Re: What is the perfect electronic farkle?
NOT Garmin please.... They are already an obscenely expensive quasi-monopoly and do not provide much in terms of programming and customizing layer. Great devices, not so great software...
Here is what I would like (and I have much of it either done or underway):
1) BMW to create actual customizing ports built-in. Pre-wiring, ports for hardware, little bit of space under fairing, etc, so it does not look like some monstrous hybrid by the time the assembly is done. In particular, built in spots of satellite reception, for radar detector probes, etc...
2) No radio, no CD, no tape. Those are all so 20th century..
3) Everything wireless, using wifi and bluetooth (wifi is preferable to BT wherever possible if there is enough power, provides more range and more bandwidth throughput)
- GPS: No Garmin. I want a device running Streets and Trips 2010 with their GPS. Ideally that would be through a small LCD screen that would mount flush on the dashboard, or even better the future dashboards will be small LCD screens with ability to customize what is shown.
- Spot (Spot needs to license its technology/service to be used on other hardware, or to build a better device; space is at a premium and having a device solely for alert is a luxury; makes no sense to have 2 GPS receivers, should be part of the same device or app.
- Zune HD integration
- Mobile phone integration
- Sirius or XM integration
Note I am saying integration, not all in one. I need to be able to move my stuff around.
5) Bike to bike and driver to passenger in wireless (I don't use but there is a huge demand)
6) Wireless headset/microphone
7) controls on the handlebars
8) charging instrumentation in the top bag