don't know) as these headsets are stereo with mic.

Might be worth checking.
Hi Graham, I actually do have an older stereo plug type headset, used it confirmed it was working. I then went out to the bike, plugged in with system, got my son to phone me, I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me. OK, here is the lesson, RTFM!!! I had the comm system turned off for rider to passenger, I presume that is the circle to circle symbol. I presumed that was just for talking to the passenger, however!, it is required to be turned on for the phone. Anyway, to end my long winded reply, it all works!.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in