Baehr K1200LT issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Baehr K1200LT issue

I took the tour pack off the bike to do some electrical work on the backend of the bike. Since remaking the connections at the rear, I've lost the rear speakers and sound into the headsets. If I break the power connection at the control unit, rear speakers come back on.

And since we're losing out US importer, there is no one to ask questions of, not the they had a tech person for the Baehr in the first place.

So you Baehr users, speak up.

p.s. I've also sent an email to Baehr GmhB to see wha their response is.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 1:48 pm

Re: Baehr K1200LT issue

If it was working PRIOR to your disconnecting, now it does not .... A dirty connector pin or within the master harness connections or connections not made correctly or fully together would be my first place to look.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #3 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 1:49 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Steve:

Please call me at 916-715-2735.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Volume all the way to the rear no change. Since I had the power completely disconnected, I wonder if I need to go through the preliminary adjustments again, if there are any.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #5 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:57 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I'm back.

I would check and re-check all your connections. It seems to me either the unit is not powered or there are other issues.

Check and see if you and Connie can use it as intercom. That would tell me that it has power.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #6 of 22 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

I'm back and was able to get Connie to help me out tonight with the diagnosis. There is NO intercom available between the rider and the pillion. There is nothing live when either headset plugs in. So I don't know whether the problem is in the power unit or the silver box on top of the battery. All I know is if I disconnect the power lead to the silver box, I get sound in the rear speakers and if I plug it in the sound goes away. Friend checked is unit and he has sound in the rear speakers with the silver box connected to power.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #7 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:28 am

Not sure what pair of pins on the DRIVERS helmet connection is the power up loop, But the Baehr LT system is powered up by connecting the drivers helmet to the pig tail from unit.

Contact Raffy if you have not already and ask him

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 7:43 am Thread Starter

I understand that Scott. My answer was in response to Raffy's question just above my last post.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #9 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:55 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Steve:

Please do this test.

Unplug the black box from the Baehr unit but keep it attached inline with the center barrel connections of the speakers.

Get your multimeter out and test the pins in the Baehr side of the plug. With the stereo off and then with the stereo on that way you can figure out which pin in the plug is supplying power (if it actually is). If there is no power coming through the plug, I suspect one of two three things:
  1. Bad plug pin
  2. Bad connection in the barrel connectors
  3. bad black box
Now if you have power there at the plug, the issue may be:
  1. Bad Baehr unit
  2. Bad lower cord
  3. Bad helmet headset.
Ideally you need to find another LT owner with a Baehr unit to:
  1. Test your headset
  2. Test your Baehr unit using their black box.
Hope this helps.

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:51 am.
post #10 of 22 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks Raffy, I'll see if I can find pinout infomation anywhere in the Baehr package. If not it will be a trial and error method. I'm going to check the barrel connectors first to see if anything is pushed back. Then off to work with the multimeter.

It will be two weeks before I'll be able to try the Baehr unit test. I'll be staying the first night of my outbound trip with a friend that has a Baehr comm system. Don't know anyone else in the Atlanta area that has one.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #11 of 22 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I took the tour pack off the bike to do some electrical work on the backend of the bike. Since remaking the connections at the rear, I've lost the rear speakers and sound into the headsets. If I break the power connection at the control unit, rear speakers come back on.

And since we're losing out US importer, there is no one to ask questions of, not the they had a tech person for the Baehr in the first place.

So you Baehr users, speak up.

p.s. I've also sent an email to Baehr GmhB to see wha their response is.
Steve,

As an owner of four Baehr units, I am intrigued by the response, or lack thereof, from Baehr GmbH regarding their abandonment of the North American market.

As the North American Director of a European manufacturing firm, I have found myself directly embroiled in the differences of customer service/support as viewed from Europeans and compared to those of us in North America. This indifference (or outright arrogance) is really becoming difficult to overlook with regard to Baehr.

I do not pretend to know the reasons for Baehr's distribution change in North America, nor do I feel as though it is germane to this commentary. Regardless of their reasons, it was a pre-mature business decision that was made without regard to the North American customer base. At the very least, the change should have been made AFTER a suitable replacement was found. Leaving an established clientele stripped of service and utterly abandoned is irresponsible, arrogant and ethically repugnant.

I would really like to hear the opinions of others on this site regarding this subject. Are we to accept a German manufacturer who ignores the input of the North American market? Are we expected to continue to pay a premium for the opportunity to be abused? Wow, there are a lot of parallels with BMW ownership, aren't there?

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #12 of 22 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:49 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I'm not privy to everything. However I was informed that the Baehr distributor in the US did not want to continue selling Baehr products since it was not their core business.

My take is Baehr USA started going downhill when they let go of Carl first and then Tom. Carl was the tech guru and Tom and I would try to solve problems putting both of our experiences together. The next guy didn't want to handle questions and everything was routed to me for a while.

Baehr USA was up for sale for a while but no one in this economy wanted to sink $s buying inventory. I thought real hard about buying it but then there were a few things that held me back from jumping in..

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:52 am.
post #13 of 22 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
......I would really like to hear the opinions of others on this site regarding this subject. Are we to accept a German manufacturer who ignores the input of the North American market? Are we expected to continue to pay a premium for the opportunity to be abused? Wow, there are a lot of parallels with BMW ownership, aren't there? John
Agree John. With the explosion of the internet and the proliferation of discussion forums like this, today's vendors and manufactures have to be very mindful in supporting their products, and treating every customer with respect. If they don't word gets out VERY fast...and people are exponentially more likely to share the details a negative experience, versus a positive one (a well known, and much studied human behavior). I'm certainly questioning whether I made the right choice by getting a Baehr intercomm system.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #14 of 22 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

I got a response from Baehr headquarters the other day. They haven't a clue as to what I'm experiencing so pull it all off and send it to the them for diagnosis. Still some things to try here first.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #15 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Need some help

Is there anyone on the list that wouldn't mind pulling the pillion seat and see if you can figure out which pin should have 12v on it from the RDU to the control head. Picking up ground from the battery or the shield on the 7 pin plug isn't telling me Bo Didley. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is in the RDU or the control head.

I know this really close to CCR to be working on this, but I haven't been home enough lately to do any diagnostic work. Push come to shove and I'll remount the old Autocom to get to CCR and back.

Thanks in advance.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #16 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 1:48 pm

Should be a brown wire, Steve... I don't have that device so can't tell you on the RDU... what's an RDU... Remote Display Unit?
post #17 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Actually Chan, it's a RPU, Remote Power Unit. This whole set up picks up it's power from the barrel connectors under the passenger seat. You don't have to find power like you do for other comm systems.

With that being said, I've got the bugger fixed. Doug Allison out of Keller, TX PM'ed me and asked me what I needed and to give him a call. After a quick call to talk about what I was trying to do, Doug said he'd call me back with voltages seen on the pins that run from the RPU to the control head.

I'd had one barrel connector that had been giving me fits to get on and off taking a lot more twist power than it should. So I got it apart and gave the twist lock a 1/4 farther than it had been going with it disconnected. I mated it back up and got a real smooth rotation to full lock. I turned the key switch on and checked the connector from the RPU to the controller again. In previous attempts, none of the connections points had any power to them at all, this time I had .11v on three of the 7 pins and music from rear speakers. Well the sound from the rear speakers had been there before with the controller disconnected. Turned the bike off, and plugged the RPU and the controller together and powered up again and I had sound from the rear speakers with everything plugged in. Grabbed the helmet and plugged it and I GOT TUNES in the headset.

Now when the iPhone gets here on Monday, I'll need to load up and get the FREE Rhapsody App and I'll be good for CCR.

Thanks to everyone that had a hand in working through this with me. This really is THE site for any BMW rider.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Well dang Steve now you have Voices in your head & working trailer light. Better then lights in your head & voices in your trailer.
I've had a problem with Sammies head set for a few months. She can her music , me talking & cell phone but I would not her her talking. I was also getting a bad squeal with the VOX turned on. I pulled both mics out of our helmets to compare them. Looks likes Sammies had a pinched wire so I pulled it apart and rewired it then reinstalled it in the helmet. We just tested it & now everything works like it was new.
BTW
ARE WE THEE YET ?

Stevie Shreeve
post #19 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Not there yet on two counts. One is because departure is still a week a way.

Secondly, everything worked until I put one barrel set up under the trunk and put the pillion seat back on. Now I have no sound AGAIN!!! I'm beginning to suspect the problem is the RPU. I just hope Raffy still has one in stock and can bring it to CCR with him.

Only 6 more wakes ups until departure day!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #20 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:38 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Sorry, no gots Steve:

Make sure you are not pinching any cables when re-installing the seat or stressing the cable. BTDT DAMHIK

Raffy
post #21 of 22 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

My problem is once it quits working it takes a couple of hours to figure out what is going on.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #22 of 22 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Steve,
I would really like to hear the opinions of others on this site regarding this subject. Are we to accept a German manufacturer who ignores the input of the North American market? Are we expected to continue to pay a premium for the opportunity to be abused? Wow, there are a lot of parallels with BMW ownership, aren't there?
John
Yes, and it is happening more and more.
Not to worry though, as china gets more manufacturing from the Germans and the U.S. this will change, they will be the next Japan, building a better product with far less pricing, just like japan did in the auto and mc industry years ago, and they will have the germans and US paying for the high tech plants to do this

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in