Please Help - Baehr and Zumo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Please Help - Baehr and Zumo

The Facts: 2003 K1200LT with a Baehr K1200 LT Communication System, J&M Helmet Communication System with hard-wiring to the Baehr.

Adding a Garmin Zumo 660 on a BMR Co-Pilot Shelf and I use an Apple iPhone 3Gs.

I have powered the Zumo wiring harness directly to the battery. There are three other connections to be connected: one a mini-USB for traffic receiver (which I doubt that I will use), a mic-in plug 2.5mm, and an audio out 3.5mm.

My questions are:

1) How do I connect the Zumo to the Baehr? I assume I need to have the mic-out feature connected to use the J&M microphone on my helmet to use the bluetooth feature on the Zumo as it is paired with the iPhone. I also assume that the audio out also has to be connected to the Baehr in order for me to hear directional voice prompts through the J&M speakers in the helmet.

2) Where do I route the cables for the connection ends? I have assumed running them under tank, with the connections to be accessible under the seat for easy access to the Baehr. Are there things that I am missing or have not considered? Can the aforementioned devices be connected and controled via the Baehr?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to go back together with the bike.

Thank you all in advance for your expert tutelage.

John
BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 8:28 am

Garage
Re: Please Help - Baehr and Zumo

The connection is in the cradle itself just above the power cable. You have to buy a cable that connect to the Zumo to the Beahr unit. I ran mine up and through the oddiment box. When I'm nit using the GPS, I simply leave it coiled up in the glove box.

I found these pictures on line from another board member: http://www.viajareua.com

The plug on the mount are below the little rubber flap here:

I have mine installed the same way but I'm using a ram mount to raise it up off the dash a few inches. My cables are routed the same way:

Mine wires are tucked down a little bit more so that they're not so obvious.

As for your Iphone, you can connect Baehr to it via bluetooth but you will need to purchase another wire so that you can talk via the microphone. You can listen but not talk.

I ordered my cable right from National Cycles before they decided to drop the line. You can order them from fellow board member Raffy or from Cyclegadegts.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Last edited by RVB1019; Aug 15th, 2009 at 8:40 am.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Rob,

I very much appreciate your response.

Regarding the cable you received from National Cycle; Is it just a 3.5mm male/male cable? if so, where does it connect to the Baehr? My understanding (as clouded as it may be) is that the Baehr has to have a multi-pin connector on the Baehr end and that the cable will have a 3.5mm male mini-pin connector on the Zumo end.

This would accomplish the connection for the audio-out from the Zumo 660, but would not allow for any Bluetooth connection from the Baehr to the Zumo. There is a hard-wired mic-out wire from the Zumo, but I cannot figure where or how that can connect to the Baehr.

Additionally, I would assume that a Bluetooth module would be necessary on the Baehr, if it were to connect via BT to the Zumo. Further, I would expect that a Bluetooth dongle would be required to connect to my helmet if I were to expect to loose the hard-wire to the helmet.

Right now I would be satisfied to just get the microphone and speakers in the helmet to transmit and receive while using the hard-wire.

The Zumo 660 mount does not have the rubber flap on the mount, rather the connections for the audio out, microphone in, and mini-USB are all on the wiring harness.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please jump in as I am really confused at this point.

Thank you again.....

John

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:22 pm

I have the Zumo 550 running through a K1200 Baehr unit. I have a blackberry that runs via bluetooth through the Zumo. Baehr makes a special cable for the Zumo, with both the microphone and headphone/speaker connection. I had to add a special Zumo/Baehr noise suppressor, which cut the volume too much, but got rid of the noise. So I added a boosteroo, which makes lots of volume, and everything works great together. I can receive and place phone calls on the zumo, and all the two-way stuff works fine. My wife hates having to listen to my phone calls, but that's the price we pay for long distance touring...

both baehr items found here:

http://www.baehrusa.com/Cables_ULTIMAXL.html
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 8:05 am

Or you could check with Baehr GmbH (in Germany), to see if their new Bluetooth adapter (that will work with the Zumo) is in production yet.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baehr_Bluetooth.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24164  

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:02 am

Garage

Hmmmmmmmmm................$316 ish or $65 bucks. Call me cheap but the extra $250 can buy a ton more gas!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in