BMW CB radio antenna - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

BMW CB radio antenna

My 2007 LT has the standard AM/FM radio located on the left side. The description for the CB radio antenna kit says it installs on the left side opposite the standard radio antenna which is on the right side. Since I can't install both on the left side, can anyone tell me if th mounting brackets work on either side? Is this just a typo in the CB antenna description? Did my dealer install the AM/FM radio antenna on the wrong side?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Aug 2nd, 2009 at 3:39 pm. Reason: Forgot to subscribe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 5:52 pm

Re: BMW CB radio antenna

My '02 LT had a CB installed by BMW as part of the trim package back then.

Sitting on the bike, my AM/FM/WB is on the left side and the CB is on the right and is slightly taller. I think it's a misprint.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
My '02 LT had a CB installed by BMW as part of the trim package back then.

Sitting on the bike, my AM/FM/WB is on the left side and the CB is on the right and is slightly taller. I think it's a misprint.
Thanks, that matches the location of hte AM/FM on my 2007. Another question: is there a PTT for the passenger? The ad also says that both PTTs are included, but I've read other places that the passenger PTT is extra as is the antenna.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:46 pm
Gold Supporter

My CB Antenna was on the right side on both my 05 and 06. Both had the PTT for the passenger, but it was extra and didn't come with the CB.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I installed the BMW CB on my 2007 LT last summer. Sitting on the bike, the AM/FM antenna is on the left and I installed the CB antenna on the right. If I remember, I separately purchased the driver's PTT button, but not one for the passenger. The installation instructions are vague at best, but there is a lot of great information on this site to help with the install. Make sure you ground the antenna well, as that seems to be where most folks have their install problems. Good luck.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:41 pm

AFAIK, the factory CB antenna has *always* been on the rider's right. Sounds like a typo in the instructions.

On the PTT, years ago the various intercoms came with 2 PTTs. At least since the VOICE II, there is only the rider's PTT included.

On my last LT, I simply purchased a spare PTT (as I recall, the PTT kit came with the rider's handlebar bracket), drilled a hole where marked on the back of the lower right trunk panel, and ran two wires from the rear PTT to the front PTT harness. There's nothing fancy about the signals on the PTT line -- closing either switch simply completes the circuit, telling the intercom to open the mics.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:50 pm

The BMW PTT switches are fairly pricey. The reality is that any single pole momentary push button switch, preferably water proof, will work. I believe all it's doing is completing the circuit to ground.
The left and right side antenna mounting brackets are not identical. They are mirror images of each other.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 10 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
The BMW PTT switches are fairly pricey. The reality is that any single pole momentary push button switch, preferably water proof, will work. I believe all it's doing is completing the circuit to ground.
The left and right side antenna mounting brackets are not identical. They are mirror images of each other.
Absolutely correct, Lynn -- nothing more than a couple pieces of metal touching one another.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Thanks, that matches the location of hte AM/FM on my 2007. Another question: is there a PTT for the passenger? The ad also says that both PTTs are included, but I've read other places that the passenger PTT is extra as is the antenna.
When I purchased a PTT (for use with a GMRS) for my '2007 LT, there were two buttons in the kit with a mounting bracket and hardware for the front which cost about $60. The kit did not include a rubber boot for the front button, however. The part reference is listed below:

BMW Push to Talk Button Kit - BMW 82000419352

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #10 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 6:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
When I purchased a PTT (for use with a GMRS) for my '2007 LT, there were two buttons in the kit with a mounting bracket and hardware for the front which cost about $60. The kit did not include a rubber boot for the front button, however. The part reference is listed below:

BMW Push to Talk Button Kit - BMW 82000419352
Jim, to ensure I understand you correctly, do you mean the kit included two switches, one with brackets for the front handlebar mount and another switch, but with no mounting hardware? Did the rear button/switch come with a wiring pigtail and connector to the BMW CB harness?

Thanks,
Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in