Cell Phone and the VOICE II Communicator - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Cell Phone and the VOICE II Communicator

I have a 2008 K1200LT with a dealer installed VOICE II Communications System. I have been unable to get the cell phone to work properly while driving. When the engine is off, the phone works fine with me able to accept and make calls clearly. When I crank the engine, I loose the ability to talk...I can still hear but the other party only hears "engine noise" or nothing at all.

My last LT everything worked fine with me able to make and receive calls at highway speed.

I have been back and forth with J&M and they insist it is not the headset. I plugged into another LT and same symptoms.

Another LT driver stated he heard this was a German thing and that if a second headset was not plugged into the comm system, nothing worked correctly.

I have swapped cell phones, chords and no change.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks,

-jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 11:11 am

Re: Cell Phone and the VOICE II Communicator

I have a similar setup although I have a autocom unit that everything is plugged into. I had a lot of noise using my Valantine One Audio connector and fixed it with a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator. You can use only one lead or cut the leads of to make a custom install. It completely eleminated all noise for under 20.00.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...oductId=2062214
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:49 pm

I have an 06 LT with the Voicecom II. I had to purchase a special cord from BMW to get my LG Envy ( verizon ) to work properly with the system. Same symptoms as yours, before I got the BMW cord, I could hear the caller, but they couldn't hear my mic.

Now that I have a new phone, an LG Dare, problem is back. The Dare has a different size jack than my Envy, and BMW does not make a cord with a plug the size I need. Tried using different adapters, but none worked. Probably going to have to figure out some sort of blue tooth solution.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
I have an 06 LT with the Voicecom II. I had to purchase a special cord from BMW to get my LG Envy ( verizon ) to work properly with the system. Same symptoms as yours, before I got the BMW cord, I could hear the caller, but they couldn't hear my mic.

Now that I have a new phone, an LG Dare, problem is back. The Dare has a different size jack than my Envy, and BMW does not make a cord with a plug the size I need. Tried using different adapters, but none worked. Probably going to have to figure out some sort of blue tooth solution.
Do you have a multimeter you can use to check the connections of the cord you have that works? If you can verify the connection of the tip, ring and sleeve on one end to those on the other end, you can probably buy jacks of the right size and solder together your own cable.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Do you have a multimeter you can use to check the connections of the cord you have that works? If you can verify the connection of the tip, ring and sleeve on one end to those on the other end, you can probably buy jacks of the right size and solder together your own cable.
That's a good idea. I really suck at soldering, but there is a local electronics shop that might be willing to do it.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 7:36 am

I don't have my cord with me but as I recall the male plug on the BMW cord has an extra segement making it a four wire connector and thats why you get no mike. Your plug does not reach the fourth contact in the jack so it does not make a mike connection.

Bruce Buchner

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarshall8901
I have a 2008 K1200LT with a dealer installed VOICE II Communications System. I have been unable to get the cell phone to work properly while driving. When the engine is off, the phone works fine with me able to accept and make calls clearly. When I crank the engine, I loose the ability to talk...I can still hear but the other party only hears "engine noise" or nothing at all.

My last LT everything worked fine with me able to make and receive calls at highway speed.

I have been back and forth with J&M and they insist it is not the headset. I plugged into another LT and same symptoms.

Another LT driver stated he heard this was a German thing and that if a second headset was not plugged into the comm system, nothing worked correctly.

I have swapped cell phones, chords and no change.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks,

-jim
Hello? It's a motorcycle! Throw the cell phone and the wrist watch away and ride! I doubt that you (Mr. President) are that important that a call can't wait till you stop to pee or get a cold one!

OMG... LOL!

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #8 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks...any idea how to blue tooth into the VOICE? some kinda 1.5mm dongle?
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 5:18 pm

+1 on the 4-pole pin for the Voice II (07 LT). Fixed my LG connecting problem. Still no ring in the headset, tho (LG thing), but the phone works to talk, etc. I do miss my Autocom that was on the 02; miss it more since W has one on the Spyder.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I have a similar setup although I have a autocom unit that everything is plugged into. I had a lot of noise using my Valantine One Audio connector and fixed it with a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator. You can use only one lead or cut the leads of to make a custom install. It completely eleminated all noise for under 20.00.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...oductId=2062214
Thanks Tony....I ordered the Ground Loop Isolator from radio shack!
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 27th, 2012, 8:42 pm

I second the request for someone with a working 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable to break out a multimeter and report the electrical connections from one end to the other. I've tried the three pin and 4 pin cables with rx audio, but never rx audio.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in