BMW intercom squeal in heavy rain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

BMW intercom squeal in heavy rain

I'm going to try this here too - go little traffic and no replies in the Gadgets forum...

All,
tried the search but nothing turned up. We took our new-to-us 2002 LTE on the first long trip and everything was great except that the intercom system stopped working in heavy rain. We went through some pretty strong storms on our way back from OR and after about 5 min in heavy rain the intercom started to produce a continuous, loud squealing sound which could only be silenced by unplugging both helmets. Everything worked fine when plugging them back in after the rain had passed.
Anyone had this problem? I reckon there is water getting into something and shorting it out. Don't want to take everything apart - is there a place where water gets in easy?
Thanks for your help,
Frank

The Universe is expanding at 74.2 km/sec/Mpc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Re: BMW intercom squeal in heavy rain

Most likely the helmet connections themselves getting wet...

Then you get feedback....

Spray some WD40 into them and that'll displace the water.

Put the connector inside your jacket if you can and that'll help keep it dry..

Seal any other connections with a little bit of RTV and that'll keep those dry as well.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:11 pm

I had the same problem with my first 03 LT. At that time BMW had J&M make their intercoms. We checked every connection and could not find a problem. The problem would intermittently happen from time to time, rain to no rain. I ended up speaking with J&M directly and they repaired the intercom at no charge, I have no idea what they did but the problem never occurred again. If your intercom came with the bike then I'm guessing your 02 has a J&M system, you might try contacting them directly. I would doubt the problem is with the head set connections, I've been through all kinds of weather with the same headsets and have never had the problem again. I would pull the tupperware off the left side and make sure all the DIN connectors are clean and wrapped with electrical tape. (along side of radio above gas tank) You also have a few under the passenger seat. Not to knock on anybodies home remedies but after working with electronics and electrical equipment for the last 20 years WD40 would be the last thing I would use in electrical connections, that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

Have fun.

Will Hedgspeth

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 5:46 am

I don't have the BMW intercom but, rather, have the Intarride system. When my bride doesn't ride for a while (measure using the calendar), corrosion tends to build-up on the connectors and creates a squeal when she first plugs in. After removing/reinstalling a few times, the squeal goes away.

Water intrusion seems to be your problem, as the others have mentioned.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkswan
I had the same problem with my first 03 LT. At that time BMW had J&M make their intercoms. We checked every connection and could not find a problem. The problem would intermittently happen from time to time, rain to no rain. I ended up speaking with J&M directly and they repaired the intercom at no charge, I have no idea what they did but the problem never occurred again. If your intercom came with the bike then I'm guessing your 02 has a J&M system, you might try contacting them directly. I would doubt the problem is with the head set connections, I've been through all kinds of weather with the same headsets and have never had the problem again. I would pull the tupperware off the left side and make sure all the DIN connectors are clean and wrapped with electrical tape. (along side of radio above gas tank) You also have a few under the passenger seat. Not to knock on anybodies home remedies but after working with electronics and electrical equipment for the last 20 years WD40 would be the last thing I would use in electrical connections, that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

Have fun.

Will Hedgspeth
Thanks Will. I will shoot them an email. I just cleaned and checked all connections by the radio under the tupperware before the trip they were/are fine.
Frank

The Universe is expanding at 74.2 km/sec/Mpc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in