Autocom replacement speakers? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Autocom replacement speakers?

I seem to recall reading somewhere about replacing the speakers that come with the Autocom with some from Radio Shack.. but search as I will I can't find the reference. Can anyone point me to it?

I'm trying to get a volume boost. When I wear earplugs, I can just barely hear my BMW Zumo 550 or the intercom or cell phone calls. I have the volume cranked in the Zumo (yes, in both places) and in the Autocom (is it an English thing to rotate counter-clockwise to increase volume?). Anyway, I'm running out of ideas without going to expensive in-ear speakers which I simply can't afford at the moment. Any help getting more punch out of this setup would be much appreciated.

I recall, as I said, a thread about the Radio Shack speakers sounding much better, but I don't recall if loudness was also improved?

TIA,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:13 pm

Re: Autocom replacement speakers?

Get the "titanium" driver headset... strip out the speakers and wire into the helmet wiring....

When i did it, the Radio Shack gal asked if I wanted 'warranty' on the headset... hahaha. I said "no thanks".
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Wow, that was quick.. thanks!

I'll look for these Titanium jobs. Much appreciated!

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There is also an internal modification that can be made to the AutoCom. It requires replacing two surface mounted resistors with two of different value.

Upon the advise of the very kind folks at AutoCom, I performed the mod today, and I am very "happy camper" I highly recommend this mod if you're having trouble with the audio level of a cell phone etc. My only regret waiting so long...

John
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVRx7
There is also an internal modification that can be made to the AutoCom. It requires replacing two surface mounted resistors with two of different value.

Upon the advise of the very kind folks at AutoCom, I performed the mod today, and I am very "happy camper" I highly recommend this mod if you're having trouble with the audio level of a cell phone etc. My only regret waiting so long...

John
That sounds like just the ticket, John! I'll give them a call. My problem is that when wearing earplugs, I can't quite make out the GPS prompts, or my wife on the intercom, or someone on a cell phone. I just need more gain.

Thanks!
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTrev
That sounds like just the ticket, John! I'll give them a call. My problem is that when wearing earplugs, I can't quite make out the GPS prompts, or my wife on the intercom, or someone on a cell phone. I just need more gain.

Thanks!
Quite welcome, check with
Doug Sant
Service Manager
Autocom Products Ltd
Unit 4 Tachbrook Link
Tachbrook Park Drive
Warwick
CV34 6RH
email is doug.sant (at) autocom.co.uk

Since they're in the UK, don't forget to allow for the time difference
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:55 am

Quote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere about replacing the speakers that come with the Autocom with some from Radio Shack.. but search as I will I can't find the reference. Can anyone point me to it?
I wrote up my headphonectomy in this thread. Looks like radio shack has changed the part number since that post, so here's a new link to the headphones that look exactly like the ones I used: Koss KTXPRO1 Stereophone Portable Headphones, and they're even cheaper now! I just got a new dual sport helmet -- time to get another set of these and add the autocom headset to it too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks much.. with all this info I'm sure I'll have a working solution in no time!
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Just a thought, but I happen to have a set of Sennheiser HD555 headphones that I could sacrifice to the cause. Does anyone happen to know if the speakers from those would be as good as the titanium ones for this purpose?

They're a sealed ear design, so perhaps the speakers aren't as well suited to a helmet application? I'm not even sure if they'd physically fit. Hate to take it apart unless I'm going to actually try it. Might never get them back together again.
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 8:59 am

You'll love the Titanium speakers. They're especially good installed in a Scorpion helmet, which is designed to have a headset installed in it. A little cutting (nothing structural) required to install the boom mic, but very nice when you're done.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
-Einstein
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Just a thought, but I happen to have a set of Sennheiser HD555 headphones that I could sacrifice to the cause. Does anyone happen to know if the speakers from those would be as good as the titanium ones for this purpose?
I don't think there's any way to know without trying them. When I was doing mine I did try plugging in a couple of sets of headphones at the store, explicitly to compare the volume produced. The Koss Titanium ones were the loudest with the same input.

The nice think about the Koss units we've been mentioning is that the speakers themselves are fairly thin once removed from the plastic, but still in a sturdy case. I've got some Sennheiser HD515's right here, and I poked my finger around in them a bit. It feels like the speakers are quite large, I doubt they'd fit, and the fronts of them feel like the cone isn't protected at all. Volume might be an issue as well, the Sennheisers sound great, but they're a covered over-the-ear design and so fidelity was probably the goal more than pure volume.

post #12 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks.. looks like it's the Titanium!
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Still waiting for the Radio Shack titanium headphones to appear.

But, I had something happen the other day that gave me an idea. Traffic was moving at about 80, and it was super hot, so I opened the face shield a bit and for the first time ever really heard the GPS prompts get super loud compared to normal. My guess is that although I put the noise sensor where they said to for the Shoei Multitec helmet, it's not triggering it. I just assumed it must be a fairly subtle effect, but it actually might be useful for my dilemma of hearing through the ear plugs.

This led me to wonder.. what would happen if I removed the noise detector pickup completely. So I tried that and found no difference. The other option might be to short those two pins together. I'm a bit leery of trying that without checking to make sure I won't harm anything.

Anyone happen to know if this might be a quick volume boost until the headphone speakers arrive?

Thanks, as always...

Bob
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 7:39 am

My Autocom setup (Active PLUS) doesn't have a noise sensor, so I'm not sure what to tell you. I did turn my volume control all the way up, and also I reduced the sensitivity on the VOX as well, because mic input that breaks the vox causes the music to mute, but with my setup the GPS and phone share an input and never mute, so the VOX adjustment just stopped the music cutting out.

post #15 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Got the speakers, and they're sure loud! Having a bit of a hassle getting them in, though. In your write-up you used Rubber Cement. The stuff I've got is kind of thin and watery, and is taking forever to dry. Got any hints on this? You mention that you could do the job again in 30 minutes. My glue wouldn't be dry in that amount of time.

Thanks!
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 7:07 pm

Quote:
You mention that you could do the job again in 30 minutes. My glue wouldn't be dry in that amount of time.
The rubber cement I used (comes in a little brown jar with a brush integrated with the lid) dries pretty fast. It's not watery at all.

I put/left the black foam cover on the actual speaker units, and glued the circular foam piece to the back of the speakers with rubber cement, then stuck/glued the oval shaped plastic piece from the autocom speakers to that. I think I'd leave out the plastic piece if I did it again, and just stick/glue the velcro oval from the autocom piece directly to the foam that's (now) attached to the speaker.

It all holds together great, and a year and 10000 miles later the speakers are holding up just fine.

Yep, they're loud. And I have my autocom turned up all the way too. It's uncomfortable unless I wear earplugs, but with earplugs in it works great even at highway speeds. If you're not a fan of earplugs you can probably turn down the volume on the autocom and get a decent experience.

post #17 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Ah, I guess I need another kind of rubber cement, or my wife suggested a glue gun which sounds like it would work too. We'll get them in there.

Actually, the whole point of this exercise, for me, is that I just started wearing ear plugs and I couldn't hear the GPS with them in. I have to wear the plugs, now. Once I tried them, I could never go back to the roar of the wind slowly killing what's left of my hearing.

Without the plugs, I could hear it fine, even without cranking up the Autocom. But with them, I could just barely hear the GPS even with the windshield all the way up (which isn't how I ride.)

Thanks again for the tips! I'm sure I'll find the correct glue shortly.
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Got it nailed! I can ride with face shield open, and highway speeds, and hear phone calls, GPS, etc., without *any* problems. Yeehaa!

Thanks bonafide!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in