The best place to hang a Kenwood Freetalk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 1st, 2009, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

The best place to hang a Kenwood Freetalk

I use a Kenwood Freetalk in conjunction with my Autocom for bike to bike comms. I'm still looking for a rational place to hang the unit that is both secure and yet amenable to easy removal (we use them for off-the-bike comms when wandering around).

So far, I've wound up dragging two of them when they became unhooked from one place or another. I've tried clipping them to the belt-straps on my First Gear jacket but that was neither secure nor convenient. I've tried dangling them from the rack on a good strap, but the unit case creates rub marks on the tupperware when it comes into contact.

I'll figure something out--the next effort will be to put some strapping on the Corbin's backrest pillar--but I thought perhaps someone might have already invented the wheel.

Thanks.

Larry Johnson
El Paso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 1st, 2009, 9:14 pm

Re: The best place to hang a Kenwood Freetalk

If you have a tank bag, can you put in there? Either part-way in (with antenna pointing out), or fully inside? I put my iCom in the side zipper compartment of my tank bag, zippering it shut around the radio until it is standing upright. Probably not totally secure but it does the job.

Thinking about it now, that was the old Chicane tank bag. My newer RKA tank bag does not have an external pocket so I'll have to figure something else out next time I use the iCom.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 1st, 2009, 9:26 pm

I mounted my GMRS to the left side of the bike, forward of the antenna. I used a pedestal base and velcro, finnished off with a tie-wrap.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 8:00 am

Mine is safely stowed in the top case. Once I set the frequency and the volume, I don't need to touch it.

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 7:37 pm

One thing you guys might want to consider is the effects of cross-polarizatoin. If your radio is horizontal and the other people in your party are vertical, you will get greatly degraded performance. The radios were intended to be vertically polarized and using them horizontal can mean a 20 dB loss. Considering that for every 3 db, you lose half of your power and you're effective radiated power is pretty bad.

This is one reason you may want to consider remote mounting your antenna. That can be done on GMRS radios but not FRS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in