Communication Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:30 am Thread Starter

Communication Issues

I've been trying to get the Commo system on my '08 LT for work for two years. The issue is the 2.5 mm male plug from the iPhone that goes in to the Commo unit. We've tried two units and have the same issue with both.

The only way the system will work is if the plug from the phone is held in just the right position against the Commo unit. Any movement of the plug and the phone disconnects.

Has anybody gotten their phones to work with the Commo unit? If so, how did you overcome this issue. I can't believe that both Commo units we've tried are defective.

No response from BMW NA although the local dealer has been trying to fix the problem.

Rgds./Doug

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'05 K1200LT - Totaled from deer strike
'03 K1200LT - Traded
'71 TR6C (Original Owner) - Sold

IBA #27517 Blue Knights #44263
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:55 am

Garage
Re: Communication Issues

Are you using a stereo (3 pole) or mono (2 pole) connector. if you are using a mono, the voice pins may not match up "just" right. a visit to the local radio shack would be my next adventure. less than $3 to check if that is it.

Just my 2 cents

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 1:43 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Hi Doug,

I don't know much about the "Commo system" (is that the BMW unit?)
What kind of plug are you trying to adapt. (mini stereo, sub-mini, mono?)

On my 2002 comm system I had to adapt a stereo mini 2.5mm to a sub-mini mono. (for the newer GPS)

I found a pre-made adapter at radio shack. BUT if you are adapting an iPhone, and you want to talk on it, you may need to use a triple ring mini and solder it to make it a mono or stereo plug. Unfortunately with out seeing the system and playing with it, it would be hard to tell.

Good Luck

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLaird
I've been trying to get the Commo system on my '08 LT for work for two years. The issue is the 2.5 mm male plug from the iPhone that goes in to the Commo unit. We've tried two units and have the same issue with both.

The only way the system will work is if the plug from the phone is held in just the right position against the Commo unit. Any movement of the plug and the phone disconnects.

Has anybody gotten their phones to work with the Commo unit? If so, how did you overcome this issue. I can't believe that both Commo units we've tried are defective.

No response from BMW NA although the local dealer has been trying to fix the problem.

Rgds./Doug
Doug,
The standard cellphone headset connection is a 2.5mm (3/32"), 3 conductor Tip, Ring, Sleeve (TRS) jack/plug. The sleeve is the common ground, ring is the earphone and tip is the microphone. The iPhone (I think) uses a 3.5mm (1/8"), 4 conductor jack/plug that is recessed into the case a bit, providing both the phone mic connections and stereo headphone connections. Tip is left audio, ring 1 is right audio, ring 2 is common ground and sleeve is the mic. You will need an adapter cable to convert the iPhone connection to a standard cellphone connection. To make things worse, Apple used a recessed jack on the phone, so standard plugs will not fit correctly (forcing you to buy their accessories). A google search should turn up several options like this one:
http://www.americanesuperstore.com/pcapliphonehfa2.html

Good Luck...
-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Garage

Just by happenstance came accross your solve if you have the older system.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....AC19-BCS&PF=40

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: Communication Issues

I use the Apple TTY 3.5 plug (4 lugs) in to the iPhone and then connect the standard 2.5 plug in to the TTY and then plug the other end in to the BMW Commo unit.

If the male plug, going in to the Commo unit is held just right, and not moved, the iPhone works perfectly UNTIL there is movement of the plug going in to the Commo unit.

The local BMW shop has replaced the Commo unit once already and we have the same issue with both units.

Has anybody else had this issue? I can't believe that I'm the only person having problems with not one but two BMW Commo units.

Comments and/or suggestions appreciated as I'd really like to use my mobile phone on the bike. Friends with Wings, and those with BMWs using Zumo GPS have no problems and can even use Bluetooth - not so with the outdated BMW LT Commo units. Expensive junk in my opinion, BMW should be embarrassed. Even HD has better Commo units.

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'05 K1200LT - Totaled from deer strike
'03 K1200LT - Traded
'71 TR6C (Original Owner) - Sold

IBA #27517 Blue Knights #44263
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLaird
I use the Apple TTY 3.5 plug (4 lugs) in to the iPhone and then connect the standard 2.5 plug in to the TTY and then plug the other end in to the BMW Commo unit.

If the male plug, going in to the Commo unit is held just right, and not moved, the iPhone works perfectly UNTIL there is movement of the plug going in to the Commo unit.

The local BMW shop has replaced the Commo unit once already and we have the same issue with both units.

Has anybody else had this issue? I can't believe that I'm the only person having problems with not one but two BMW Commo units.

Comments and/or suggestions appreciated as I'd really like to use my mobile phone on the bike. Friends with Wings, and those with BMWs using Zumo GPS have no problems and can even use Bluetooth - not so with the outdated BMW LT Commo units. Expensive junk in my opinion, BMW should be embarrassed. Even HD has better Commo units.
Perhaps it is the headphone detect problem? See:
http://ryanspoon.com/blog/2009/02/03...es-how-to-fix/

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in